Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remind me, is this game still tied to online only foolishness? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Also, this new mission apparently takes place in an all hostile environment, meaning your default suit is useless unless you plan to LARP Sam Fisher.

I can't say that makes me terribly excited. It's like a throwback to Absolution, though for all I know the level design could be really good. With Bangkok being such a downer, I'm starting to suspect this game is heavily front loaded, though.

Out of the existing 5 proper missions, two (Paris and Marrakesh) have been good, while one (Bangkok) has been bad and one (Italy) excellent. If this fifth one turns out to be a dud the game is mediocre. They'd better include some prime sniper spots and creative opportunities to outweigh the fact that this new level doesn't play to the strength of the Hitman series, which, imho, is 'the player infiltrates civilian areas where he can blend in rather than sneak around' and not 'the player controls some stealthy NSA agent who's inexplicably wearing a suit and tie'.

Gotta get that silent assassin suit only sniper challenge, bro.

It's no biggie that you can't use suit, since I mostly complete stealth first. Whatevs. I'm pretty sure you can steal disguises.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
They'd better include some prime sniper spots and creative opportunities to outweigh the fact that this new level doesn't play to the strength of the Hitman series, which, imho, is 'the player infiltrates civilian areas where he can blend in rather than sneak around' and not 'the player controls some stealthy NSA agent who's inexplicably wearing a suit and tie'.
Well, the first three games did have plenty of missions where you had to infiltrate a military base or some other hostile location. Those probably weren't everyone's favorite missions, but Blood Money is really the only game in the series which doesn't have that kind of stuff.

SoupNazi

So I was stuck at home for a week with an unplanned vacation (read: exhaustion apparently) and wanted something easy and non-complex to spend time with. Heard good things about the new Hitman...

It actually really IS good. Like, Blood Money levels of good - especially the mission in Sapienza, as others have mentioned. Reminded me of some of the best stuff from the previous games (notably, A Vintage Year, just FAR bigger). I disagree with the criticism of Bangkok here - reminded me of the Budapest Spa Hotel from Hitman: 47 and Contracts, very complex. Paris is a lot like the one in the opera house in Blood Money, also excellent stuff. Colorado is perhaps a bit weaker, but it reminded me of the jungle missions in Hitman: 47, which were a nice change of pace and I didn't actually mind it all that much. Plus, once you get your first disguise, it's basically almost like any other mission, it's just not in a civilian environment. Supposedly it's also a throwback to some Absolution missions, just done better (I wouldn't know, I uninstalled that POS after like the 4th level).

Lots and lots of throwbacks to the older games, in fact in many aspects it's exactly what me and a lot of fans I know have been asking for - Blood Money, but bigger and better. And I would say it's exactly that. I can see myself replaying this over and over, even many years in the future - just like I have been doing with Blood Money for the last X years. The addition of the challenges etc is exactly what I have been doing with BM by myself, for myself - kill everyone with a thrown weapon, kill a specific non-target person on the map in a specific way, etc... and now it's incorporated into the game and encouraged.

I'm actually absolutely happy with purchasing this, and it might be the first time that has happened since either Deus Ex: HR (didn't happen with MD, I thought I didn't get enough value for the amount of money even though it's a good game) or Dishonored when it comes to mainstream games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just got the game and I agree with SoupNazi it is great fun. The AI is really fun to play around with. When I first tried it back when the first demo episode was released it ran like shit, but run fairly well now. Anyway, got a question. Those elusive shadows. Are those hits permanently removed content from a singleplayer game? I don't get it. Seems I missed out on a lot because I got the game late.

Edit:

Made a short video. I love how things in the game just spirals out of control. In this case, one guy was occupying the toilet I wanted to use for an assassination. One murder leads to twenty.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Just got the game and I agree with SoupNazi it is great fun. The AI is really fun to play around with. When I first tried it back when the first demo episode was released it ran like shit, but run fairly well now. Anyway, got a question. Those elusive shadows. Are those hits permanently removed content from a singleplayer game? I don't get it. Seems I missed out on a lot because I got the game late.

Yep that makes two of us missing out. Supposedly there will be more added but it's one of the incentives for early buyers much like the fact that those who bought the complete package (even though it's not yet complete) already got all the bonus missions (completely new, non-story but massively changed missions in the same areas). I only played the Sapienza once so far but it turns the main square into a movie set and gives a whole new narrative and stuff to play around with. Great additions and I really like the idea - they could be doing this forever as far as I am concerned. But those who are buying it episodically don't get the bonus missions - they will get them later.

Elusive targets, however, is permanently locked off yes.

Ivan

Arcane
maxresdefault.jpg

3111331-4423286399-41989.jpg

58fb4dc3709828f6bbca0fb888d5b38de0432d57.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
So this is actually p. good, huh? Was extremely skeptical after Absoluteshit and the general idiocracy that was game sequels/reboots last generation.

However, can you turn button prompts off? I hate that shit and they are in every AAA game now. I don't need to be reminded what button opens doors or picks up bodies for the 100th time

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
How graphic are the murder animations in Absolution? The strangling for example. Asking for a friend.

Dreed

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would like to play this but I hate episodic stuff. I will wait for it to all be batched together next year. I'm gonna replay Blood Money in the meantime. I couldn't get into Absolution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom