Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

imweasel

Sez the main story is rather disappointing.
It really sounds like you will only get the full experience if you buy the upcoming DLC too.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
and chances are that you'll see people accusing legitimate owners of said game that "you haet Denuvo cuz u cant parrot the game now lol".

Well, it's why I hate Denuvo. I prefer to pirate most games before I decide if I'm going to buy them. I've bought too many turds based on just Let's Plays or gameplay footage.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, Square Enix.

Every time I think I'm out you lure me back in with another game I'll probably never finish.

imweasel

You can get a refund if you buy the game on Steam and play it for less than 2 hours.

Ivan

Arcane
You know I haven't played Ultima Underworld yet. Is there a mod I should use to experience it today?

Siobhan

Arbiter
That review is so inane it makes me wonder if they even played the game or just made an educated guess based on press releases and earlier demos. A random 5 minute video on youtube has more depth and logical coherence. Going from graphics to level design to German voice acting within a single section while saying little more about each one than thumbs up/down. No actual explanation as to why the gameplay changes are improvements. Vague phraseology like levels being "bigger, prettier, and more logical" that once again fails to distinguish content and presentation while relying on dubious implicit assumptions like good level design being about the size of the levels, rather than their structure. Where reasons are given, they are truly puzzling, such as combat being better because you get more XP and thus can afford more augmentations --- since when was that a problem with the first game? Regarding stealth, a single sentence is spent on a throwaway remark that enemies now become alerted if you take out one of their buddies, with no details as to how that actually works. This kind of shoddy writing is barely enough for a passing grade at the advanced high school level, and both the editor and the writer should be embarrassed.

Why yes this is the first time in 10 years that I've looked at a "professional" game review, and almost 20 years since I've seen a German one.

Gwendo

Augur
Edge:

While Mankind Divided’s main story thread can be
rattled through in 20 or so hours, its world – in which
sidequests unfurl into complex threads of their own
and the potential for exploration and experimental play
is dizzying – invites you to linger. This confident
refinement of Human Revolution’s potent, though
flawed, proof of concept has resulted in one of the
most elaborate videogame sandboxes in which
we’ve ever had the pleasure of getting lost.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
You can get a refund if you buy the game on Steam and play it for less than 2 hours.

Slight clarification - you can get a no questions asked refund with playtime under 2 hours and you've owned it for less than 14 days. If the game is outright busted, you can get a refund after that period.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see why you would need to worry about "demoing" this game. It's not some totally new thing, it's a sequel to Human Revolution that is also clearly inspired by Dishonored. Buy it if you like those games.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Pretty good retrospective by Ross on Deus Ex - uploaded yesterday. Get's interesting around 23:00 when he points out the predictions made that have actually come true.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is the epitome of the phrase, one step forward, two steps back. I hate comparing it to Human Revolution as it was something special, but Mankind Divided feels like an underwhelming, repackaged experience. That’s not to say it’s a bad game as there’s a decently sized city to explore and the Breach mode is highly entertaining, but it’s a step down from a five-year-old game. Most of the supporting cast of characters never fully become developed, and it doesn’t help that there’s no stakes throughout the eight to twenty-five hour long campaign. No one is truly put in a situation of peril. Worst yet, the scenario layout for the main missions is easily described as uninspired, lazily slapping shortcuts all over the place. Granted, there are various ways to approach each area, but every single scenario is broken down in the exact same way where there’s far too many open grates to hide in and easily accessible security terminal to gain access to. Even the fantastic conversation system is less impressive due to it being underutilized this time around. Thankfully, the core stealth component is as exceptional as ever and even the gunplay is more of a viable option. This is aided with the additional abilities to Jensen’s already capable arsenal. Despite being a successor to Human Revolution, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided somehow ends up feeling more like a predecessor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom