Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't followed Inxile fora, but here is how it looks to me:
First InXile introduces Health bar because the system would be otherwise too complicated, a bit later a console port is announced.

You connect the dots.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I can now reveal that we've known about this since last month. More at Gamescom.
Just another sign that codex staff is officially an inxile / obsidian PR community manager training ground, you guys are pathetic.

In other news, the delay and the health bar system now make sense, so much for Fargo pandering to the pc crowd, all he wants his to have publisher cock in his mouth again, more than pathetic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I haven't followed Inxile fora, but here is how it looks to me:
First InXile introduces Health bar because the system would be otherwise too complicated, a bit later a console port is announced.

You connect the dots.
At this point I am sorry I supported this project. But I will wait for release before I decide if I care about Inxile anymore or if they join the same group as Obsidian (pirate the shit games and buy on 50% sale if it turns out surprisingly good; I also have Bethesda group which is pirate the shit games and get fun by bashing them on forums after trying them; and the last group where Bioware falls into which is don't even bother pirating, it is not even worth stealing)

Cassar

Savant
Numenera gets delayed a million years and is coming out as a console multiplatform game, with console friendly design decissions. Sudden Strike 4 is announced as a Pc/PS4 game for 2017. Shitty day all around

Fry

Arcane
Meh. If you're going to make an honest effort to evaluate combat in this game, the health bar should really be the least of your concerns. It has bigger problems.

I'm just in it for the writing at this point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Health bar in itself isn't a bad thing, but with this new development things start too look dire. Sadly :( .
It is a terrible thing. It is like making a d&d game but replacing its health system with VtM one (7 hit points)
Or what SCL did by replacing spell slots and resting with cooldowns.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1647389

Updated Our Journal (57): Techland Partnership

tl;dr: The mystery publishing partner is Techland!

Chris here for some important and exciting news. Last update we teased that we’re working with a new publisher on Torment. For those who have not yet seen the news that broke shortly after, we are pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Techland Publishing. You might know Techland as having developed some excellent games including Dying Light and Call of Juarez, but they have also done regional publishing and distribution on titles for many years now. With Torment, they are making the move to global publishing.

The partnership is something we are very excited about. Techland will be handling retail distribution, marketing the game, and physical backer rewards come release. This allows us to focus the vast majority of our resources on development of the game itself. They are an experienced team and are able to lend their expertise on a number of fronts, while we can spend more time working directly in the world of Torment.

Techland is offering a partnership with a full understanding of Torment's legacy and goals as a narrative-driven RPG, and they want it to succeed as much as we do. As developers themselves, Techland has a great understanding of how important it is to stick to your vision, so we will be keeping full creative control over the game. We look forward to working with them to deliver a quality release we can all be proud of.

This isn't the only component to our partnership, however. In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't. Torment was developed from the ground up as a successor to the legacy of the original Planescape: Torment. Those of you who have played the beta will see that it is a rich, deep RPG full of involving quests, characters and a world full of detail.

You'll also likely know that this isn't our first rodeo when it comes to consoles. With Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on Xbox and PS4, we proved that it was possible to bring all the depth of a PC style RPG to new audiences without sacrificing the tactical complexity and scope, and with Torment our approach is not changing. As developers, we're pleased to bring the game to even more players, and with the success of WL2: DC critically, commercially and among our fans, it had long since been in our plans to do a console version of Torment.

Most importantly, you might be wondering if this affects our timeline for the game beyond what we've previously said. We have great news for you there: it will not! We talked about our production timeline in the last update, and how our plans to localize and polish the game meant we are looking at an early Q1 2017 release. When looking at our production timeline, it became clear that our art, design, and engineering resources were becoming available, giving us the opportunity to bring the game to consoles without affecting the PC version and overall timeline.

Torment at Gamescom
On a related note: next month at Gamescom, we will be presenting Torment on consoles with Techland from August 18th to the 21st. If you are able to visit the convention in Cologne Germany, you can find us in the entertainment area in Hall 10.1. We're always happy to chat with fans and talk shop. Additionally, Brian will be holding a signing on August 19th, at 3 PM local time in Hall 10.1, booth B-073, so swing by if you can.

For those of you not attending, there will be many more Gamescom goodies to come, including interviews, screenshots and videos. We will be sure to showcase them in future updates and on our social media and news pages.

Torment: The Explorer's Guide
We also have some news for fans of pen and paper gaming. When the Kickstarter began, we said we'd partner with Monte Cook Games to offer a Torment Sourcebook for the Numenera tabletop game. That has now come to fruition in the form of Torment: Tides of Numenera – The Explorer's Guide by Shanna Germain.

The Torment Explorer's Guide (for short) is a deluxe sourcebook containing background in Torment's section of the Ninth World, including locations, items, characters and events from the game itself, as well as some that do not feature directly in the game but are part of the wider fiction and lore. Many of these were contributed to by our own designers and writers, and Monte Cook Games also expanded and fleshed them out for the tabletop.

The Torment Explorer's Guide comes illustrated with artwork from the game and Monte Cook Games' own artists. If you preorder the hardcover version for $40 USD and use your preorder code on the Monte Cook Games store before midnight on August 10, you will gain access to a free digital copy of the PDF, as well as several special extras.

Meanwhile, if you prefer the digital PDF version, it is available to new backers for $15 USD. (Those backers who pledged for the digital version at $12 previously during the campaign will still keep their early discounted price.)

To get your copy, just visit the Rewards -> Shop page on the Torment site and filter by "Monte Cook PnP". You'll see options for both the digital and hardcover Explorer's Guide available. Once again, the preorder for the hardcover bonus is only available until midnight August 10, so get in now if you want to get the extras with it. Both versions will be available mid-August.

Brian Talks Development, Adam's New Novella
If you follow our social media channels, you may have noticed we mentioned Brian Fargo was attending Reboot Develop in Croatia earlier this year. Reboot has now posted the full talk he gave on their YouTube channel for everyone to enjoy.

The audio quality is a little choppy in spots, but if you'd like to hear some of Brian's insight about managing and embracing the chaos of game development and his role in "parenting" games, it's definitely worth a watch.

Next, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Adam Heine's new novella, Izanami's Choice, which is published by Broken Eye Books. It's a sci-fi story about a ronin who lives in Meiji Era Japan... and fights androids. The book will be released on September 1st, but you can pre-order it right now. More information on Izanami's Choice and other stuff can also be found on Adam's web site.

That's all for this update. Thanks for checking in with us, and we'll have more to share on how we've been polishing and iterating on Torment as we steadily get closer to release early next year!

Signing off,
Chris Keenan

Rev

Arcane
Another shit move from Fargo. I had hopes on this game despite WL2 being bad, but the console port is yet another way of spitting on the backers' faces. And if he thinks the game will sell good on consoles he's delusional.
At least, after this we are safe from getting another fraud KS from inXile soon, since they would get even less than what they got with Bard's Tale.

Fry

Arcane
Full Codex hyperbole achieved.

The game is much better than WL2 based on writing alone. The only thing a console port is going to affect is combat, and combat has been kinda shit from the beginning.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So now is safe to say that InXile was endorsing popamolism all along using backer’s money to aim at a wider audience. I can’t wait to see codexers reactions to Bard’s Tale IV! It will be a popamole-streamlined shit with graphics for causals. The buttornado will be unprecedented.

OdGwqnw.jpg

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Plot thickens, eh? I just hope they'll be gamepad-ready from the beginning. :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Now that I know that they are supporting consoletardism I look at the screenshots and I can only see "another shitty isometric game for retards". LOL The trailer alone ruins everything. I even made an account on their foruns to back the game in the last minute. I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane

The game is much better than WL2 based on writing alone. The only thing a console port is going to affect is combat, and combat has been kinda shit from the beginning.
Not true. It may (and probably will) affect the UI and also pretty much everything else may be turned down to cater a bigger, dumber audience. It's already happened with other games.
Also, it's impossible that they've started to work on the port in the last month, so this move nobody asked for has also caused at least the last couple delays. So, we're getting the game three years late because they want to pander the console crowd. GG, Fargo.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did Wasteland 2 even sell that good to warrant another peasant boxes release for Torment?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus Christ, the Codex is on a spin again. The same thing happened with W2 and with Divinity: OS. Both had console versions, but that doesn't affected the PC version at all. Yet some of you idiots are all gloom and doom again! This happened the third time, but you still act like a retarded child.

OMG, Fargo offers a console version which doesn't affect the PC version, what a scumbag! And don't tell me that "oh, but it affects the PC, version" because it fucking doesn, you pathetic piece of shit!

Fry

Arcane

Not true. It may (and probably will) affect the UI and also pretty much everything else may be turned down to cater a bigger, dumber audience. It's already happened with other games.
Also, it's impossible that they've started to work on the port in the last month, so this move nobody asked for has also caused at least the last couple delays. So, we're getting the game three years late because they want to pander the console crowd. GG, Fargo.

Yeah, OK. Unless you can point me to specific examples, I'm gonna say you don't really know what you're talking about.

The problem with this game has been and will continue to be this: Numenera. They've actually made a good-faith attempt to adapt the tabletop game to computer, and that's kind of a mistake. It's a system designed primarily for role playing with very shallow and uninteresting combat. Frankly, I would have preferred that they just take the setting of Numenera and combine it with a combat system of their own design.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Remind me how the console ports ruined Wasteland 2. Honest question.
Game was already a piece of shit to start with, how can you ruin something that's already shit?

Both divinity and wasteland 2 had console releases much later than the pc versions.

Torment is being developed simultaneously as a multitude of platform title, with release on same day for all platforms... They will make more concessions to accommodate console limitations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom