Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The game came up a couple weeks back in a Thread (can't remember which one sadly). There was a video with Alpha gameplay where the player was wielding a Cloud Strife type of sword.

Aside from that I'm semi interested in the title and hope for the best.

nanomagnetic

Novice
The purchase link on the website isn't hyperlinked yet:

Purchase link (download it and play it first, make sure you are happy with it):

And the dev has a torrent link up. Gameplay aside, I like where this dev's ethics lie. It's no way to fund any kind of triple-A title, but there's something definitely different and engaging when you buy into indie-development.

I'll have to get my old Toshiba back and maybe check this out.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Angelo85 said:
The game came up a couple weeks back in a Thread (can't remember which one sadly). There was a video with Alpha gameplay where the player was wielding a Cloud Strife type of sword.
Angelo85 casts Summon Adhaira

oh wait :M

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Found it! The video that is, not the Thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcuZV77UJY

myl6xnph.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Tried the alpha, there are some really cool ideas in the game. My dude got jumped in the desert and got his chest caved in, but I had fun up until then. I'm looking forward to more, and I might even pre-purchase at some point.

Hopefully it's not vaporware. What is there seems really cool, but it's very rough at this point.

nanomagnetic

Novice
Well, I gave it a spin. I like all the ideas presented so far. Looks like he's shooting for some kind of high-tech desert scape, but all revolving around swordplay instead of guns. The animations are pretty good considering it's just one guy putting together a proof of concept demo.

Still real rough though. I mean, you can name your character, but it doesn't show up in the character panel, in-game. Path-finding must just be at a placeholder stage right now. No story or character elements to speak of really at this point.

The game would be a good candidate for some of the resource-based drama talked about in that one Codex Workshop thread. I mean, who controls the fresh water in the desert? Or the food supplies? Or the raw goods for weapons and tools?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a mercenary, a business owner, a doctor, a bandit... the list goes on. Aid or oppose the various factions in the world while striving for the strength and wealth necessary to simply survive in the harsh desert. Purchase and upgrade your own buildings to use as safe fortified havens when things go bad, or use them to start up a business. Train your men up from puny victims to master warriors. Carry your wounded squad mates to safety and get them all home alive.

http://www.desura.com/games/kenshi/news ... -on-desura

There's even a demo although I haven't tried it so no idea what kind of state it is in at the moment.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
There were already about three Threads about this. Verdict: sounds promising, Mount & Blade in an asian setting with more ambitious features. But have to see how development goes along before buying into the Alpha/Beta.

Also we made fun of the Cloud Strife sword from the official Trailer (1:57+).

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bought it ages ago and played it only briefly deciding to wait for full release.

I do wonder which full game will we get first, this or Grimoire.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't forget Overgrowth! But, yeah, this dude's moving at a fucking snail's pace.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
In a brief fit of madness I bought the game a long time ago when it was still only available on Desura before it came to Steam or GoG. It's plagued by feature creep stuck in development hell (the one single developer dude got mad by Steam cash influx and is changing the scope constantly. First it was only Asians, then Humans of all colors now we are at different species. Same with "you can rent a store", now it's planed that you can build whole cities). I concur with Hobo Elf. Stay away for now and don't get tempted.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
The city part is not planned, it is already in. I have build a village with around 5 buildings. People are farming, mining for ore and crafting. I have electricity and big-ass walls around my village.

Bought the game a while ago while I was desperate for a new game.
I would advise anyone from buying it, too.
But somehow I already played 30 hours. The game is lethal, extremely slow and repetitive. But...somehow charming.

The game is over 5 years old and still runs like shit.

huckc

Novice
So is it like Mount and Blade, with more crafting, and no mounts?

Fallout + Mount & Blade + Morrowind + city building (with no compromises).

There's pretty much no game like it to compare it to as a whole. It's a free roaming sandbox that's hard as hell in the beginning. You can play it solo or have multiple squads full of dudes. They are no instance fights, everything is seamless in the world.

It's mainly about exploration, stronghold building, crafting, and mass combat. In my game I have 20 followers in my base that craft, farm, mine, cook, build walls/bulidings, do research and another squad of 10 exploring ruins and picking fights or running away or unconscious with horrible injuries.

No level scaling whatsoever and if you get your ass beat in a fight it's not game over depending on who you fight. Getting your ass beat and enslaved or imprisoned is normal gameplay in fact.

It's 0.9x and really fun and addicting. Has more features than any AAA game, or any other game.

huckc

Novice
In a brief fit of madness I bought the game a long time ago when it was still only available on Desura before it came to Steam or GoG. It's plagued by feature creep stuck in development hell (the one single developer dude got mad by Steam cash influx and is changing the scope constantly. First it was only Asians, then Humans of all colors now we are at different species. Same with "you can rent a store", now it's planed that you can build whole cities). I concur with Hobo Elf. Stay away for now and don't get tempted.

As mentioned you can currently build whole cities with walls, buildings, gates, turrets, machines, mines, farms, etc.

There a few races in there now: humans, skeletons, shek, and hive.

The humans all look european but with crazy random skin color. The only "weabo" part is the japanese weapons but there are also european ones like longswords and polearms. The game doesn't feel weabo at all apart from that and the building architecture looks original and cool if a bit european.

The city part is not planned, it is already in. I have build a village with around 5 buildings. People are farming, mining for ore and crafting. I have electricity and big-ass walls around my village.

Bought the game a while ago while I was desperate for a new game.
I would advise anyone from buying it, too.
But somehow I already played 30 hours. The game is lethal, extremely slow and repetitive. But...somehow charming.

The game is over 5 years old and still runs like shit.

I just picked this up a month ago but they've made a ton of updates in the last few months, including some performance. The performance is still shit but they've got a huge engine upgrade planned to release next week some time which includes multithreading. It's single threaded now so that explains a lot of the UI locking and bad framerates.

This might seem like a shill, but the game is awesome I don't care. It's pretty much a Codexer classic: open world, no level scaling, brutally hard with a steep knowledge curve. I'm not much of a crafter guy but I like that aspect too.

I'm surprised it's not so talked about here, I can see it having its own forum in the future especially after it's released.

e: sorry for the double post

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom