Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

A horse of course

Stick it where?

1eyedking

Erudite
Thanks 1eyedking. You are one of the the most valued posters here.
I don't post much at all, what are you talking about?
My gaming tastes have changed a lot in the past ten years and I no longer hold 'gameplay' and 'choices and consequences' to be the holy chalice of gaming -- not that there's ever been much of that, either.
Many projects have come out from the Codex recently, sporting C&C and "deep gameplay" as their banner and have been nothing but a great disappointment: empty, dead shells imitating works from a golden era while forgetting completely about the artistic elements that are what makes a game truly memorable.

These are turbulent times in the land of the vidya. Not many a great game has come out in the past five years, and the wind brings nothing but ill tidings for the future.

Stopped reading right there.
They sport different kinds of art direction. The first one is more serious and has that first-time bonus, but it's bare-bones compared to the meatier dish the sequel provides. To put it bluntly, Fallout 1 is not the kind of game that lets you assassinate a senator by planting a bomb on his son and telling him to go play with daddy, or make a gravedigger catch the mine he just dug out while you give him a dark smirk and the empathy perk makes the line's text red...
And to be honest, I tend to see both games as one (given they had the same engine and practically the same assets), so I have trouble separating them in my mind.

Let's just say they're both great.

Hey 1eyedking what do you think about the art direction in Rockstar's Manhunt?
Beyond the "edgy" vibe I'm getting from looking at the screenshots, I can't say much 'cause I never played it.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
what do you mean when you say artistic? just the art style, creativity, atmosphere or are you factoring in game mechanics?

1eyedking

Erudite
what do you mean when you say artistic? just the art style, creativity, atmosphere or are you factoring in game mechanics?
Just the art style, creativity and atmosphere. Otherwise games with bad or bland mechanics such as Inquisitor and DOOM3 (respectively) wouldn't be there.

Last edited:

1eyedking

Erudite
This list warranted an update, and will probably be a long time before I update it again. Artistically atmospheric games are becoming increasingly rare nowadays, if not absent completely.

Added:
  • RUINER (fantastic game)
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity
  • Metro Exodus
  • HOM&M 4 as an honorable mention.
Moved Darkwood to the upper category: it's that good.

1eyedking

Erudite
And now for the artistically superior multiplayer games:
  • Battlefield 1
  • HUNT: Showdown
I considered adding Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey as honorary mentions given they're some of the most tasteful interpretations of ancient Egypt and Greece to date, but the visuals are not good enough to counteract the abysmal plot, writing, and music. Also, no atmosphere whatsoever.

PS: would like to add I was recently pleasantly surprised by some of Rise of the Tomb Raider's scenery, but that's it. Not a terribly atmospheric game honestly.
PS2: added >Observer_ (the walking sim), WH40K Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Space Hulk: Deahtwing. List was definitely missing some Warhammer.

Last edited:
Whatever AssCreed games may have, they have the most cancerous UI ever put into a videogame. That shit is so bad that I just looked away seeing my friend playing the one taking place in Greece. Yeah, it looks nice inside the game. But UI is like big steaming pile of shit put on top of nice graphics.

1eyedking

Erudite
Whatever AssCreed games may have, they have the most cancerous UI ever put into a videogame. That shit is so bad that I just looked away seeing my friend playing the one taking place in Greece. Yeah, it looks nice inside the game. But UI is like big steaming pile of shit put on top of nice graphics.
I agree, the UI is pretty bad—but then again so are UIs in 99% of games nowadays.

I personally like the more hand-crafted UI's like in Fallout, Rome: Total War, StarCraft, Infinity Engine games, etc. Good luck finding those in today's day and age of ultra-widescreen 4K resolutions; up to a certain point I can understand why they now make them like they do, and it's even grown into a niche of its own, going as far as being a game design specialization.

1eyedking

Erudite
Due to my recent foray into Disco Faggotium, I decided to replay Planescape: Torment to see how it stacks up in comparison, and boy does the writing *suck* (thus, both games suck).

I truly didn't remember it to be so bad. If you don't believe me, just take a gander at Deionarra's Sensory Stone and you'll see what I mean—it's teenager fanfiction-tier stuff we're talking about here.

At least the plot is still interesting, but whomever wrote the Clerk's Ward (I think it was Colin McComb) needs to be shot.

PS: Added Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun to the list

Lilliput McHammersmith

Due to my recent foray into Disco Faggotium, I decided to replay Planescape: Torment to see how it stacks up in comparison, and boy does the writing *suck* (thus, both games suck).

I truly didn't remember it to be so bad. If you don't believe me, just take a gander at Deionarra's Sensory Stone and you'll see what I mean—it's teenager fanfiction-tier stuff we're talking about here.

At least the plot is still interesting, but whomever wrote the Clerk's Ward (I think it was Colin McComb) needs to be shot.

PS: Added Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun to the list

Hard disagree. Deionarra's story is tragic, plus when you are reading that, you have the amazing theme playing. Planescape: Torment has some of the greatest (and most unique) art of any game that I have played. The music, environments, character designs, they all fit together and make a truly unforgettable experience. I'm not speaking out of nostalgia here, I played PS:T for the first time last year. In my opinion, the only game that really competes with Planescape in terms of atmosphere and art is Fallout 1. I think the music plays a big role, and Mark Morgan composed the music for both of them, so it makes sense.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
HOgqE2j.png

This being the RPG Codex, I was honestly kind of expecting the title to say "tasteful rape".

1eyedking

Erudite
  • Added Ghostrunner (great OST)
  • Added Factorio
  • Added Blasphemous
  • Added Necromunda: Hired Gun
  • Added The Ascent
  • Added Diablo II: Resurrected
  • Added WORLD OF HORROR

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom