Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That DLC is known as super super buggy.
Because of it I am playing honestman since its release.
That's called ironman. Clicking ironman is called "enforced ironman".

XCOM2 is plagued by too many ad hoc features made by people without proper talents.

Modron

Arcane
The digital deluxe version includes all dlc and is 50% off, whereas, the resurgence pack which just includes all dlc is 33% off by itself. Individual DLCs are strangely not on sale though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I bought the game already, but I'm waiting for a real expansion or a Long War quality mod before I buy any DLC.

totally agree. i'm not going to touch this filth again until a new long war comes out.
and then it'll still be a worse xcox with an even more retarded geoscape.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I loved the casualized modern XCOM, but XCOM 2 is shit. Not worth it even on -75%.
Play it with LW mods (and some others) and it is much better. The line of sight preview, being able to blow up floors under aliens and some other features make it better. Some other things make it worse. Overall it is worse than Xcom 1 LW but not that much.
With a proper overhaul mod and expansion, Xcom 2 will overall be better than Xcom 1 LW. It is way better than vanilla Xcom EU/EW

anus_pounder

Arcane
Finished the game once, then almost finished it twice when the Alien Rulers and Shen DLC came out. I like it, but I'm holding off another proper playthrough until a Long War type mod or EW level expansion comes out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just lost my new L/I because of Avatar timer running out. And all I did the whole fucking game is move towards next facility and still I could not get it. Fuck!

Starting over now with even more mods :D

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bought it on that last sale and am playing right now.

Game is okay so far with one exciting mission, that old robot factory inhabited by an old acquaintance.
But it feels gated and linear. as. fuck.
Hope it opens up later, am only 5 missions in so this might still all be tutorial.

The restrictive timers are a very bad idea imo since there is not much time for reconnaissance and flanking, you often have to rush in and do as much damage as fast as you can no matter the costs (6 wounded but no KIAs so far except for the 2 tutorial mission ones that are scripted on 2. highest difficulty, took a lot of reloads, sorry but I hate RNGs).
I don't see me finishing this game if the tactical combat is the only thing that's at least halfway good in this though.

The more I play of these Nu XCom games the stronger gets the itch to replay the old ones. Will probably try out OpenXcom soon.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
The more I play of these Nu XCom games the stronger gets the itch to replay the old ones. Will probably try out OpenXcom soon.

The original is the best game ever made and the one i spent on most of the time (i was 10 years old in 1994, with a 386 25 mhz).

Nostalgia factor is strong, expecially on 90's isometric titles.

Still, when i try to play the Og now, i can't pass over the shitty graphic (for today standards), the overwelming UI, the boring micromanagement stuff (ammo, no inventory shortcuts).

Meanwhile, i'm having lot of fun with nuxcom2 and i think that even if it is more simplified and less deep than the glorious originals, it still is a superfun game, and probably one of the best turn based of the modern era.

Franchise gone further, i've gone with it.

To be honest, the only thing that i really miss from the og is the soundtrack and the atmosphere (really unbeatable, the geoscape tracks are my favourite pieces of ost of all times) but beaside that, i love nuxcom as much as i loved the og

And i bless Firaxis (or better, 2k) for investing high budget on turn based stuff and supporting the franchise when all the major producers only goes on openworld or fps stuff.

Damn we got very few pearls in gaming Tb history, we got Ja2 and silent storm (even if the latter was buggy as hell and worse performance of xcom2 at release), the genre is pretty rare, and i want to support it as much as i can

Last edited:

vmar

Savant
X2 gets way better if you mod it to add more enemy pods, and make the pods have more aliens. I liked the vanilla game well enough but I got a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of it once I started modding. It's really easy to tweak stuff yourself as well, just mess with the inis.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron

The original is the best game ever made and the one i spent on most of the time (i was 10 years old in 1994, with a 386 25 mhz).

Nostalgia factor is strong, expecially on 90's isometric titles.

Still, when i try to play the Og now, i can't pass over the shitty graphic (for today standards), the overwelming UI, the boring micromanagement stuff (ammo, no inventory shortcuts].
Sure, UI of these old games is clunky as fuck but dat freedom man.
You actually have a globe and can build stuff anywhere you want on it. And UFOs are not just events popping up now and then, they are actually flying around with clear goals, mission objectives and their own bases.
It just feels more real and base building gives you more opportunities to make your own plans too.
Also I kinda like micromanaging if it's done right, like when it involves a bit of actual management in a game that's in part about managing bases. So I don't mind having to order the engineers to build ammo or selling all the excess stuff manually.

NuXCom is more streamlined in that regard but that also means that you often don't really have a choice in what to do next, there is one optimal build order and if you depart from it you are playing it wrong and have a harder time. And you better go on all these missions that pop up even if you don't feel like it because there isn't any other way to earn resources. Okay, there are also the governments / rebel groups, but they won't keep supporting you if you ignore every second UFO event either.

While in the old games there were a lot of ways you could build and expand your bases, and different legitimate research paths too. The new games always keep you busy, sure, but they rarely give you a choice. You have to do sth against these dark events, you have to research the stuff that doesn't take forever or for which black market pre research pops up, you have to do the missions that give you more scientists and engineers etc..
Tactical combat is pretty gud in the NuXComs though, I give you that.
Still enjoying XCom 2 quite a bit thanks to it. But also still waiting for the game to give me fucking choices. I hope at least the research branches out soon.
Building rooms is a letdown even compared to the already dumbed down first remake. And the Geoscape is kinda weird, can't decide if I like it or not so far.

Tbh my favorite of the old games are not the original XCom or TFTD but Apocalypse.
That city just felt alive and I always forgave the drawn out endgame because before that the game is just so much fun.

Graphics are fine for all these games, but for me everything from the VGA era onwards is (except for those shitty early 3D titles like Alone in the Dark - yuk).

Last edited:

Lerk

Learned
The new LW mods are IMO interesting ideas but not executed well.

The perk pack is a great idea and adds some much needed variety, but it removes the challenge from the early game because you effectively have a counter to everything if you can build a proper squad. A gunners area suppression on its own breaks the game.

The laser weapon tier is only worth it if you skip magnetic. Though why you would given the resource cost and research time is anyone's guess.

Good ideas though. I guess that's why we can increase difficulty with other mods. IDK about You guys but my X2 barely resembles the vanilla game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The new LW mods are IMO interesting ideas but not executed well.

The perk pack is a great idea and adds some much needed variety, but it removes the challenge from the early game because you effectively have a counter to everything if you can build a proper squad. A gunners area suppression on its own breaks the game.

The laser weapon tier is only worth it if you skip magnetic. Though why you would given the resource cost and research time is anyone's guess.

Good ideas though. I guess that's why we can increase difficulty with other mods. IDK about You guys but my X2 barely resembles the vanilla game.
Use Perk pack together with Alien pack. It balances itself well. Area Suppression is useless in Xcom 2 because aliens like to move during their turn even if you got units on overwatch and they move through area suppression every fucking time and cancel it as result. I skip using Gunners, they are least useful new class.

Mazisky

Magister
Tbh my favorite of the old games are not the original XCom or TFTD but Apocalypse.
That city just felt alive and I always forgave the drawn out endgame because before that the game is just so much fun.

Graphics are fine for all these games, but for me everything from the VGA era onwards is (except for those shitty early 3D titles like Alone in the Dark - yuk).

Apocalypse was a great game but the art direction was horrible...worse than Anarchy children Dlc. Dunno why they changed so much from the first two, they were ok.

If they will do Xcom 3 apocalyspe stile, in all one big city, i'll be really interested :) Also, that game had lot of interiors and i like playing indoor evnironments

Anyway, if playing a 1992 title with 320x200 (or whatever) resolution is good graphic for you, now, in 2016.....well, you have no need to play any of the new games, you're lucky, you can just play thousand of 20 years old games for eternity and be happy, you don't even need to spend more than 50 dollars for a pc.

I play videogames since early '90 and i remember when the Alone in the dark crap 3d was really awesome for the time (that game ruined my sleeping for 2 months, i still remember the red ghost in the sofa raising up), but now i can't pass over visuals, i don't pretend witcher 3 graphics all the time, but at least that doesn't feel i'm still playing with commodore 64

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
So I'm playing this game on veteran/ironman (anything more difficult than that and I get my ass beat) and I just completed a mission where almost everything went wrong. It was one of those runs where you're supposed to destroy an alien facility, and right off the bat I lose my concealment advantage due to being a dumbfuck and moving one of my soldiers too close to an enemy squad, which then spots him on their turn.

Next thing that happens is one of the mutons toss a grenade at two of my soldiers hiding behind a car, resulting in what you might expect. I had no idea enemies used grenades in this game, as I haven't seen them do it in all of my 65+ hours of playing. My two soldiers, plus a third one covering near them, lose approximately three fourths of their health, plus their cover. At this point I'm facing about seven enemies at once (three mutons, three advent soldiers and a turret) and I'm forced to whip out all of my special tools - mimic beacons, rocket launchers - in order to wipe them out in one turn so I don't risk losing my men. Afterwards I use all of my health kits to heal up, effectively draining me of all my resources save for flash bangs and a few frag grenades. I proceed to move inside the alien facility where my grenadier is sent into a panic by an advent troop killing my ranger with a lucky crit, which coincides with an enemy reinforcement being dropped right on my location. At this point I've planted the explosives so I'm ready to evac, but I can't get all of my soldiers out because my grenadier is cowering uselessly in a corner.

What I decide to do is stick around right next to the evac zone and wait for her to snap out of it. One of the enemies I'm facing at this point is one of those upgraded, red mech units with a ton of armor and HP plus three advent troops including a lancer. I can't conceivably kill them all in one round with what I have left, so I decide to try my luck and hack the mech unit, which fortunately works out, shutting it down for two rounds. I then throw a flash bang at the remaining enemies, disorienting them. At this point I'm feeling confident I can get my remaining guys out, but due to bad luck my grenadier doesn't snap out of her panic state on my next turn, so I'm forced to wait another round if I want to evac her. What happens then is that my sniper gets killed by the advent troops despite the fact that they are still affected by the flash bang, my other ranger panics and the mech unit wakes up again, forcing my retreat without my ranger. At the end of it I only manage to evacuate three of my six soldiers, the rest dying horribly. Two of the dead soldiers (the sniper and the second ranger) were my best units by far. I obviously also lost everything they were carrying.

This fucking game.

I love it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
I have to admit that I don't have the discipline to accept such a scenario.
Would have reloaded at the broken concealment although I know exactly that with these frequent reloads the whole exercise is pointless.

I think I will abandon the game I have running now and restart using ironman.

Vibalist

Arcane
Yeah, this game is meant for ironman playthroughs. It's so frustrating when things go wrong, but everything becomes so much more tense. I just had another run where I took on a 'very difficult' retaliation mission (where you protect civilians) and I was bringing a squad of total noobs because my high level soldiers got killed, but this time everything went perfectly. It was like the exact opposite of the mission before it. Every shot hit, the aliens kept missing, I lucked out completely. It felt great, albeit a bit undeserved.

Then I went and failed a routine 'protect the device' mission right after like a total idiot because the aliens managed to destroy the thing before I could protect it (the fucking thing caught fire, lol), meaning I lost the reward and can look forward to yet another dark event, but oh well. I'm probably going to have to start over, but X Com ain't about winning the game anyway, it's about failing horribly again and again until you get a grip on things.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
I start to suspect that I have to play on veteran difficulty.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
Restarted on commander ironman and this is nearly impossible to do without heavy casualties (which are not fun for me and make things increasingly difficult because rookies are shit). 4 instead of 3 hp on Advent grunts is a problem.

I always read "flank them" as an advice but far too often that doesn't work for more than maybe one of my guys.
Time pressure makes flanking difficult and the danger to activate additional enemy pods doesn't help.
I don't have fun always fighting against such overwhelming odds.
And I never believed the Dwarf Fortress mantra that losing is fun. It's not.
I have fun when I can toy around with my soldier's cool special abilities and new weapons/gadgets. I have fun when I found the right approach to a seemingly desperate situation which then turned it into a cakewalk.
I don't have fun when nearly every encounter confronts me with overwhelming odds against me.
Or when I chose the wrong destination spot for my soldier's movement phase for the hundredth time because for some reason he can't shoot around this specific cover or the enemy still is behind cover even though the angle is preposterous or he activated another pod or the distance is still too big for the grenade launcher and so on.

I start to hate 2 action point TB combat tbh, wished it had time units like the originals. :cry:
It wasn't that annoying in NuXCOM 1 because that game was much easier. This one here could really need the flexibility and forgiveness of time units.

Last edited:
Unwanted

pbdt

Unwanted
Why dont you play on the 'Tell me a Story' difficulty?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom