Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

DramaticPopcorn

Huh, from their description I assumed Linguistic and Noble to be the only social skills but I guess they all get its play sooner or later.

Jazz_

Arcane
Does the combat get better when you progress in the game? I'm at the beginning and I like the art style/atmosphere a lot (albeit the music is kinda meh) but the combat is really too bland so far.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does the combat get better when you progress in the game? I'm at the beginning and I like the art style/atmosphere a lot (albeit the music is kinda meh) but the combat is really too bland so far.

Personally, I think the beginning is the best part of the game gameplay-wise. The first wilderness area is relatively light on trash mobs and has quite a few unique encounters, but afterwards the game goes heavy on mazes filled with 50+ enemies of the same one or two types. There's a reasonably interesting puzzle sequence later on, but that's it. Basically, you shouldn't play SitS for the gameplay.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Personally, I think the beginning is the worst part of the game gameplay-wise. The first wilderness area is relatively heavy on trash mobs and has few unique encounters, but afterwards the game goes heavy on variety filled with many enemies of varying and interesting types. There's a very interesting puzzle sequence later on, but that's not the half of it. Basically, you should play SitS for the gameplay.

I don't know how into RPGs you are, but practically every RPG starts out shit, its a classic trope. I've no idea why you're even posting questions after just starting the beginning of an RPG, you sound like a child who's nagging "are we nearly there yet" after just leaving the driveway.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So i waited long enough and now installed version 16. Combat is smoother and i don't feel like i am breaking the game right from the start anymore. The beginning felt tougher, but with a couple of levels and nice equipment i have easier time again.

Didn't find any guides online after a year, what's up with that?

Question: Arrived at Corem again. And again nobody from the guilds is willing to talk to me. I am at 2 Nobility, 2 Harbinger. Any Hints?
Last time i killed everyone in the town in a massive massacre. Felt like i am playing it wrong and quit...

sstacks

Arcane
Question: Arrived at Corem again. And again nobody from the guilds is willing to talk to me. I am at 2 Nobility, 2 Harbinger. Any Hints?
Last time i killed everyone in the town in a massive massacre. Felt like i am playing it wrong and quit...

I'm not sure the guilds ever talk with you, they didn't me. Whalenought_Joe ?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

I'm not sure the guilds ever talk with you, they didn't me. Whalenought_Joe ?
So the only way is to force my way through and murder everyone? I tried to go as a cat, but nope, cats are also not allowed...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It was originally possible to sneak into the docks, but it seems to have been patched out.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
After killing the guildmembers i was able to talk to the Mihaela (shipping guild). I could confront her about Erlein being murderded in the docks, where only guildmembers are allowed (How did I get there, huh? - she did not ask...). But she basically downplayed the whole thing as random murder by drunktards. Not sure if conspiracy or designed to tickle in all the right places and then laugh in your face. Had to move on...

It looked so RPG-straightforward: i need to get in some special place in the city, there are two factions, i learn there is a dispute... So i am ready to choose sides, double cross and get rich... but nope.

Mystary!

Arcane
Any way to use Woodwise Aptitude for detecting traps in a quicker way? Right now I've got to press the Quick Aptitude key, hover over to the quickbar, click Woodwise, then hover back and click my character. Seems rather cumbersome.
I changed the keybinds so that might've fucked up the short cuts for Aptitudes...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It looked so RPG-straightforward: i need to get in some special place in the city, there are two factions, i learn there is a dispute... So i am ready to choose sides, double cross and get rich... but nope.

Once you get out of the starting areas a good rule of thumb is that everything to the left of the bridge is a bit boring and underwhelming, everything from the bridge and over to the right is interesting and surprisingly entertaining.

circ

Arcane
Oh god this game guys.

It looks like something left on the ground after I've gotten too drunk, a blurry undescriptive mess, without any consistent art direction. The resolutions come in two flavors, tiny as fuck or fullscreen. Huh. And the combat well, it's on the level of Arcanum.

What's with the load times? It's like an unoptimized AAA title.

The writing seemed at least passable.

What's the appeal here guys?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh god this game guys.

It looks like something left on the ground after I've gotten too drunk, a blurry undescriptive mess, without any consistent art direction. The resolutions come in two flavors, tiny as fuck or fullscreen. Huh. And the combat well, it's on the level of Arcanum.

Exploration without any handholding, cool setting, pixel graphics, decent character development system, puzzles that makes you use your brain and an interesting end.

sstacks

Arcane
Oh god this game guys.

Exploration without any handholding, cool setting, pixel graphics, decent character development system, puzzles that makes you use your brain and an interesting end.

That plus the pixel love aesthetic.

DramaticPopcorn

Oh god this game guys.

Bolded the only relevant and objective part, the rest is inconsequential subjective drivel.

How about the fact that the world and the story are completely static and don't respond to anything that you do?
And if you don't follow the intended path, the story will make little to no sense ?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh god this game guys.

Bolded the only relevant and objective part, the rest is inconsequential subjective drivel.

How about the fact that the world and the story are completely static and don't respond to anything that you do?
And if you don't follow the intended path, the story will make little to no sense ?
It's subjective, just like his and your opinions. The story makes sense if you have a brain and the puzzles are good. The pixel graphics are nice but you might not like pixel graphics.

circ

Arcane
Oh brother those arguments. The graphics looks like ass? Well you must not like pixel graphox lolol. That's up there with you must complete a game 7 times to critique it. Fuck off with that shit.

No buddy, when I think pixel I don't think blurry indistinguishable blobs. And certainly not a palette so monotone.

I did notice that the resolution scales automatically. That's a nice touch. Shame it doesn't scale sensibly. If it's fullscreen, everything is too big and you'll be scrolling constantly. Scale it down and everything's too small to make out properly.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Oh brother those arguments. The graphics looks like ass? Well you must not like pixel graphox lolol. That's up there with you must complete a game 7 times to critique it. Fuck off with that shit.

No buddy, when I think pixel I don't think blurry indistinguishable blobs. And certainly not a palette so monotone.

I did notice that the resolution scales automatically. That's a nice touch. Shame it doesn't scale sensibly. If it's fullscreen, everything is too big and you'll be scrolling constantly. Scale it down and everything's too small to make out properly.
I'm simply stating what I liked about the game. No one has to agree. Or should I only say what you want to hear?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

That's your problem then. I liked the style, it was unique. 3D they have in Copper Dreams is much more boring when compared.

But yeah, "pixel graphics" doesn't describe anything. It's like saying "you must not like wet things then" when someone says they don't like beer.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Pixel graphics are fine when you CAN SEE SHIT. The resolution is so low that eitehr playing windowed or full screen your eyes get sore. Can be the best game ever but looking at this shit is torture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom