Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
That's probably a more realistic reason why they left them out, they just don't mix with 1UPT ;)

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Oops. https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4ye255/did_they_accidentally_just_reveal_most_leaders/

Q0GJwl1.png

C97j1dc.png

Ancient
Gilgamesh

Classical
Cleopatra
Gorgo
Qin Shi Huang
Pericles
Tomyris
Trajan

Medieval
Frederick Barbarossa
Harald Harada
Hojo Tokimune
Saladin

Renaissance
Catherine de Medici
Montezuma
Mvemba a Nzinga
Peter
Philip II

Industrial
Pedro II
Teddy Roosevelt
Victoria

Modern
Gandhi

baturinsky

Arcane
Who the fuck is that Hojo Tokimune prick? If anyone is fit to represent Japan, it would be probably Tokugawa.

SirArvedeth

Novice
Ieyasu is probably way too controversial for Firaxis (like Mongolians) - as there still might be some descendants of Western Army's supporters living in the world. Probably don't want to offend them.

GrainWetski

Arcane
They're offending me by only having male leaders in the game. Better start over, Firaxis.

Mazisky

Magister
I never played a Civ and i never liked 4x because i'm more focused on tactics (Xcom, ja2) than diplmoacy or other "abstract" stuff, but i want to try him...do u suggesto buyng this or the previous?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would not play Civ 4, it had retarded cultural system. I ignored edge city of enemy and conquered their capital with my stack of doom. Had all my troops in it and 5 turns later it fliped back to previous owner before I could even start to build stuff inside. After that shit I gave up on Civ 4

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I would not play Civ 4, it had retarded cultural system. I ignored edge city of enemy and conquered their capital with my stack of doom. Had all my troops in it and 5 turns later it fliped back to previous owner before I could even start to build stuff inside. After that shit I gave up on Civ 4

Well, last I checked, capturing the enemy's capital while completely leaving everything else untouched wasn't Standard Operational Procedure in real life, either. You do silly things, you get silly results; that's not the game's fault.

Yes, Civ 4's culture system is retarded because you can't do the dumbest strategy imaginable and still win. You also managed to intentionally tick the "cities flip after conquest" option when starting a new game which explicitly allows this to happen. So you went out of your way to sabotage yourself while also specifically configuring the game to allow you to sabotage yourself and are complaining that something bad happened?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes, Civ 4's culture system is retarded because you can't do the dumbest strategy imaginable and still win. You also managed to intentionally tick the "cities flip after conquest" option when starting a new game which explicitly allows this to happen. So you went out of your way to sabotage yourself while also specifically configuring the game to allow you to sabotage yourself and are complaining that something bad happened?
That was default option, I didn't check that shit at all. And I don't remember if that was an option at all at the time. I didn't come back to it after that shit.
Well, last I checked, capturing the enemy's capital while completely leaving everything else untouched wasn't Standard Operational Procedure in real life, either. You do silly things, you get silly results; that's not the game's fault.
With a superior army I could capture anything but it was quickest to do the Blitzkrieg to the capital, get AIs best city and then move outwards from there. That how I did it in all StackOfDoom 4x games. I would clear any armies on my way and get the best city first (only others if they are in direct way towards best city.

I only changed this behaviour once I played Civ 5 because of 1UPT system made it too much management. So Civ 5 made another thing more realistic compared to previous Civs (in addition to removing culture stupidity).

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't think I ever once felt threatened by an AI military in Civ5. Not a single time. There were many times in Civ4 I got DoW'd and there was an immediate sense of dread and panic as I was ill-prepared for the onslaught, but Civ5? There was not a single instance because even a few basic units could rope-a-dope the AI into the submission. I think 1-UPT is actually one of the more "unrealistic" things Civ has put forth.

Also, Civ4's representation of culture is actually quite realistic and plays to a sort of mechanical minutiae that is probably never going to appear in the series again.

I wish they'd reintroduce a more complicated espionage system and bring corporations back, but both also seem similarly bogged down by being too "mechanical" as the series moves to pancake everything into a sort of flat, macro-decision format.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
What makes Civ4 decline to previous episodes is the reduction of micromanagement choices across the board. In previous games, for example, if you have a Cow tile then you have the choice of whether to mine it or irrigate it for vastly different results in how it effected your game. In Civ4 if you have a Cow tile then you just have a Cow tile and you just put a road on it. If I remember correctly, of course. They completely munchkined the worker element of the game and made the whole concept of Settlers and Workers harder to attain with less use once built. My first time playing it I won every win condition first time on whatever the 'normal' difficulty is because there was nothing really nuanced about it, everything you did was kinda one-option/obvious-option. Maybe things get more nuanced on much harder settings, but in previous episodes there were vast gulfs between easy and normal and then normal and hard, and the reason for this was the sheer myriad of options and not-obvious things you could do.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone calls the cultural system in C4 retarded? Ok, now I'm seriously triggered. This was one of the most brilliant novelties that this game introduced.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
With a superior army I could capture anything but it was quickest to do the Blitzkrieg to the capital, get AIs best city and then move outwards from there. That how I did it in all StackOfDoom 4x games. I would clear any armies on my way and get the best city first (only others if they are in direct way towards best city.

So you're saying the game is bad because it doesn't fully and slavishly copy the silly features of other games. You incorrectly assuming it will be identical to others is totally the game's fault, not yours. Gotcha.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I never played a Civ and i never liked 4x because i'm more focused on tactics (Xcom, ja2) than diplmoacy or other "abstract" stuff, but i want to try him...do u suggesto buyng this or the previous?
Get Civ IV + expansions + mods like "dune wars", "rise of mankind", "master of mana" or "fall from heaven", ignore the rest
fixed for you.

That should be Dune Wars Revival and Master of Mana Xtended, since those are the projects that are still sort-of being updated. Unless you specifically meant an older version of Master of Mana, I've heard others express that preference.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you're saying the game is bad because it doesn't fully and slavishly copy the silly features of other games. You incorrectly assuming it will be identical to others is totally the game's fault, not yours. Gotcha.
He tried a completely retarded exploit, it didn't work and he ragequit for evar. Therefore the game is shit. Sounds pretty simple.

Get Civ IV + expansions + mods like "dune wars", "rise of mankind", "master of mana" or "fall from heaven", ignore the rest
fixed for you.

That should be Dune Wars Revival and Master of Mana Xtended, since those are the projects that are still sort-of being updated. Unless you specifically meant an older version of Master of Mana, I've heard others express that preference.

i haven't tried dw revival yet so i can't comment, but i express my preference to vanilla mom: xtended is just too much exploitable too soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom