Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:
It lives again! Wait, We are not dead yet? How strange.

1A>B
2B

If this fails, Erd will die and the CYOA will be finally over, allowing treave to do something else. If it doesn't, we might be able to "recruit" said Angel for ourselves. Win-win situation.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I have no idea what would work. Last time we tried to teleport didn't work out so good so I'm hesitant to try that. Reality tear sounds great if we can just land the hit but that might not be so easy. Then there is the Brobatos option to use lightning fists. But since I am magic>might, I'm going go with

BB.

Kipeci

Arcane
Ouch, that could have gone a little better. Let's see some of what has changed for us.

Erdrick Mercant
Lv. 10 Seraphic Lord
Vitality: C++
Mana: A (A+++)
Physical Attack: C (C+)
Physical Defense: B (B++)
Magical Attack: B++
Magical Defense: A (S+)
Agility: B (B+)
Charisma: B

This part is really one of the few things that went well for us. I think we got a halo upgrade of some sort on top of the upgrades we chose, because our mana and definitely our magical defense appear to be better than anticipated and I think the text about the halo mentions those being at moderate upgrades instead of minor ones. We also seem to have jumped clear past a few levels from our little XP-collecting operation, though unfortunately the bulk of those levels seem to have provided not very much meat for actual upgrade of our skill. It kinda makes sense, considering how pitiably the bulk of Yuria's citizens died without being able to oppose us in any meaningful way that we might learn from.

The truly unfortunate thing is that we've cleared into past the S rank for Magical Defense and that seems to have given us practically zilch in terms of defenses that we can apply to the present scenario. I was relying on this (at a high A rating, not clear into S+) to keep us relatively safe while we figured out what in the world we ought to do, but it seems like the only defensive quality we really have capable of preserving us in the face of her overwhelming power is the amusement factor that playing with our innards is providing to distract the angel. Her stats must just be totally off the scale, which I suppose would make sense for an ancient superweapon that only gains power through her favorite past-time of slaughtering cities and gnawing the bones of what survivors remain.

Without hesitation, you rain down destruction upon the angel. The very air burns with your spells. With a sweep of your hand you summon raging storms of fire and ice to flood the entire crater. Innumerable javelins of magic, crackling with the power of the four elements, home in on the center of the giant crater where this kingdom’s capital once stood, and blast even more misshapen holes into the earth.

But even you cannot keep up the volley forever. As you pause for just a second, to recover your breath before chanting the next spell, a loud boom shatters the chaotic din of your magic. The next thing you feel is pain. Again, a sensation that you have not felt for a while. Your sight blackens, and you feel yourself tumbling uncontrollably in the sky. With a yell of effort, you steady yourself, spreading your wings… and then, you look up. The angel hovers above you. Her right hand is covered with red, and she is squeezing something fleshy within it. It spatters within her grip, staining her body with fresh blood that drips down her naked skin. She lets out a blissful sigh, followed by a little giggle.

The pain spreads, a hot, burning sensation in your left flank. Without even looking down, you know that she has gouged out a chunk of your flesh. You are sure you had cast Battle Premonition beforehand; but then again, it works on what you can see, and if you cannot see it…

The angel’s visage blurs.

This time you are prepared and fully forewarned, and manage to throw yourself aside in time as she lunges at you with terrifying speed. And that is all you can manage even with your foreknowledge, a frantic, uncontrolled dodge in mid-air. Her charge tears another wound in your side, and she swoops around almost instantly to keep the pressure on you, howling in glee.
Okay, this makes it clear that a conventional assault is going to be fairly worthless. We filled that crater up with all manner of spellery, she didn't care for a moment. She dispelled all that with a shriek, just like she did with the lava, and proved herself to be not only totally unharmed but capable of outclassing even our predictive powers and punching holes through us at will. This means that one of the options is outright confirmed to be suicidally stupid.

I'm talking, of course, about option 2A. Now, if I recall correctly, Gigadyne Verandert has the Battle Premonition built into it because otherwise we'd end up going far too fast to have any idea of where we're going and splat ourselves somewhere. Our opponent, however, is fast enough that we can't track half of her moves with it. Gigadyne Verandert narrows the gap in speed, but it won't surmount that. She's simply too fast.

What's more, even if we are impervious to most physical strikes that way, that shriek of hers is a devastating area of effect move that's shown no problems in dispelling our prior magic and even extinguishing the molten ruins of the former city as if those were a mere candle. Remember, we are transferred to magic in that Gigadyne Verandert form; if she simply extinguishes us in one fell swoop, that's it. Game over! All it takes is one type of attack and we're simply screwed, and we don't even have the hope of dodging nor blocking it.

Option 2A is basically a continuation of the current fight, and it's doomed to fail. The gulf between us as it is now is too much to surmount by simply trying harder. What we can do is to either sabotage her or flee back home, lick our wounds, and come up with a plan. Either of those routes hold their own advantages and disadvantages.

For the void slash plan, it's promising because it limits the damage she's capable of. There's no way to defend from that attack; when you're cut by it, you're cut, and there's not much else to do about that. There are all manner of applications here; cutting off her wings or other strategic limbs could cripple her mobility and disable many of the effective weapons that she is using, which would go quite a long ways towards allowing for us to prepare ambushes or defenses as she crawls around from place to place while remaining less gravely in danger. That'll prevent her from the easiest means she has of flying about and eliminating cities, which also limits the continued growth of her power. The main problem with it is that this is a fairly dangerous move... we're not entirely informed on the physiology of angels, particularly developed ones, so we could end up thinking we've made ourselves relatively safe in her presence when she still has the capacity to melt hills with halo laser blasts or something. Any moment that we spend attacking is also a moment not spent running away, and so we also place ourselves in immediate grave danger leaving aside any future questions. There's also I guess the chance of accidentally killing her.

Now, teleporting back allows us to be a bit smarter and more prepared. We can recover in those healing chambers, go over what we've seen with Zayan, figure out where the hell Rin is and get some back-up for dealing with this. That'll enable us to plan future strikes where we hopefully can cut out the embarassing and immediate beatdown after wearing ourselves out with launching worthless attacks part and instead at full power can start off on the right foot with ideas of assault more likely to work. As to the problems with this... it's still not exactly safe, if the angel detects that we're leaving and doesn't want us to I think she's probably more than fast enough to grab us before we can go anywhere. Leaving now allows the angel to go where she will effectively unchallenged with the full brunt of her power to bear, and every city that she destroys can only leave her stronger in the end. Maybe she can use that time to determine some bullshit counter to our bullshit void strike, also.

I'm fine with either of those plans. As for what we do for the first vote, I don't know... what I do know is that we need to have the angel distracted. Whether leaving her to her blood parade or trying to engage her in conversation is better than that, I don't know! They apparently understand some form of language, so I'm a bit curious to see what she would say if we responded in that. It may well be curiosity fit to send us to the grave, but it's also quite possible that engaging with another being for the first time in apparent ages would be distracting for her. If we were to survive, it would also be invaluable insight into angels and their, uh... cultural practices... and whether or not they provide the angels with anything useful or if they have particular hang-ups or something. Why is she painting her wings red? Why hasn't she just outright killed us instead of gone around dancing with our intestines and painting her wings? Is it just to make Erd totally miserable before he succumbs, is this how female angels get turned on? What in the world is going on here?

So for the first question I'm leaning towards B, and for the second just not A. I've no real preference for whichever one it is, but something tells me that Barbatos is wanting us to definitely change up our fighting style to something that fits the situation rather than just running off. For that reason, I'm marginally inclined towards B for the second option, though the comforts of home are also looking pretty fine right about now.

BB > BC

Baltika9 Azira, is there any reason that you two bros are voting 2A? I know that lightbane just wants an end to this and doesn't care what way, but my impression is that you two were enjoying this run pretty well. Is there any chance of reconsideration here?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm leaning towards Brobatos lending some extra power, should we choose to dance with her.

Also, this is the angel mating ritual. She's just getting in the mood. We'll sweettalk her while zipping all around her, punching her with our Mighty Fists (courtesy of Brobatos). Then we'll make sweet, sweet angel love afterwards.

You see. This is totally worth it. :M

lightbane

Arcane
Why is she painting her wings red? Why hasn't she just outright killed us instead of gone around dancing with our intestines and painting her wings? Is it just to make Erd totally miserable before he succumbs, is this how female angels get turned on? What in the world is going on here?
I think it's the latter. She made a really obvious sigh of pleasure when she took out a piece of Erdick's meat (literally!). That being said, even if dialogue would work here, Erd is not in a state to be a great conversationalist, for not to mention she might have thought we were half-dead and thus not relevant anymore. Besides, both of the Super-spells require Erd to chant their activation phrase, which she will undoubtly hear, so unless he's smart enough to hide the chant inside one of his lines, she'll notice something is going on.

I know that lightbane just wants an end to this and doesn't care what way, but my impression is that you two were enjoying this run pretty well. Is there any chance of reconsideration here?

Ouch. Well, I swear I did enjoy this story, but lately it seemed that treave was not having that much fun or too busy with RL stuff, but perhaps that's my perception. Also, it may be possible that the reason why the Angel can harm Erd is because she has crazy physical stats and magical defense, which grow stronger the more she fights (and thus the more excited she gets). The vorpal blade may be effective, but perhaps she can regenerate, or perhaps she gets angry and utterly vaporizes us, who knows.

Anyway, you convinced me. I'm going to change my vote to 1A>B, 2B.

PS: Also, Erdrick doesn't seem to be particularly concerned about his grievous injury, his regeneration powers aside. Perhaps he suffered worse during his Hero times?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Her stats must just be totally off the scale

She's got really good physical stats and isn't relying on magical attacks, so there's that.

Well, I swear I did enjoy this story, but lately it seemed that treave was not having that much fun or too busy with RL stuff, but perhaps that's my perception.

The latter, yeah. Too busy to give this CYOA the focus it needs, but I'm still trudging along.

PS: Also, Erdrick doesn't seem to be particularly concerned about his grievous injury, his regeneration powers aside. Perhaps he suffered worse during his Hero times?

Well, he was literally blown into half right in the prologue, and still survived. Kinda gives him another perspective on what constitutes grievous injury.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm leaning towards Brobatos lending some extra power, should we choose to dance with her.

Also, this is the angel mating ritual. She's just getting in the mood. We'll sweettalk her while zipping all around her, punching her with our Mighty Fists (courtesy of Brobatos). Then we'll make sweet, sweet angel love afterwards.

You see. This is totally worth it. :M
Well, the way I'm thinking from what the text says is that our choice needs to impress Barbatos or he's not going to bother helping us out. Erd has been ignoring him something fierce for a lot of the time he's been around, so I can understand him being fairly miffed by this point. His main point recently has been that Erd has been too proud and confident in his magic and other capacities... to me, I think that A just sort of carries on down that path. We're not admitting that the angel is just physically superior in about every way, we're telling ourselves that pushing to go a rank faster and giving 110% will result in victory this time around.

I don't think that's right. With her able to slip out of the sight of the predictive magic that we must use to guide ourselves in time to move properly when in lightning form, she seems fast enough to go past us without even resorting to her area of affect shriek. Rather than us being able to dig ourselves out of this by pushing ourselves harder, I think we need to either cripple her or GTFO to survive. The cutting skill is going to be pretty good at disabling her given its capacity to cut through any defenses, and the teleportation is a great way to be somewhere else very fast. I think A will probably result in a death if we don't get serious help from Barbatos or if she just keeps on toying with us. I understand your vote more now, though.

Ouch. Well, I swear I did enjoy this story, but lately it seemed that treave was not having that much fun or too busy with RL stuff, but perhaps that's my perception. Also, it may be possible that the reason why the Angel can harm Erd is because she has crazy physical stats and magical defense, which grow stronger the more she fights (and thus the more excited she gets). The vorpal blade may be effective, but perhaps she can regenerate, or perhaps she gets angry and utterly vaporizes us, who knows.
My apologies for being kinda harsh, I'm fairly invested in this so any vote that seems intentionally suicidal beyond the typical big risk/big reward just rubs me the wrong way. I don't doubt that she can regenerate, but I think that for instance cutting off her wings would allow us to have a period in which to at least recover while not losing track of her.

She's got really good physical stats and isn't relying on magical attacks, so there's that.
So, does this mean that our magical defense only has anything to do with defending from magical attacks? I thought that we had magic capable of blocking physical attacks and it was only when that stuff failed that our physical defense would kick in. I also saw something about our physical walls just getting crushed like paper the moment that they were established.

lightbane

Arcane
My apologies for being kinda harsh, I'm fairly invested in this so any vote that seems intentionally suicidal beyond the typical big risk/big reward just rubs me the wrong way. I don't doubt that she can regenerate, but I think that for instance cutting off her wings would allow us to have a period in which to at least recover while not losing track of her.

Well, I would have thought otherwise, considering you were always going for those actions that guarantized MAXIMUM CARNAGE!
That being said, teleporting is a big no, since it will make Erd's wounds even worse, while cutting her wings or whatever won't stop her permanently and she may be able to counterattack while Erd catches his breath. I dunno. The only thing I'm sure is that 1B may be used to hide the activation chant in the dialogue, but even that is not certain to work.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, does this mean that our magical defense only has anything to do with defending from magical attacks? I thought that we had magic capable of blocking physical attacks and it was only when that stuff failed that our physical defense would kick in. I also saw something about our physical walls just getting crushed like paper the moment that they were established.

Yup. Magical defense is your innate defense against magical attacks. At your current rank you can pretty much shrug off any spell from nearly any mage in the world without using any shields. However, you guys have constantly focused on magic over everything else when it comes to stat boosts, trying to min-max. So it's unfortunate you're now facing a boss-level opponent that can also ignore most forms of magic and has overwhelming physical stats, without first devising a plan to counter her. Your shielding spells have a set value they can defend against, whether magical or physical, and they don't scale to your ability like Gigadyne does, since the latter was a super spell specifically designed for that function as per its description.

Kipeci

Arcane
Darn, I wish I hadn't come under that impression or I'd not have plugged so hard for the magic option. I owe you an apology, Lambchop19, you were absolutely right.

lightbane

Arcane
Don't we have Physwall, a spell that is not a barrier but instead slightly increases our physical defense? It might come in handy here, if only to not to be one-shotted. Who knows.

Kipeci

Arcane
Don't we have Physwall, a spell that is not a barrier but instead slightly increases our physical defense? It might come in handy here, if only to not to be one-shotted. Who knows.
I think that what treave's saying is that that isn't a particularly powerful spell, and unlike Gigadyne it doesn't scale with mana. Because of that, the angel can tear through it like paper and the concentration to summon it is likely better used in just trying to avoid her attacks entirely.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yep, a +1 to physical resistance isn't enough to help you here. Also remember that your shields only block rank C and lower, so your natural physical durability is actually already better than your shields. They do prevent direct contact so it's a way of avoiding getting nailed with on-hit secondary effects that you might not be immune to, which is why you use them anyway.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm just hoping that we don't get poofed away while attempting to zip around with lightning since the consensus has fallen on that for whatever reason. Would be a bummer.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh ye of little faith. I wouldn't vote for an option I didn't believe in. My views on what is most effective differs from yours. So what?

The only one here who truly knows what would work best is treave, and he's not telling. Because that would be Cheating. +M

Kipeci

Arcane
I would be feeling much better about the plan if it had something going for it beyond the hopes that our foe will become hopelessly enamored of Erd (not just by his insides being on the outside) or that Barbatos will take pity on us and give over stupid amounts of power so that we can actually win this. I just don't see a path to victory that doesn't rely on that dumb luck with 2A.

With 2B you have some chance of disabling the angel or in 2C the chance to escape and plot a way to become either less squishy or not in a situation to be squished for whenever a re-match might happen. Not guaranteed stuff, but I think either of those options fit better than exerting the effort of a hopeless last stand.

Zwist

Learned
AB. At the risk of missing and being thoroughly fucked.

Although it will not impress our mittens, he might like the punching things really fast. As mentioned.

Running away might be the smart choice, but, well...

Talking to her might be fun, and might work. But I don't really believe in it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A - 6
B - 5

A - 6
B - 4
C - 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom