Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: The Explorer's Guide

Septaryeth

Augur
That's still not "cosmic logic" or anything even close to it. It also suffers from the basic problem of the Tides: it's pretty hard to intuitively grasp what kinds of actions are attuned to which type of tide or tides.

That sounds rather depressing, so essentially the setting is saying that nothing you do truly matters? That everything is inherently random and weird because they won't matter anyway?
I can see how the approach of "Everything you do will be a speck of dust compare to the unknown mess we called history and be forgotten in the next world" makes some interesting arguments for nihilism in video games, but to have it enforced by a setting that pretty much screams FUCK EVERYTHING is kind of...I don't know.

Boring? Uninspired? Just like real life. Heh.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Sawyer doesn't make things up on the spot.

Then he's a worse GM than I thought.

im just picturing prime junta at the numenera gaming table screaming at the DM over his worldbuilding

I wouldn't do that. I'd play along for the session, then thank the DM politely and tell him that I'll be dropping out of the campaign. It's happened.

(Improvisation is crucial to good gamemastering though.)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Interesting argumentations.
Yeah, P:T (PST) is definitely reminds me Ancient Greek tragedy. Theomachism motives maybe?

Also
Fate Unlock Code
You've spent one whole year on the Codex. Now post about it and get banned.
Huh...

Fry

Arcane
I also feel that T:ToN is held back by Monte's insistence that none of the past may be revealed or explained

Has he actually said this? If so... ugh.

I like the idea of the technological junk of past civilizations and all, but a world in which none of the old tech can be explained is fundamentally irrational and anti-humanist. Might as well just call the tech magic and the old civilizations gods since there's no functional difference if the humans of Numenera's world are stuck in a perpetual state of ignorance.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But this change nothing in lack of logic in adra-ruins and adra-this and adra-that, adra here adra there adra everywhere.
Looks like crutch nothing more.
It was pure bullshit, playing the game we learn that Adra is like this super-material made of souls that the ancients used to build magical apparatus and a fucking colossus. Stuff made with Adra is extremely resistant and green:

pillars_hub_3.jpg

This is made of Adra, not those ruins.

"Yo, magical cement" was a smart-ass reply for the grognards after seeing that the environmental artists had no notion of physics.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I'm working on a game project and everytime I'm drawing out some architecture thoughts of the Pillars half-arches and the Numa-Circus cobblestones has me breaking out into a cold sweat, wondering what I might be overlooking or what I don't know about how things actually work, what is fodder for future Codex scorn, sending me into a spiral of reference image googling seeking historical justification for what I'm making

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm working on a game project and everytime I'm drawing out some architecture thoughts of the Pillars half-arches and the Numa-Circus cobblestones has me breaking out into a cold sweat, wondering what I might be overlooking or what I don't know about how things actually work, what is fodder for future Codex scorn, sending me into a spiral of reference image googling seeking historical justification for what I'm making
Good, fear keeps you on your toes. It's like playing a game with permadeth.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

There's always a Codexer who will find fault with something, worrying about that is like worrying about dying whenever you enter a car (this is amusing)

Prime Junta

I've been working on a game project for two years or so. I haven't yet dared to present it at the Gazebo for that very reason. Worse, it's relatively near-future relatively hard-sci-fi, so I don't even have "adra" or "magic technology" to justify it with (outside a couple of strictly circumscribed areas where I do have these kinds of elements).

But I will, one of these days.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

print this and put it within sight's reach for added motivation:

20307.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also feel that T:ToN is held back by Monte's insistence that none of the past may be revealed or explained

Has he actually said this? If so... ugh.

I like the idea of the technological junk of past civilizations and all, but a world in which none of the old tech can be explained is fundamentally irrational and anti-humanist. Might as well just call the tech magic and the old civilizations gods since there's no functional difference if the humans of Numenera's world are stuck in a perpetual state of ignorance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Prime Junta, but I think it would be permissible to explain the functionality of specific technological artifacts on a piecemeal basis. It's only the full context of past civilizations that you can't reveal.

Prime Junta

Correct me if I'm wrong, Prime Junta, but I think it would be permissible to explain the functionality of specific technological artifacts on a piecemeal basis. It's only the full context of past civilizations that you can't reveal.

They have repeatedly stated that official Numenera products will never reveal anything about the past worlds/civilisations, or explicitly state anything about the original design or purpose of any of their artefacts. They're only described in terms of appearance and empirical characteristics. Sometimes the original purpose is readily inferrable though: to pick an example from T:ToN, a buried spaceship with the engines now serving as power sources for a forge. But that's as far as it goes.

But maybe there is still hope for the game right? I was sure from day 1 that it won't be a mach for PS:T but maybe it will be at least more interesting then Pillars of Eternity. I don't want a weird game for the sake of being weird :( I do like what I have seen so far in the Beta thought.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

But maybe there is still hope for the game right? I was sure from day 1 that it won't be a mach for PS:T but maybe it will be at least more interesting then Pillars of Eternity. I don't want a weird game for the sake of being weird :( I do like what I have seen so far in the Beta thought.

As I said in the review and many times here, I like the beta a lot, especially after they revamped the intro. I don't know how Torment-y it's going to be, ultimately, but it's a very good game in its own right. The incoherent setting won't ruin that; it just means it won't contribute much.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That approach will likely add a lot of time to your gamedev cycle without adding a lot of quality. Someone is always going to find flaws in your game, what's important is being able to iterate when such feedback comes in. Fail early, fail often is key to gamedev. RPGs, especially great ones, are too complex to try to plan and account for everything.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You forgot Wasteland 2's unrealistic european railroad car model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom