Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Gameplay Snippets on Twitch E3 2016 Broadcast

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

Obsidian's Brian Heins showed up on Twitch's E3 broadcast today to talk about Tyranny. Sadly, there was no actual gameplay footage, but the (rather clueless) hosts did play some sort of looping reel of gameplay snippets while Brian answered their questions. It's the best look we've gotten at the game so far. Check it out:

As for new information, there wasn't much of it. Brian mentions that the game has over 80 areas. The story is focused on human vs human politics, and the only non-human race are the Beastmen, who are primitive, semi-intelligent humanoids. Oh, and apparently there's going to be some sort of "combat scaling" mechanism such that enemies will never be too far above your level. This really is going to be like an isometric Elder Scrolls!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't believe Lacrymas or Bubbles didn't mention that in the GRPG thread. Maybe they thought it was old information.

LilSassy

Novice
I hope when he said that there WOULD be some sort of 'combat scaling' that he really meant that there WOULDN'T be any kind of combat scaling. Must just be a typo.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Scaling that upgrades enemies a bit to make them at least somewhat interesting if you are "too strong" I find acceptable.
Scaling that downgrades enemies so that you can have an easier time if you are stupidly running around in an area you shouldn't be - ugh :/

Sannom

Augur
Scaling that upgrades enemies a bit to make them at least somewhat interesting if you are "too strong" I find acceptable.
Even that can lead to some ridiculous situations though. I've never played it myself, but I've heard of the Fallout 3 examples in which all enemies are damage sponges and pretty much every random encounter is made up of deathclaws.

Granted, it can be less problematic if the scaled-up enemies are all humans and if there is a good reason to explain why stronger and stronger groups would start going against you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well Bg2 also had scaling enemies and we never figured it out or felt it is out of place so it can be done well. As long as it is not done in a way that all enemies wear glass/daedra armor when you are stronger.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Oh, and apparently there's going to be some sort of "combat scaling" mechanism such that enemies will never be too far above your level. This really is going to be like an isometric Elder Scrolls!

Obsidian really is in the midst of an ongoing spiral of decline, what a shit move from an ever more shit developer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Or maybe it's a return to the award-winning design of Knights of the Old Republic 2. :troll:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh god, those hosts were hilarious. They kept thinking it was a moba (asked about 4 manning a lane, "trolling" teammates, and how players would enter online). The girl also said that a level 9999 demon spawned in pillars of eternity when she dug up the grave yard. What?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh god, those hosts were hilarious. They kept thinking it was a moba (asked about 4 manning a lane, "trolling" teammates, and how players would enter online). The girl also said that a level 9999 demon spawned in pillars of eternity when she dug up the grave yard. What?

I thought maybe she was talking about the Cean Gwla in the Heritage Hill tomb.

But I'm not sure how you go from thinking you're looking at a multiplayer game to talking about how Tyranny is a follow-up to Pillars of Eternity. Maybe they thought that had multiplayer too. :M

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I'm trying to watch the video, but I'm hating the hosts. Can someone tell if the combat system will be the same as the one in PoE, or are they making any improvements?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm trying to watch the video, but I'm hating the hosts. Can someone tell if the combat system will be the same as the one in PoE, or are they making any improvements?
Depends what you are looking for in terms of improvements. From what I gathered, there are no classes. Instead, you piece together what abilities or traits you want without much restriction. At some point, some of the player and companion abilities can combo together. Also, the party sizes will be smaller overall.

Otherwise, it looks like Real Time with Pause, which definitely will put some people off. I cannot tell if there is an engagement type system or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom