Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Now we find out that the guy was their dear brother and they will never forgive us. (Though thankfully anime girls always forgive - and sometimes even couple with - villains no matter who they kill.)

lightbane

Arcane
Now we find out that the guy was their dear brother and they will never forgive us. (Though thankfully anime girls always forgive - and sometimes even couple with - villains no matter who they kill.)
You say that as if Erd is actually going to get laid at some point. Admit it, he's not Jing and he'll never be. Quite a shame indeed.

Please. He could be Jing 10x if he didn't have the...er...problem. The only other reason he doesn't have more girlfriends is that not many in this thread know how to kidnap woo the ladies and that treave has taken us off the easy-mode of rollbacks we had in Legend.

It's probably for the best. With the rollbacks no one took our mistakes seriously anymore. At least there is more apprehension -even if it does cost us a plotline every time we make a mistake.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Defense of the Dark Tower

“Carve a wound of nothingness; let the foundation of this world be sundered. Reality Tear.” With a sweep of your hand, you conjure your new magic. A thin black line materializes in front of you. It runs across the glyph, the incoming wave of energy, and the man responsible for the attack. There is a loud crack as the bisected world slides slightly apart, misaligned along the black line, before snapping back together. The glyph shatters, the wave is dispersed, and the man has an expression of confusion that is slowly parted by a deep red line gradually widening down the middle of his face. He falls, split exactly in half by your spell like a chopped up chicken on a butcher’s block. His steaming entrails are dumped all over the polished gray floor along with the unidentifiable contents of whatever he had eaten before so rudely attacking your territory. You idly wonder if there are enough goblins left to clean up the place. The sublime scent of gore sends a familiar tingle down your spine, but it is quickly suppressed. It is nothing you cannot handle by now, after all this time in this body.

The two women accompanying the man seem too surprised at his sudden death to even scream, let alone attack you in revenge for their fallen comrade. Though you had decided to spare them, judging from the sounds of fighting outside it looks like the invasion is not yet over; the enemy still has bodies to throw at you. With a wave of your hand you lull them into a deep magical sleep – an easy task, when they are not fighting back and shocked into immobility. The spell will hold until you manage to get everything back under control and can devote more of your attention to them.

But it would not do to leave them lying on the floor, right where their dead companion’s blood could stain their delicate faces. Taking a few extra minutes to make sure everything is perfect, you stash the two in a corner and incinerate the unsightly remains of the man.

“Well, that’s that,” you mutter, activating Universal Translation to make sure you can properly mock any enemies you encounter on your way out. “Barbatos! Awaken!”

The demonic gauntlet responds immediately. “Oh, art we back in business already, boy? Magnificent! Guhahahahaha!”

“You certainly woke up quite quickly,” you say. “I thought I would have to knock you around a bit before you started talking again.”

“In matters of long slumber I am highly experienced, young angel,” gloats Barbatos. “That was no more than a brief wink of an eye, all things considered. Still, I would appreciate it if you would no longer go diving into warded territory before ascertaining the danger.”

“A minor oversight. Worry not, it shan’t happen again. Now, first things first…” Raising your head to the hole in the ceiling, you stretch your wings and flap. You have not had much experience with flight, particularly with these set of feathered appendages, but it comes to you as naturally as if you had known how all your life. You lift off the ground and soar up, through the roof and to the very top of the tower.

There, you have the perfect vantage point. You see with your own eyes that the gray tower is now but the peak of a massive, sprawling fortress of black iron. The fortress is aflame, as is the forest around it. Countless figures, as tiny as ants at this distance, are battling all along the tall, dark walls. You can make out the flags and pennants of the human soldiers, engaged in combat with the smooth, pale forms of the golem army you had heard about. Here and there, scattered about the fortress, are groups of goblins who appear to be acting as commanding units for the golems. You manage to spot Runde amongst one of those squads, wearing a tall hat familar in size and shape and waving a staff around. He is mounted on Lucy, herself covered in horned iron plates that made her look positively menacing. Further out in the burning forest, you see a multi-coloured wave of slimes assaulting the enemy’s encampment along with a small army of bandits that appears to be Fortunio’s men. So far the conditions on both fronts appear to be in a stalemate, with not much headway being made by either side.

“How about it, boy? Shall we go in smashing and punching? You haven’t had much occasion to use your fist in a long time. This is a good opportunity for practice!”

You watch over the battlefield again, then decide to…

A. Assist Runde and Lucy first. You need to secure your walls and ensure the enemy does not penetrate further into your fortress.

B. Assist the slimes and Fortunio first. The enemy forces will be thrown into chaos if their encampment is destroyed.

1. You will join the fight personally, fighting in the thick of things. Barbatos is right, you might need a bit more exercise to warm yourself up.
2. Why go to such hassle when you can just bombard the enemies with your spells from the top of the tower? It would be quicker, too.

C. You do not see Zayan anywhere, though knowing her, she is probably somewhere deep within the fortress. You decide to find and secure her first before doing anything about the battle.

Kipeci

Arcane
Oof. Not an easy choice, this one... I'm glad to see that Barbatos took the being locked away fairly well. Perhaps we should ask him for tips on occupying oneself while sealed away for thousands of years.

It pains me to neglect Lucy and the slimes, but Zayan is the true cornerstone of our operation and without her work on the Golems none of this tower and swarming army business would have been possible. We have to make sure she won't be kidnapped to face 'justice' over such trivial matters as human rights.

C > B*

If we do have to help out before Zayan, it's best to take advantage of our strengths and obliterate the enemy where they are weak so that even their strong will fall into confusion. I don't care about the method.

lightbane

Arcane
The lines of death! They have returned! Shiki Senya approves. And Lucy and Runde are still alive! Even the thieves are fighting!
Well, we better take advantage of the battle to smash the enemy's leadership, and with it, their morale.

The sublime scent of gore sends a familiar tingle down your spine, but it is quickly suppressed. It is nothing you cannot handle by now, after all this time in this body.
Fortunately Erd is capable of learning how to control his impulses, even though he's prone to indulge in his particular vices.

While going there and killing everything with our bare hands sounds cool, it would only work well with the goblins, since they already know of our true form. Fortunio does not and it would be preferable he's still kept in the dark. Therefore, I vote for:

A1>B1

EDIT: On second thought, casting lightning bolts from the tower risks damaging our troops, so better not. Besides, I fotgot that Erd has invisibility and face-changing spells, so recognition shouldn't be an issue. Besides, if our goblins see their god has returned and is assisting them in person, their morale will skyrocket and fight harder.

Last edited:

Kayerts

Arcane
Zayan's important, but she's also likely to be holed up in a defensible location, with numerous golem bodyguards. It's possible that an elite deep-striking team could sneak behind our defenses and snag her, but I believe we just took out the deep-striking team. I think securing the walls secures Zayan.

As for manner of defense, I'm sure we'd get a stat increase if we punched people to death, but I think roughly 100% of our remaining assets are under attack right now, so it's probably not the best time to grind up our close combat skills.

A2

Kipeci

Arcane
Wasn't our tower at the top of this place supposed to be the most defensible position by far? I think that treave wouldn't present this choice if all of them weren't facing some sort of risk. Now we've got to make a choice, and it's going to have a meaningful impact.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Zayan is the base of our military power at the moment. As much as it pains me, I have to choose her over our slimes and bovine friend.

C.

Zwist

Learned
Honestly C. is more about keeping Zayan from doing something stupid, than saving her.
And yeah, she is our most important asset, but running away from the main battle, on basis of a hunch, while being the deciding trump card, might be a bit rash.

That being said, flying on top of the tower and gigadyning everything, sounds like the most hassle free way of doing things. And I don't feel like working.
It should announce our presence to everyone as well, which could help morale. Con: any mage will have no problem targeting us at all. Lets hope there is no competent mage around.

A1. Fuck the walls. We must care for our girls. Save Lucy.

Kayerts

Arcane
Wasn't our tower at the top of this place supposed to be the most defensible position by far? I think that treave wouldn't present this choice if all of them weren't facing some sort of risk. Now we've got to make a choice, and it's going to have a meaningful impact.

Not every choice is Sophie's Choice; c.f. every time we ignored Cao'er in Legend and she managed to not only survive but remained unflaggingly devoted to Jing. Conversely, sometimes we're given the option to protect someone who's totally capable of taking care of themself, at indirect expense someone who isn't.

Zayan is one of the more defensively capable allies we've had. If we secure the walls, then the only threat to Zayan is a covert ops squad that slips in to nab her and slips out before we've secured the fortress, then eludes us on its way back to Dijeh. Is that possible? Sure, but it seems likelier that some yet-unseen dynamic (high-powered enemy combatant, enemy reserve forces) joins the fray in the main battle and tips the scales in our enemies' favor.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm just suggesting than given the enemy is specifically on a mission to assault this place to grab Zayan with the efforts of a whole nation and likely people who knew her, there is a decent chance that she will be in trouble especially given how overrun the fortress seems to be.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
B2.

Collapse their rear line with artillery where they are a concentrated force and not mixed together with our forces. Plus, staying on top of the tower lets us see how the battlefiled changes and react, where if we lightning elemental punch on the ground we lose situational awareness. If there is any Zayan craziness we can react faster but still act to preserve our mundane forces. We also draw any super powered heroes or magics to us and deal with them away from our ground forces.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
B2.

Collapse their rear line with artillery where they are a concentrated force and not mixed together with our forces. Plus, staying on top of the tower lets us see how the battlefiled changes and react, where if we lightning elemental punch on the ground we lose situational awareness. If there is any Zayan craziness we can react faster but still act to preserve our mundane forces. We also draw any super powered heroes or magics to us and deal with them away from our ground forces.

This isn't a bad plan. Alternating my contingency flip-flop.

lightbane

Arcane
I don't know if people noticed (or cared), but... Congratulations, this CYOA is 1 year old already! As expected, the main character is nowhere close to get laid, but at least he hasn't suffered a bad end yet. Let's see how long that will last...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom