Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found System Shock 2 so boring I didn't even bother finishing it. Not sure an update of the original would be any more appealing to me.
:retarded:

Looks like a lot of the comments are already complaining about an added skill/perk leveling system which is fine by me but at the same time there are quite a few begging for a PS4 version... :negative:

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn the devs all look low T as fuck:

bdhdnz.jpg

Doesn't bode well..
All their T producing organs are in that bag being carried by the guy to the right.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Seems the devs either do not understand, or do not care for the fact that system shock was an action game first and foremost.

surely you are mistaken

system shock is a game about listening to audio logs and becoming immersed in the lore, action game elements would harm it <:^)

mindx2

Patron
All their T producing organs are in that bag being carried by the guy to the right.
You should be more worried about the girl wearing fallout 4 shirt and the Fallout 3 special case lying on the table...
Oh crap, you're right! I didn't even notice that. All I saw was the creepy serial killer-looking guy with the headphones on and the guy with the bloody bag of... what is in that bag...?

m_s0

Arcane
New Prey and System Shock remake?I didn't know MCA was such a System Shock fan

INB4 SHODAN turns out to be his waifu.

Though I think it would be cool if a Chris Avellone would be counted among the dead on Citadel Station. "Killed by his own creation", or "Died doing what he loved", or something like that.
Avellone's been pretty outspoken about SS2:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=1473.0;wap2

2. When commenting on System Shock 2, which many consider an RPG, you said:

"System Shock 2 was almost a role-playing game. Almost. They had the character stuff down, the skill stuff down, but you never really made a choice, in my opinion. The ending was set; your path was set. If, at one point, there was a moment where you could've made one decision that changed the ending, that would've made it a barebones role-playing game, and a good one."

Bioshock gives you a few choices, yet it's a pale shadow of its glorious predecessor. Mass Effect 2 has much better choices than the first game, yet it's a shooter with choices (unless, of course, you disagree). Any thoughts?

Chris Avellone: Bioshock is a shooter with choices, it's the lack of character construction phase that prevents an RPG comparison. This is fine because Bioshock's not billed that way and I had a lot of fun (and fear) while playing it. I also don't mean the a set persona for the main character prevents the RPG experience, either, I'm talking about the choices in building that persona with different paths at the outset, which you had in System Shock 2 with the interactive career path options.

Regardless, I did not go into SS2 expecting an RPG. What I did get was a great game. There's a reason I continually cite System Shock 2 as a "design doc" game developers should play - it got so many things about the game experience right, it's a must-play title.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You should be more worried about the girl wearing fallout 4 shirt and the Fallout 3 special case lying on the table...
Oh crap, you're right! I didn't even notice that. All I saw was the creepy serial killer-looking guy with the headphones on and the guy with the bloody bag of... what is in that bag...?
His hopes and dreams for the project.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why the hell are they composing new music, and orchestral music to begin with? It's a remake so why not just re-record the original soundtrack?

Perkel

Arcane
Finished demo:

- graphics are fucking on point i must say.
- most of the systems work pretty well and imo with that kind of polish for their vertical slice they could add few new levels and release it for 5$ and i would bought it.
- At first lighting effects were annoying but after finishing i must say it fits style a lot.
- Nice blaster fx on pseudo zombies when you shoot them

Imo A+ demo for kickstarter. Hopefuly they will deliver with full game.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
durendal's demo impressions:
098d1cb5839dfb4224e4cc82f110cd90.png

FOV slider only goes up to 90, crashed after my first time of getting into combat, no graphics options other than resolution changes and borderless/windowed/fullscreen, runs like hot dogshit even on lower resolutions
:1/5: the franchise is raped

Starwars

Arcane
Also, it will have new, Avellone fueled, AAA, narrative superstorytelling.

And Brian Fargo endorsed it, just like every other reboot ever.

---

Arcane
What will be Avellone role? He will just write an audiolog full of metaphizical and philozophical thoughts?

Starwars

Arcane
What will be Avellone role? He will just write an audiolog full of metaphizical and philozophical thoughts?

Something something working with creative director something something has worked on many projects something something bringing AAA quality to System Shock something something.

Gord

Arcane
Played the demo a bit.
The overall art style is a pretty good reimagination of the old game. Demo level looks "right".
I liked how you interact with keypads and such.
Sound design still needs work, as it seems to be pretty barebones so far.
Some animations will likely get annoying. They look nice the first and second time, but after the 10th? The 100th?

That being said - demo is quite short and ends before things start to get interesting.
It's nice to see one from a kickstarter, though.

---

Arcane
I spent all my game-savings for the amazing Stygian this month, so I dunno if I will pledge this one :obviously:
Also, why there isn't the usual 15 € tier for the very basic downloadable version? :decline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When did these guys change their name to "Nightdive Studios"?

I spent all my game-savings for the amazing Stygian this month, so I dunno if I will pledge this one :obviously:
Also, why there isn't the usual 15 € tier for the very basic downloadable version? :decline:

That hasn't been "usual" for big budget Kickstarters for a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom