Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions for Chris Avellone II

Fairfax

Arcane
As mentioned in the MCA Appreciation Station, Chris Avellone has agreed to another interview, this time by yours truly. I don't know if it'll be site content, though. That's up to the admins.

As for what's allowed and what isn't, here's something he said when I first DM'd him, which I think would apply here as well:

you're free to ask whatever you want, and I'll let you know what I can discuss/what I can't (normally, I'd answer anything, but there's some stuff I can't legally discuss).
If it's an interesting question about something he may not be allowed to discuss, I'll clear it up with him first.

BTW, for those who don't read the MCA Appreciation Station, here's a short of Q&A with questions I asked him on Twitter over time:

In the GI interview you said you’ve been reinforcing the bad habit of reactivity as “a lot of special cased scenarios to test rather than true systematic reactivity”.

Do you think “special case-y” reactivity is inherently bad, or did you mean the fact it pretty much dominates the genre and you wish you’d done something different?

Also, what are good examples of true systemic reactivity?

This one he ended up answering here.

In several interviews you mention a style guide you wrote, and it sounds immensely useful. Is that a general guide available somewhere or something specific from a previous project?

On the Style Guide thing, there's been a lot of random discussions about it lately, I may end up posting one for a specific project (although it would include general ones/rules as well). I've written about 5-6, I think, and they date back to the Black Isle days when we first used them to standardize text (we kept iterating on them, so they've grown over time and depending on the project).

It's one of the Creative Leads jobs to write the guide so every writer knows the conventions, hopefully before they start writing - and QA can use it as a testing plan for text bugs.

[This was before he released the Overfall guide]

What is the one advice you wish you’d known earlier in your career?

[I sent the following later]

Actually, ignore that, I was reading an older interview with you and you had already answered that.

"If you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut", if I recall correctly.

"If you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut." I'd clarify this is that this should never prevent you from making an informed, polite critique. I may have mentioned this in the Design Lessons presentation but it's the difference between "opening doors in your games sucks dick," vs. "I'm used to the Door Open/Action command always being mapped to the A button on the controller, so whenever I hit a door in your game, I have to mentally switch to the B button to do it, which feels counter-intuitive for a game of this type." If that makes sense

I used to work with a lot of people that were afraid to speak out because they'd be seen as troublesome, but I always tried to encourage them a well-thought critique isn't being an asshole, it's being helpful and the end state of the game and its success depends on everyone weighing in. (Forgive typos, it's late)

On the converse of this, devs also need to expose themselves to brutal critiques and then attempt to drill down to try and figure out what the problem is that's causing the player's frustration (that's part of a dev's responsibility). Past the bile, you need to recognize someone was frustrated or disappointed - try and figure out why.

You said in one interview that you don't always write lineraly. This reminded me of GRRM's argument about "gardeners and architects". He says gardeners know roughly where they want to go, but flesh out the story as they go along, while architects carefully design and outline the story and the plot beforehand. He never said it, but in some interviews I get the impression that he believes being a gardener is better for a story.

Ironically, his failure to anticipate problems with the middle of the story caused him to delay the end of his magnum opus for more than 10 years already.

Do you believe in this distinction? If so, how would you define your approach?

I'm a high-level architect for major story beats in the first month, but those beats are often the choice (gardener) moments. I do agree that sometimes making a game storyline too rigid prevents future opportunities for great content, and it can also make the player's experience restrictive, too. Ideally, I prefer to do critical path story touchstones, and then let other writers and area designers flesh out the material surrounding it to support it.

In two cases, you were effectively the Project Director, Lead Designer and Lead Writer at the same time, which means no one above you in the team's hierarchy. Still, at the end of the day, there's a story you want to tell and work very hard to put in the game.

How do you deal with so many aspects of the game's development at the same time without having the story suffer for it?

Let's say you're in the late development cycle. You decided to split the game in 5 major portions, but the 3rd ends up much shorter and/or below the quality of the rest. How would you handle that? Salvage and repair what you have, cut that part and try to connect parts 2 and 4 with a few changes, or rethink the whole section?

I would evaluate if the "shorter" portion is still good (longer isn't better), but if the quality is sub-par, I would likely cut it - players (including myself) are more likely to forgive a shorter, better experience than a longer, uneven one... and one could argue that in today's game space it's "lulls" in content that cause people to step away from the game and never revisit it. For example, there would have been areas I would have advocated cutting in F2 (including sections of my own areas) to improve the experience.

One quick question: I found this list of tips for PS:T in an archived version of the game's original website:

http://planescape.outshine.com/official.planescape-torment.org/oldnews/chris_1208.html

I've always assumed it's from you, but it seems to be listed under posts from the "Artists". Was that you or is that another Chris from the team?

If I had any doubts it was me, they were dispelled by #4 (running was my trumpet call).
Only other artist Chris, was Chris "Wu-Tang" Jones, who didn't write this - he's doing some other KS project now, I think?

Also, in another interview you said you were willing to write more stuff for D:OS2 if they wanted. Did that happen? Some people were speculating that you got your role expanded, since you're doing the media tour with Swen and all

Divinity: The agreement was story reviews (which I've done about 6+) and writing the origin story (background, not dialogue, but I think dialogue's on the table if we want).

"When will the interview be released?"

Chris said:
(I probably won't be able to get to it until Oct, too much to do with System Shock and other stuff, just warning you).

So it should take a couple of weeks, but it's happening. +M

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Have you seen any recent genius level, paradigm shifting innovations in the industry? The kind that might be big enough to reshape the next 5-10 years of gaming?

I ask this because I see hundreds of splinter projects experimenting with good ideas, but no one seems to be putting them together to make The Next Big Thing™.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Will we see him as a project lead/lead designer again in the near future? What are the chances of us getting another "Avellone game" at this point?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want to ask about Kreia. I remember playing as light-sided true Jedi always loyal to the code (with the exception of those two guys on Nar Shadda). And she said to my character in the end that 'you are not Jedi, at least not truly'. I wonder if it the same for dark-sided Sith and was intended (no matter what you do, you actions don't matter and Kreia will still troll you in the end).

Yeah, I also remembered one weird theory I had about Kreia, that she is not actually real and more like your dark alter ego you've awakened at Malachor - an actual wound in the Force. But this is an obvious fantasy of mine (it is implied in the game Kreia is real person and the wound in the Force is yourself).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
  • Who was his least favourite person at Obsidian?
  • Why did he leave Obsidian? (Keep repeating until you get an acceptable answer)
  • Does he think he's in danger of losing his focus unless he commits full-time to a project? He seems in danger of turning into a dilettante and drifting out of touch.
  • He was part-owner of Obsidian, but didn't seem to have the authority to get his ideas implemented. Is he finished with the idea of running his own development team or company and just happy to be project lead if the opportunity arises?
  • Given that he's mostly credited with bringing deep storylines and characters to games, has he thought of ditching the mechanics entirely and just becoming an author (novella contributions to kickstarters notwithstanding)? That would give him the freedom to write what he likes. Does he feel that games give him a suitable (and suitably large) audience for his work?
  • Given total freedom, what genre would he be most interested in pursuing? Does he feel that fantasy or sci-fi are limitations? Is that what he actually likes or does he write within those areas because that's what sells, at least regarding role playing games?
  • What work has he done that he's most proud of? What does he most regret? Did it change his nature?
  • Is he interested in game mechanics or are they simply a framework on which to hang a story? Does he think PS:T or KotoR2 would have worked better in another form?
  • Who would he like to work with if he was going to come up with a Big Idea for a game?
  • How much feedback does he like when it comes to development? Does he feel that kickstarters, with the audience so closely involved, intrude on his ideas? Does he feel any pressure to give the fans what they want?
  • Are there any beloved ancient RPGs that could do with a modern reboot (that he'd like to be involved in)?

Neanderthal

Arcane
Trias the Betrayer, are there any secrets to the character? Me an lads are starting up a 2nd ed Planescape game an one of ems got idea of playing Trias being cast down after facing his judgement in the heavens, just wondering if theres any details about him that are not covered in game.

Related: Does corpse of Ignus get sent back to Sigil along wi all other companions by Nameless/Transcendant at end of game? Got an idea of him being cast into Mortuary furnace an awakening as a villain for my group to face.

Can the Modron Cube item travel beyond Limbo? Thinking of having Nordom become a pirate captain travelling between planes, mechanical derring do an serving as an ally an transport for player characters. Like Crimson Permanent Assurance from Meaning of Life.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What would you recommend as the best way to ease a player into a setting?

Ooh, what would it take to get you and Neal Hallford working together?

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
If he could go back in time and tell one thing about the future to one developer, what would he do?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'd like to know what he thinks of Alpha Protocol now that there's MGS5:TPP that shows a million times superior action, stealth and infiltration gameplay, like is he ashamed of the primitive thing he did with this game? But of course Avellone doesn't play games anymore, he wouldn't know how great MGS5 is. That's a shame. Tell him he's missing out on new game design, on very important stuff. If he doesn't get up to speed, he'll be left behind.

I'd also like to know what he thinks of Dark Souls' environmental narrative. He once mentioned it, but never went into details. Was he impressed/shocked, how much did he like it? Sadly, I think he'll blurt out 1-2 sentences and won't go into detail, because he doesn't play new games... He probably played it 1 hour max.

Basically I have nothing to ask him, cause he doesn't play games anymore. How can you write for games and not play them? It's sad and decadent. Tell him that, at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has he played Torment: Tides of Numenera and what's his opinion?

What's the biggest difference between Obsidian and Larian in the way they make their rpgs?

Is opnening up an indie studio something he has thought about? Maybe getting an employment at a big studio. Lead a big project or something.

Which writers (or other positions he'd like to talk about) are currently some of the best in the industry.

Hypothetically, if he got to make a game, isometric, first person or third person.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing as he has done free (or close-to free) work for indie devs previously, i.e. FTL: Advanced Edition, how would he respond if asked to write for esteemed indie developer and SirTech veteran, Cleveland Blakemore on a game project?

What are some of the possible game studio names that he has shortlisted and is currently considering? And what type of studio name suffix does he prefer: Entertainment, Interactive, Games, Inc., Digital, Arts, Play, Software, Studio, Studios or ...?

What is his policy on dating fans? Nah-ah or uh-huh?

What would he say is his greatest blind-spot (or weakness) when it comes to game development (/vision) and which professional colleagues would he say best counter-balances that or (those) blind-spot(s)?

Pick a villain: Josh Sawyer, Brother None, Infinitron, Herve Caen, Bethesda, Robert Sirotek, JCD, Video Game Attorney Mr. Ryan Morrison, RPG Watch, consoles, Brian Fargo, VR or strong independent women?

How motivated would he be to work on a strategy game or in general, a type of game where focus is shifted more heavily towards gameplay/mechanics than narrative?

Does he have any good/funny/whatever ideas for taglines for future Torment (spiritual) successors?

Why does he think CRPGs haven't drawn on literary fiction as a source or inspiration to a greater extent? Is it too difficult to convincingly write outside RPGs' genre-fiction and pulp roots to legitimize the effort?

Who does he think are game writing's unsung heroes?

Isn't it great working on modern day settings, so you can fill the game with your favourite pop culture references without it feeling out-of-whack with the game's setting?

Did he have a happy birthday?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Does he regret that you are unable to totally avoid combat in Fallout 2?

EDIT: On a more serious note, would he consider writing for a Star Wars game that was basically a 'typical' Star Wars type adventure rather than what KotOR2 was?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd like to know what he thinks of Alpha Protocol now that there's MGS5:TPP that shows a million times superior action, stealth and infiltration gameplay, like is he ashamed of the primitive thing he did with this game? But of course Avellone doesn't play games anymore, he wouldn't know how great MGS5 is. That's a shame. Tell him he's missing out on new game design, on very important stuff. If he doesn't get up to speed, he'll be left behind.

Alpha Protocol didn't start out as a stealth game, and MGSV had a significantly higher budget, wasn't a RPG, and still shipped with an obviously-truncated epilogue. :M

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Alpha Protocol didn't start out as a stealth game, and MGSV had a significantly higher budget, wasn't a RPG, and still shipped with an obviously-truncated epilogue. :M
The fight/stealth/infiltration mechanics MGS5 has are superior to an incredible level. Budget, RPG status, how Konami handled what is beyond the subject.

For example, if Alpha Protocol or even VTMB had these mechanics, something they both could've had, as it's simply a matter of game design, not budget or anything else, those games would've gained so much, they would've been on an entirely new level.

In that regard, Avellone did a poor job just this once in his career. He designed badly. What I'd like is for him to play MGS5 and learn a few things about himself in the process.

:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For example, if Alpha Protocol or even VTMB had these mechanics, something they both could've had, as it's simply a matter of game design, not budget or anything else, those games would've gained so much, they would've been on an entirely new level.

Disagree. All projects have their priorities.

In that regard, Avellone did a poor job just this once in his career. He designed badly. What I'd like is for him to play MGS5 and learn a few things about himself in the process.

He took over as lead designer, and there's nothing he could have done to make better stealth. All the levels had been blocked out after either they or Sega demanded stealth gameplay needed to be included. Originally it was going to be Mass Effect without a party.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you missed a :M or :M:M

Didn't he enter in mid-production and try to "salvage" the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom