Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2016 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fallout 2 had an engine upgrade, to my knowledge, along with other improvements and new conten that set itself side from fallout 1.

So it was a lot like D:OS 2?

JasonNH

Augur
In D:OS 2, combat looks exactly the same (and combat speed still shit), mostly same skills with new features or just reworked, but at the core, the same, the story is perhaps abit better, but I don't expect great things from it.

Then you aren't paying very close attention. They have added source abilities (power-up mechanic with long term-trade offs), height modifiers, physical and magical armor types, memory stat affecting the number of skills you can have at one time, more skill crafting, and additional elemental combinations of cursing and blessing and probably more than that. I played against Swen at PAX East and got obliterated quickly because I was playing with a DOS:EE mindset. That doesn't work. Combat is deeper with far more permutations. The combat shouldn't be changing drastically from its predecessor as it was widely held as one of its best features. Improved enemy AI and encounter design can take it even further, which they already started in the EE and I expect to continue in DOS2.

Last edited:
Weasel
From what we've seen, I'm not sure how much more ambitious a company could get with a sequel, without making a very different game. More writers, content, polish, evolution of existing systems with additional mechanics... significantly bigger budget. Overall it seems like a big step and I hope it generates the sales needed to make it all worthwhile.

Pity Fargo isn't involved so Daedalos can't get excited too, but we can't have everything I guess.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Improved enemy AI and encounter design can take it even further, which they already started in the EE and I expect to continue in DOS2.

I forgot to mention that: what I saw of the enemy AI in D:OS 2 seemed smarter than in D:OS 1 to me, and miles above games like PoE (where unengaged enemies still spend time inside a hazard AoE instead of taking just one step to leave it). And cursing/blessing is very fun, although the precise effects haven't been pinned down yet according to Swen. Currently, Bless seems to cure some status effects when cast on a character, but it can also turn a fire surface into healing fire; conversely, cursing a fire surface can make the fire impossible to put out.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Improved enemy AI and encounter design can take it even further, which they already started in the EE and I expect to continue in DOS2.

I forgot to mention that: what I saw of the enemy AI in D:OS 2 seemed smarter than in D:OS 1 to me, and miles above games like PoE (where unengaged enemies still spend time inside a hazard AoE instead of taking just one step to leave it). And cursing/blessing is very fun, although the precise effects haven't been pinned down yet according to Swen. Currently, Bless seems to cure some status effects when cast on a character, but it can also turn a fire surface into healing fire; conversely, cursing a fire surface can make the fire impossible to put out.
You're getting me way too hyped for this :swen:

Drowed

Arcane
We'll see if D:OS2 can break the rule of "great starting area, meh everything else" that Larian seems to be a victim of, starting in Divine Divinity and through D:OS. (Even if I liked D:OS anyways.)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fallout 2 had an engine upgrade, to my knowledge, along with other improvements and new conten that set itself side from fallout 1.

So it was a lot like D:OS 2?

Yeah, except fallout 2 and the fallout universe/setting was good, and ppl wanted more o' dat ;D

Combined with the fact, that sequels today, need to have more than just "more of the same" to be considered truly great.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Like I said in the main D:OS 2 thread, the game looks like a glorified directors cut with new content. Or an extended mod. Like what D:OS EE should have been, but weren't. (improved story, new content etc)

I'm not saying you're "wrong" or anything, but if to you D:OS2 is a glorified mod/expansion, what did you call Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate 2?

Regardless, times change, and what people expect from a sequel has also changed. If you made fallout 2 today, people would probably also be butthurt about that. Back in the old days, not so much.

But yeah, fallout 1 and the universe was a great game to begin with, which D:OS didn't really have. So the sequel still felt fresh and new, because the story was so different, and nicely written, and enough new content.
God almighty, that fucking Icewind Dale2, with its new story, new music, lots of new features, upgraded engine! It only seemd like an enchanced edition to the IWD 1 (which was also piece of shit).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I trust Larian to get most things right after DOS, the one problem was the absolutely invisible writing. It's interesting to see Bubbles gush at it, though the screenshots are showing the indirect responses so it's harder to tell.

I checked the press kit again to see if there were any meaty direct dialogues to quote, but there's maybe five sentences in total across all of the screenshots. Instead, here's some more examples of the game's writing style:

YaWzuzh.jpg

jallS2a.jpg

auT1QhK.jpg

aSTjvWo.jpg

The last one still shows some direct dialogue options.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I checked the press kit again to see if there were any meaty direct dialogues to quote, but there's maybe five sentences in total across all of the screenshots. Instead, here's some more examples of the game's writing style:

YaWzuzh.jpg

jallS2a.jpg

auT1QhK.jpg

aSTjvWo.jpg

The last one still shows some direct dialogue options.

If only you could push all of them to the sea...

Zeriel

Arcane
In D:OS 2, combat looks exactly the same (and combat speed still shit), mostly same skills with new features or just reworked, but at the core, the same, the story is perhaps abit better, but I don't expect great things from it.

Then you aren't paying very close attention. They have added source abilities (power-up mechanic with long term-trade offs), height modifiers, physical and magical armor types, memory stat affecting the number of skills you can have at one time, more skill crafting, and additional elemental combinations of cursing and blessing and probably more than that. I played against Swen at PAX East and got obliterated quickly because I was playing with a DOS:EE mindset. That doesn't work. Combat is deeper with far more permutations. The combat shouldn't be changing drastically from its predecessor as it was widely held as one of its best features. Improved enemy AI and encounter design can take it even further, which they already started in the EE and I expect to continue in DOS2.

That's to say nothing of the fact that the engine itself HAS been upgraded. For one, it uses physically based rendering now. I'm sure there's lots more going on behind the scenes.

We'll see if D:OS2 can break the rule of "great starting area, meh everything else" that Larian seems to be a victim of, starting in Divine Divinity and through D:OS. (Even if I liked D:OS anyways.)

If you think Divine Divinity's starting area is better than the rest of the game you're straight-up deranged. The biggest criticism Divine Divinity got was that the starting area was misleading and didn't represent the rest of the game--and not in a good way. The starting area was reminscient of Diablo in level design, whereas the rest of the game was open-ended and draws more comparisons to Ultima than any other game in the series.

Bubbles

It's a small quibble, but I think their dialogue system would be vastly improved by just removing the asterisks. It's clear from context for everything except perhaps the NPCs text that these are actions, the asterisks just make the player feel like they're reading some teenager's RP chatlogs. Maybe that's just me, though. What does everyone else think?

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Nice work on the interview guys. Swen is a bro and his passion for cRPGs is awesome to see.

Here's what I'm expecting for D:OS2:

+++++ Combat. It was awesome in the first game and will be as good or better in this one.
+++ C&C. It looks like reactivity is important to them which is refreshing. If they can maintain it across the course of the game then it will be a true achievement.
+ Multiplayer. I only played it single player but it seems like a lot of people enjoy playing with friends.
+ Humor. No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!
- Area design. Cyseal was a huge area and I got so sick of running around it. If this new city he's talking about is even larger then I actually see it as a bad thing.
- Art. The first game was garish and ugly and this looks like more of the same. The character models in particular are cringeworthy.
-- Story. We'll see if they can improve it but I don't expect anything spectacular. Good storytelling in games is such a rare thing.
------ Itemization. The first game had the worst type of trash MMO loot and crafting systems, and apparently they don't see a problem with it. Oh well.

It seems like they are really emphasizing the Origin stories. I think I'd be more excited if they put those resources into creating interesting factions and sidequests, or just putting more effort into the crit path. But maybe they won't turn out to be shit.

Regardless I'd be willing to bet the game will be lightyears better than anything released by Obsidian or inXile in the next 5 years.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
It's a small quibble, but I think their dialogue system would be vastly improved by just removing the asterisks. It's clear from context for everything except perhaps the NPCs text that these are actions, the asterisks just make the player feel like they're reading some teenager's RP chatlogs. Maybe that's just me, though. What does everyone else think?
Yeah, I would drop the asterisks and put direct speech in quotes instead.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Watching Swen run around in KS videos is very amusing.
If you mean that from update - yeah, also for a second noise there reminded me of PST market... How terribly I miss those times. :(

Meh, pointy elbows, :2/5: at best.
We need confirmation that "possible she" isn't a trap.

got obliterated quickly because I was playing with a DOS:EE mindset. That doesn't work. Combat is deeper with far more permutations.
Yeah, that's a good sign.

I checked the press kit again to see if there were any meaty direct dialogues to quote, but there's maybe five sentences in total across all of the screenshots. Instead, here's some more examples of the game's writing style.
I should admit I can't stand art style of portraits now. Dunno what happened with me, but it is unbearable. Only with a portraitpack.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I am getting a bit repetitive here but fuck those screenshots... I bet the game going to be awesome, but that art looks like if Pathfinder got even more drunk and somebody put random facebook game inventory item assets in it.
And Swen is proud of it? What the hell.

Well anyway, you cant have everything.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Starting to get little hyped about D:OS2. I think that the art style is MUCH better than in D:OS, 9/10 points for that. Too bad you didn't get a chance to ask about the itemization, but if people haven't criticized it out of the Codex it might be something they haven't picked up at all.

SniperHF

Arcane
Starting to get little hyped about D:OS2. I think that the art style is MUCH better than in D:OS, 9/10 points for that. Too bad you didn't get a chance to ask about the itemization, but if people haven't criticized it out of the Codex it might be something they haven't picked up at all.

They know:
https://larian.uservoice.com/forums...me-ideas/suggestions/9510270-hand-placed-loot
https://larian.uservoice.com/forums...stions/9297957-not-completely-randomized-loot

dwelfusius

Novice
Also, a lot of people outside of here may have had problems with Swen's language, but I feel that it shows his level of enthusiasm for the craft and the fact that he doesn't seem to hold himself above the common man.

Sorry off-topic but is this so? Because indeed I have seen mentions of it and I cannot understand why? I'm flemish myself but don't consider him to have a lack of english proficiency, or is it maybe more the enthusiastic meandering adhd style of talking they have issues with?

On topic.. fairly hyped , maybe partially because even when they let me down (divinity ego draconis I'm looking at you :( ) I don't feel particularly cheated since afterwards they had DKS which they sold for less,was better and thus restored my faith in them being able to see what it is that goes wrong and fixing it.
Looking very much forward to spellcrafting, and like that people will detect stuff has been stolen from their house now (in a podcast with swen and crhis on usgamer) and thus raise alert levels.

Certainly one of the best and most apprehensive reviews/previews I've read, thx codex.

dwelfusius

Novice
This is what happen when you put people who love games and RPG in charge of makin an RPG instead of shitheads sleazy businessmen and hack programmers who dont care about games.
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that there will be a lot more emphasis on actually learning people how to use the modding tool.A certain point I even think there was mention of dedicated people (from LArian) assisting users making mods.More modding community support was a KS goad anyway, let's see how that turns out.So much potential for great stories, or even just cool arena maps... Or who knows, if they manage to get GM mode right, there might be some very awesome things ahead.

*Must contain myself..wait for next year summer before final release* (knowing larian it wouldn't amaze me it if were something like this xD)

Weasel
Sorry off-topic but is this so? Because indeed I have seen mentions of it and I cannot understand why? I'm flemish myself but don't consider him to have a lack of english proficiency, or is it maybe more the enthusiastic meandering adhd style of talking they have issues with?

By 'language' they meant the swearing, which most here wouldn't give a fuck about but Swen did joke about in his tweet on this preview.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Since the engine got such an upgrade, any chance it's Vulkan/Dx12 now? At least the option would be nice.

This is from last year:

And what about platforms? Will Original Sin 2 be released for consoles or is it going to be a PC exclusive? You already have fantastic controller support in the demo that you showed us, so…?

For now, we are completely focusing on the PC version. Different platforms like Mac, Linux or consoles are still a mystery, since we don’t know how well they will handle engines based on DirectX 12 (engine of Original Sin 2 will use it a lot). The system requirements for PC players are going to be higher than previously, but we cannot speak of the details yet. The game is still in the early prototype phase so a lot of things will change before the release.

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=254

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom