Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think the only big difference in WL2DC is that consoles have some sort of skill wheel instead of the action bar.

Anyway WL2 UI already sucked when it was PC-exclusive, and you remember how many iterations it took them to come up with something half-decent. Can't blame this one on cuntsoles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway, I think in a typical console game that Cypher interface would have had its own fancy screen. Think Skyrim.

This will likely be the case. The Cypher section on the console versions will likely be the item description window much like the screenshot above. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else they can put it.

I don't see what is so consolised here. Grid inventory, you can quickly switch between the characters, you can see the items stats and switching to another window is just a click. It is not worse than most of the cRPG inventories.

Consolization is analog, not digital. With a minor modification, Wasteland 2: DC's grid inventory became controller-functional. It's not like grid inventories are unheard of on consoles, e.g. Resident Evil 4 and Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I object to any concessions they make to make it more console friendly, as they've clearly done here.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A window for item descriptions instead of mouseover. RIP inventory space.
Tooltips have always been kind of a garbage mouse-shackled Windowsy way to communicate info. < Keyboard sophistication :obviously:

That fullscreen UI is clearly made for tabbing and you can already imagine where the button prompts for controller will go... those little purple hectagons.
Pentagons, you doofus.

Large buttons, inefficient use of space. Meanwhile in Pillows
You can see everyone's inventory at once. Additionally, small buttons.
Well, the Pillars inventory isn't full-screen so of course things will look smaller.
Haha. As an experiment I shrunk the TTON UI to the same screen footprint as POE's:

IucOoVU.jpg
Note how when scaled down the units are exactly the same size as POE's. So yes, POE's is smaller only because they deliberately waste so much real estate. Also TTON's shows just as many stats as POE's. The only difference is that TTON has a trimmed down inventory because it's a game not obsessed with managing 26 different kinds of crossbow bolts, just like in the P&P and just what I have been arguing for for years in CRPGs.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also TTON's shows just as many stats as POE's. The only difference is that TTON has a trimmed down inventory because it's a game not obsessed with managing 26 different kinds of crossbow bolts, just like in the P&P and just what I have been arguing for for years in CRPGs.

PoE doesn't have an ammo system.

Athelas

Arcane
Consolization is analog, not digital. With a minor modification, Wasteland 2: DC's grid inventory became controller-functional. It's not like grid inventories are unheard of on consoles, e.g. Resident Evil 4 and Deus Ex Human Revolution.
2 titles out of thousands. You can't seriously see those as representive of design trends, when virtually every console RPG uses a list-based inventory, even those made by PC developers making their console debut (e.g. Invisible War or Kotor).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
2 titles out of thousands. You can't seriously see those as representive of design trends, when virtually every console RPG uses a list-based inventory, even those made by PC developers making their console debut (e.g. Invisible War or Kotor).
It's funny cause lists are vastly superior to icon inventories when implemented by someone who knows what he's doing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Fettles section of the UI is a bit unusual, but PC-esque - works by mouse-over:

mYqj8qg.jpg

That might be a bit different on console.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The interface in Consolement is bad anyway. When in dialogue the text is huuuge and the window takes up a fairly small portion of the screen, so a lot of the time you select an option, then you have to scroll up to actually see what they replied, because your dialogue options take up most of the screen.

It's especially baffling because the original PS:T already solved this. And yeah yeah, beta whatever. Still pretty pathetic.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The interface in Consolement is bad anyway. When in dialogue the text is huuuge and the window takes up a fairly small portion of the screen, so a lot of the time you select an option, then you have to scroll up to actually see what they replied, because your dialogue options take up most of the screen.

It's especially baffling because the original PS:T already solved this. And yeah yeah, beta whatever. Still pretty pathetic.

Maybe they want to keep the same font size between the console and PC versions? The Watch might ask them about that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I object to any concessions they make to make it more console friendly, as they've clearly done here.
So Wasteland 2's inventory was a PC style inventory, but it was created in a way that it could easily changed to a console UI. You do know that this is a whole new level of stupid, don't you? You don't see what a UI is, but what it COULD be? Who cares if they changed the UI on consoles, what I care is that the UI on PC is a PC style inventory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Note how when scaled down the units are exactly the same size as POE's. So yes, POE's is smaller only because they deliberately waste so much real estate. Also TTON's shows just as many stats as POE's. The only difference is that TTON has a trimmed down inventory because it's a game not obsessed with managing 26 different kinds of crossbow bolts, just like in the P&P and just what I have been arguing for for years in CRPGs.

I get the impression there's going to be a lot of inventory juggling, with the cyphers and all.

Here's Divinity: Original Sin on the xbone http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NO PULSE/screenshot/4129131

Still using a grid, still more consolized than the PC version. Looks like consolized grids are in now.

Who cares if they changed the UI on consoles, what I care is that the UI is a PC style inventory.

I care about convenience and functionality.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Still using a grid, still more consolized than the PC version. Looks like consolized grids are in now.
Well, grids are better for console UIs so no surprise. Better to navigate inventory in 4/8 directions than 2, and with less console-sized text more can be shown.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get the impression there's going to be a lot of inventory juggling, with the cyphers and all.
I'm sure there will be more than I want :) but hopefully less than say Baldur's Gate or even Dragon Age. Or, yes, POE.

How come nobody ever talks about Underrail compared to TTON or WL2?
Is Styg developing a new game? :|

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How come nobody ever talks about Underrail compared to TTON or WL2? They did a much better job at almost everything with much less money and people. They should give the money to Styg :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Because WL2 and TTON are both mostly storyfag/exploration games, while underrail is mostly a pure combatfag/exploration game. The story, writing and C&C in underrail was severaly lacking compared to titles like TTON, fallout 1+2 and even WL2. So yeah, I wouldn't say underrail did everything better, but it is certainly a fucking amazing game.

How come nobody ever talks about Underrail compared to TTON or WL2? They did a much better job at almost everything with much less money and people. They should give the money to Styg :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Because WL2 and TTON are both mostly storyfag/exploration games, while underrail is mostly a pure combatfag/exploration game. The story, writing and C&C in underrail was severaly lacking compared to titles like TTON, fallout 1+2 and even WL2. So yeah, I wouldn't say underrail did everything better, but it is certainly a fucking amazing game.

It does not have so much reactivity, but yeah it is a superb game, superb atmosphere. WL2 is just meh...

roll-a-die

Magister

Here's Divinity: Original Sin on the xbone http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NO PULSE/screenshot/4129131

Who cares if they changed the UI on consoles, what I care is that the UI is a PC style inventory.

I care about convenience and functionality.
Okay, so here's an analysis from playing the game a bit.(Put 12 hours in the other day, just playing through the first 4 screens 3 times and seeing where and how things change in minor ways(The answer is a lot of places, and a lot of things.)) Quoted roguey because of the mass quoting they did.

00. Most the points you guys make are Null.

01. The UI is not consolized, or rather it's about as consolized as Fallout 1 and 2, or the Baldurs Gate UI.

02. Dialogue is HEAVY, and text size is a tad large, but I imagine that's because they are tuning things, and want to be sure more people can read it, even blind fucks like myself.

03. Consolized grids, aren't, thats a super bad comparison, because the grids of this type are not often seen on consoles, but rather in MMO's. They also generally aren't intuitive to use on console, and they generally predate (western) console games with proper sortable grid inventories by a long time(first one of those I saw was in Dark Cloud, circa 2002ish IIRC.)

04. The system is not focused around items in your inventory generally, and the items that are in your inventory that would need to be immediately accessible, generally are, through a hotbar that can either be toggled, and left out, or retracted and extended at will.

05. The UI is cluttered which I think lends to the perception of it being "consolized" I think they are still trying to find a way to get all the information conveyed in a reasonable fashion. But as of right now it's hard to say, given that they seem set to release a patch every six months for testers.

06. The UI as a whole, has a sense that it's still very much in progress, however no glaring design issues stand out to me. As was the case with Pillars. Namely that it was hard to designate items in Pillars because I'd often get the characters inventories confused, especially when looting in the world, this led to me spending probably a total of 30 minutes of my 30 hours spent in Pillars of Eternity, sorting my inventory. Haven't had to do that yet in Torment, most I've spent is 15 bseconds handing out an excess cypher to Calistege.

07. Hi, fallout 3/nv/4 have a consolized RPG UI, Skyrim has a consolized RPG UI. The text in Torment isn't "Too large," or consolized because of the large text. Opening an item description window and showing it at a sane resolution 1920x1080 gives you this. also included are the levelup UI elements and a comparison of the font size at 1920 by 1080. When compared to the 13 point default libreoffice font. http://imgur.com/a/AKv7b

08. the UI could probably best be called MMOized, rather than consolized, but looking back Begins installing Planescape Torment. Once that's done, does incredibly shoddy job screenshotting with the standard UI mods they typically have installed http://imgur.com/a/jm5pZ Only real differences I see is that the UI buttons are large.

09. There's a big difference between calling something consolized and it actually being consolized, especially when the only explanation a person provides is, "It just kinda feels like a console game."

0A. Cyphers, just as in Tabletop are meant to be used quickly, and not horded like some insane cat lady.

0B. Inventory management is actually relatively sparse, about the only time you'll really be looking in the inventory screen is to look at item descriptions cause they are pretty cool.

0C. You won't need to manage many different types of items. Generally you will have 1 weapon, maybe 2, 3 cyphers in cypher slots and maybe 2 spares in a companions inventory.

0D. Unlike a proper consolized UI drag and drop is in this, and you can just drop cyphers, and items onto the portraits of your companions with zero hassle.

0E. Looking at the previous game, PS:T with mods, and Torment with just it's beta UI too look at. The games look almost fucking stupidly identical with minor changes. A line of icons in the corner rather than a circle, a slightly more cluttered UI. A similar amount of wasted space.

0F. Sincerely yours,

10. Roll a die

P.S. please stop trying to cause drama, yes a game is going to be on consoles, just like another game the dev previously did. No that doesn't indicate any kind of lack of quality, and the game will likely be up to the reasonable standards of the developers previous offerings, namely, Wasteland 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm saying it's consolized because it resembles Wasteland 2 Director's Cut console inventory far more than it does any modern PC exclusive inventory (no one should be trying to replicate those ancient 640x480 inventories). Good to hear that it won't be that much of an issue though.

The UI as a whole, has a sense that it's still very much in progress

Too bad, because Brother None says it's done. :lol:

roll-a-die

Magister
Point me to the post by Brother None please. Because I can point too around 3-4 places where UI elements flat out aren't implemented or are implemented in a placeholder fashion(Options Screens, a few UI elements don't click when you click on them, the Level Up screen needs more detail, and maybe 1 other I'm missing.) Anyway, he might have meant the layout was final, and the details were in flux, which is what I meant. It's a beta UI coming out of alpha. It's not got all of it's details, and it's still in progress.

Give me an example of a modern PC exclusive RPG. Oh wait, most of those are nostalgia trippers attempting to give you an interface from classics anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I would guess that by "complete" he means the general layout and related artwork - stuff that takes thought and time to produce. I don't see why they wouldn't continue to tweak small stuff and of course fix bugs until release day.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Point me to the post by Brother None please. Because I can point too around 3-4 places where UI elements flat out aren't implemented or are implemented in a placeholder fashion(Options Screens, a few UI elements don't click when you click on them, the Level Up screen needs more detail, and maybe 1 other I'm missing.) Anyway, he might have meant the layout was final, and the details were in flux, which is what I meant. It's a beta UI coming out of alpha. It's not got all of it's details, and it's still in progress.

Well, the nice thing is you're already able to play our PC version and see the UI. All our backers have been able to jump into Early Access for a while now, and the UI has been complete for a while now. Do you think we're going to re-do the PC UI at this point?

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=174521#p174521

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom