Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

Executr

Cipher
Nordic recently announced the acquisition of the Imperium Galactica IP, among others. Hopefully both games will be available in the digital stores.

Source: http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/article/galactic_ip_rescue_operation_aka_new_franchises_acquired

Galactic IP Rescue Operation aka New Franchises Acquired
February 2, 2016

Nordic Games Saves Intergalactic IPs and Acquires the Imperium Galactica and Other Franchises

The classic game IP imperium is on the brink of collapse, especially when it comes to preserving franchises which left their mark in video games history. In these dire times, a young and promising alliance from the distant planet of Scandinavia (solar system Europe) holds the future of many of said IPs, which are threatened by the fate of being lost and forgotten, and thus, proved themselves worthy of protection.

After some life-sustaining measures, said alliance, also known as Nordic Games Licensing AB with its base of operations Karlstad, Sweden, managed to acquire and preserve the following list of IPs:
Bang Bang Racing PC, XBL, PSN, Android
Black Knight Sword XBL, PSN
Skydrift PC, XBL, PSN
Sine Mora PC, XBL, PSN, PSVita, iOS, Android
Imperium Galactica PC
Imperium Galactica II PC, iOS, Android
Liberty Wings iOS
Ubrain iOS
Scarabeus: Pearls of Nile iOS

The alliance places their trust in the brave warriors of the Nordic Games GmbH, in their colony of Vienna, Austria, to take control of the IPs and to handle the day-to-day business (sales and distribution, evaluation of sequels & new content etc.).

uaciaut

Augur
Has anyone tried Stellaris/the MoO re-skin attempt/GalCiv 3? Anything worth trying?

What about Distant Worlds with the latest expansion (Universe iirc)?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Has anyone tried Stellaris/the MoO re-skin attempt/GalCiv 3? Anything worth trying?

What about Distant Worlds with the latest expansion (Universe iirc)?

Stellaris is boring AF, one of the worst Paradox games with no soul whatsoever. GalCiv3 I haven't played, but have heard it's basically the same as previous but some better/worse stuff, so mileage may vary.

DW Universe with a handful of mods(AI, Extended Universe, sound/visual/UI mods) is quite good, if you find a guide to walk you through how to do everything manually and start at Pre-Warp stage.

Though, it's real time, takes a long time to get in to, still has issues, is clunky and not for everyone. Certainly better than those other options though.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The MoO reskin is pretty bad yeah. The tactical combat is a joke, AI is pretty much nonexistent and game almost plays itself anyway. Stellaris has some good stuff, and some bad stuff - maybe with couple more patches or an expansion or something it'll be worth playing more.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I really am enjoying Gal Civ 3. The AI will hand you your ass if you are not at all strategic or miss research in an area you are lacking. It reminds me of the times a friend and I used to play Star Control, we would go from planet to planet getting precursor weapons/items then duke it out. Of course there is no arcade style control of battles in this game. Each new game plays differently which is huge surge of incline and the mods make it even better.

On the other hand the game is a crash-A-thon and I have yet to finish a single game yet since my long term game saves have all got crash bugs in one form or another.
The insane map size is so much fun but the bugs make it impossible to use. I have 8 gigs of ram and a gig of video memory and the bugs bring it all down to a crawl if it does not out right lock up windows as well.

Is it worth 100 smacks for the game and all the DLC? No, but maybe one day. It is a hard game to give up playing. I don't recommend getting it or playing it in it's current form. But I still can't stop playing it. :yeah:

Direwolf

Arcane
So what's the best 4x out there at the moment? I want to play one, but everything out there just looks terrible.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Its still MoO 1 or 2, C-Evo and maybe Distant Worlds. Dom4 4 MP. Did they make the combat in EL any fun? Maybe 4x like (thea, KoDP, one of the DF clones.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
You don't just fill the production queue per planet you also place each building on a 3d grid. Sounds awesome.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yeah that too. But also, turn based.... with turn based space combat!! Sheeeit I thought it would never happen again.

Oh and space sharks.

Characters-aquatics-cmurphy-PREDESTINATION-1024x682.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Released on Steam Early Access now, it looks like a MoO2 re-skin. Will check it out. Already on sale. Also in addition to this MOO2 clone, Iceberg seems to have a Total War clone in the works named Oriental Empires.

dehimos

Augur
Oriental Empires isn't Total War, It's a Civ with planning battles type Dominions (no Dominions 100%, but you make position and tactic for each unit).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oriental Empires isn't Total War, It's a Civ with planning battles type Dominions (no Dominions 100%, but you make position and tactic for each unit).

Yep, I got it on a whim yesterday and tried playing it for an hour just now. It's been a very, very long time since I played a civ-type, but it's fun. I think it would be better game if they tightened up the time frame, and reviewed the faction selection, and tried to strengthen the theme more, but whatever. The combat is fun, research and city-development is unobtrusive, and they did an okay job with the theme of Ancient China.

Forkrul

Novice
Stars in Shadow looks nice. Just hope they can implement good AI, and i will definitely buy this when it's finished.

Executr

Cipher
Stars in Shadow, a Vivid Tribute to the 4x Classics, Will Release January 19th, 2017.

Haarlem, The Netherlands – January 10th, 2017 – Publisher Iceberg Interactive is pleased to announce that turn-based 4x space strategy title Stars in Shadow (PC) will launch on Steam and other digital platforms on January 19th, 2017. During its time in Early Access, the game has been lauded as a great ‘tribute to Masters of Orion’ by the dedicated Steam community. As a result of the positive feedback and praise, developer Ashdar Games is looking forward to fully releasing the title to all fans of the 4x genre.

Stars in Shadow is set to release January 19th, 2017 on Steam and other digital download platforms at an SRP of $24.99.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/games/464880/announcements/detail/536326320036081918

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I was wondering what is the best sci-fi 4x one can play in 2017. I have played MoO 2 too many times. I have been playing a lot of the other genre representatives and for most of them one game was enough.

New Master Of Orion ? Snoozefest
Stars In Shadow ? Nice, but left me cold
Armada 2526 Supernova ? playable / belongs to the better ones
Lost Empires Immortals ? It has an epic scope, but that's about it
Sword Of The Stars 1 ? Nice combat, but awful UI NAvigation and almost no planetary development
Sword Of The Stars 2 ? Just No
Distant Worlds ? Not my cup of tea at all
Stellaris ? Nice to look at, but boring as heaven
Galciv 1-3 ? Generic, okay for one playthrough
Endless Space 1+2 ? Enjoyable / they belong to the better ones / I did replay 1 a few times

As I was about giving up on the genre, a little gem found its way on my hard drive: Star Drive 2
It's much more MoO-like as Stars In Shadow and the new official Master Of Orion. You can create a creative race and the races are clearly inspired by MoO. Star Ruler 2 is a big tribute to MoO, but more fun than the other titles claiming the same.

Perhaps I lucked out with the settings for my first game, but the AI is putting up a hell of a fight and I can say I didn't have as much fun with a 4x since MoO 2. Unfortunatly the game seems to be abandoned by the (one !) developer.
Others found it to be buggy and the AI braindead. Yes, I stumbled on some bugs, but nothing too serious, that can't be circumvented in one way or the other. Give it a try. It's the best MoO clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom