Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern - baby's first Grimrock

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.heroesofthemonkeytavern.com

https://af.gog.com/game/heroes_of_the_monkey_tavern?as=1649904300

Coming September 23:

Hey,

I am Cédric Maussion, an indie game dev who will release Heroes of the Monkey Tavern on Steam for 8$ the 22nd of September.

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern is a dungeon exploration game in the pure classical Dungeon Crawler kind.
It is a younger brother of Legend of Grimrock, for people who are new to this kind of game it is a great experience for its easiness to play, you can even play the hole game with a gamepad.

The game is based on discoveries, events and atmosphere.

It will be available on XBOX One and Playstation 4 on January 2017.

Here is the website :
http://www.heroesofthemonkeytavern.com/

The presskit :
http://www.heroesofthemonkeytavern.com/Presskit/

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I get that most dungeon crawlers will feel similar but the engine and art assets here bear an uncanny resemblance.

Nyast

Cipher
For 8$ it's not exactly expensive, I'm definitely gonna get it when it unlocks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Here the dev says it's Unity (I'm guessing that's what Grimrock uses) and most of the textures are 'substances' whatever that means. Solo project so I'm sure he ripped most of the stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah well. Still looks remarkably similar. Also, where's my review copy?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
and most of the textures are 'substances' whatever that means.
Made in Substance Painter or Substance Designer. The former provides a set of procedurally generated maps that look ok, the latter allows the user to make his own procedurally generated maps with a node editor. It's inferior to Quixel which specializes in scanned textures - they recently released mega scans, i.e. they scanned stones, grass, trees, etc with some custom built scanners and provide normal and ambient occlusion maps along with albedo. They look more realistic. Substance and Quixel are the two major roads to making textures for your 3d models.

IndieCed

Monkey Stories
Developer
Hey,

Developper here :)

There's no way they didn't outright rip assets from Grimrock. That looks like the exact same engine.
Nooooooo, I understand it could look the same because in a dungeon most of the time you meet the same kind of enemy but having played LoG recently it is not really the same kind of bestiary.

I get that most dungeon crawlers will feel similar but the engine and art assets here bear an uncanny resemblance.
The engine I used is Unity, today 7 / 10 games are made with, Almost Human are awesome enough to have made their own engine :)

Grimrock has much better art direction. This is kinda like WoW goes grid-based.
you can even play the hole game
Thanks, but I'd rather not.

Mmmm Grimrock is exceptional for sure, these guys are very talentued, about WoW I never saw it this way, surely because of the werewolf, he is one of the few to be such ... fantasy.
hole => You made me laugh ;-)
My mistake, thanks to you it is now corrected :)

For 8$ it's not exactly expensive, I'm definitely gonna get it when it unlocks.

Thanks buddy, always had in mind to bring fun for the player who will discover it, I hope you will feel it :)

Here the dev says it's Unity (I'm guessing that's what Grimrock uses) and most of the textures are 'substances' whatever that means. Solo project so I'm sure he ripped most of the stuff.

No I did not rip anything, I bought most of my stuff from the asset store or from other 3d model store. The problem is I don t have unique asset, I saw only one in another game, I hope it will last this way ;-)

Would probably buy it but Steam is no buy for me.

edit: come on, Dumb suits here better than Butthurt!

I was in contact with GoG and they were interested, I was very proud because they are exactly how I see games, No DRM (the game don t have one on Steam), a selection from a known team, back to the old good days, etc...
I even delayed my game to let them the time to test it, and after two weeks waiting they don t answer to my mail asking for status... so... I won t be able to work with them :-(

I know there are other places to sell games, do you have one in mind that would suit better how you see things?

Have a good day guys, you take care

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
No I did not rip anything, I bought most of my stuff from the asset store or from other 3d model store.
Then maybe change the environment textures a bit : too samey, too greyish and too grimrocky.
You could at least tint them, not every type of stone is light grey. I mean, look at EotB :

eye-of-the-beholder_11.gif

start1_223.png

I mean, you don't have to make it that saturated, but see what it could look like in your engine :

eob-remake-hd-002.jpg

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I was in contact with GoG and they were interested, I was very proud because they are exactly how I see games, No DRM (the game don t have one on Steam), a selection from a known team, back to the old good days, etc...
I even delayed my game to let them the time to test it, and after two weeks waiting they don t answer to my mail asking for status... so... I won t be able to work with them :-(
I know there are other places to sell games, do you have one in mind that would suit better how you see things?

Thanks for your reply! It's sad that GOG apparently stopped caring for small/independent games...
I am OK with buying games from any DRM-free source, or directly from the developer. Usually I do it via GOG though...

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Great name! Has inconsistent art (unavoidable with stock art assets). Shows obvious signs of needing polish ~which is a tell for also needing polish in other areas.
For example:
HotMT_zpscenwroxf.jpg

Nothing a week spent learning Blender couldn't fix; and doing that could also enable personal tweaks and improvements of your entire asset library; make them your own.
Polish can make all the difference in the world... Lack of it can make a 95% complete game look far less complete than it is; and the reverse is true as well.

You might let a few friends play the game, and tell them that some of its assets are incomplete; ask them if they can spot what's unfinished... They will point out the rough edges with fresh eyes.

Is it a puzzle game ~with monsters, or a monster game with puzzles? IE. Which of the two is foremost (if either), and which is in the way of finding the other. Also: Is each (more or less) equally satisfying to interact with, or is one the obvious focus, and the other [essentially] afterthought?

Last edited:

IndieCed

Monkey Stories
Developer
Hey, the game has been tested for two months but noone noticed it, me the first.
I will work on it tomorrow.
And trust me all I want is my game to be polished, and the players to feel it :)
Thank you to take the time to write it :)

About the game.... It is an interesting question ;-)
I would say both... but there are more monsters than puzzles so...
Even if normally they re all part of a plan ;-)

You take care :)

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
For $8 that doesn't look half bad. If it's less puzzle heavy than Grimrock my oldest son might enjoy it.

Nyast

Cipher
So, is it unlocking today ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom