Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
inXile would justify it by saying that most players wouldn't even consider doing those things if they didn't tell them they could do it.

I doubt they added this based on some assumption, their playtests must show that their blind play testers seriously never bothered experimenting with anything.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
When a Crisis encounter starts, we now display a small panel on the side of the screen to signal your main objective and some optional possibilities. We won't tell you every route available to resolve an encounter, so there will still be things to discover and experiment with, but this will serve as a reminder in case you aren't sure what your goal is. If you're the type that doesn't want any assistance at all, you can simply hide this popup at any time by clicking the arrow button on it.

3f4ad46ab7a75955a41bc16758a072ca_original.jpg

:what:

Holy shitfuck. Yes please. Add highlights to the objects mentioned on the list so I won't get lost. Maybe also auto-resolve.

indeed, I won't mind if this is optional. But what the fuck happened? I am playing Sanitarium on my mobile device and I can't believe how great it was when you had to think about were to use an object in order to proceed. Why does devs treat players like retards?

Neanderthal

Arcane
inXile would justify it by saying that most players wouldn't even consider doing those things if they didn't tell them they could do it.

I doubt they added this based on some assumption, their playtests must show that their blind play testers seriously never bothered experimenting with anything.

Unlike playtesters to be droolin fuckin retards. Oh wait no it int.

Prime Junta

(Also gee whiz thanks but no, I won't be taking advantage of my extra-speshul offer to participate in your WL3 Fig campaign. Goddamn this fucking week to hell, first the Kerbal dev team quits, now this.)

:0-13:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why does devs treat players like retards?

Because they are.

Josh Sawyer said:
Some players really do play as hard as they say they will. They stoically accept the consequences of companion death, of a dialogue node they carelessly picked 8 hours ago, of an Ironman combat that is going down the drain. For those players, the ability to turn off the "in case you missed it..." features is important. I get that and would like to support it as much as we can.

But again, just to be clear, a lot of actual players actually need these things. I'm not saying this because players come up to me and say, "Josh, I need this." I'm saying this because I'll talk to a tester (volunteer or pro) with a ton of RPG experience and later watch him or her play remotely. Or I'll pop open a Let's Play on YouTube from an enthusiastic player and watch how things turn out. Sometimes they ace it, sometimes they don't. Either way, what I see on that monitor doesn't lie.

Objectives like "use the turret or purple energy" and "talk to this guy with different companions" sound like they'll make the Crisis easier. Who needs that the most? The bad players, who would never think to perform those actions without explicitly being told to do so.

SniperHF

Arcane
indeed, I won't mind if this is optional. But what the fuck happened? I am playing Sanitarium on my mobile device and I can't believe how great it was when you had to think about were to use an object in order to proceed. Why does devs treat players like retards?

The worst part is, just playing through the combat in retard mode was totally possible without telling the player about all the slightly hidden ways you can change the battle. All you had to do was just fight. This list is more like "Do this to be awesome this way or that way" :decline:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They made optional content that made the crises easier for people who were willing to explore and experiment, and then they decided to point the player towards these options by default. It's the equivalent of a Deus Ex game where the vents and password notes are highlighted with quest markers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's the equivalent of a Deus Ex game where the vents and password notes are highlighted with quest markers.

Well, it's not like you're that far off when it came to what they did with object highlights as far as getting the players' attention in HR. Then they made it optional.

41.jpg

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Then they made it optional.

There lies the key. No matter what crap you put in your game, make sure it's optional and the player will praise it at best and won't mind at worst. It gets tedious though when you have to answer questions like "why would you put a story mode in a combat-focused game ?" but nobody asks these anymore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then they made it optional.

There lies the key. No matter what crap you put in your game, make sure it's optional and the player will praise it at best and won't mind at worst. It gets tedious though when you have to answer questions like "why would you put a story mode in a combat-focused game ?" but nobody asks these anymore.
The bad part is when the game is designed in a way that you basicaly have to use the feature unless you want to waste your time and get frustrated.

Like when the apologists say that it is OK to have quest markers in the game because you can turn them off. No shit Sherlock, but the missions are designed around the quest markers and you can't find shit without them because the game doesn't give you enough hints to where to look.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Questions:

Will i have to click on every single tutorial popup again and again while trying desperately not to read any of it in the process? Because that would be pretty fucking moronic.

Also, will they even bother to provide hints how to solve those crisises or will they just assume i read their shit popup tutorial and leave me completely in the dark if i dont use it?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Let's hope we get an official answer on the possibilities of optional customizability of the UI. It would make errrybody happy, and it's probably not hard to implement.

Spread the message !

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, it's not like you're that far off when it came to what they did with object highlights as far as getting the players' attention in HR. Then they made it optional.

With all the clutter, object highlighting is necessary. :M

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Someone should dig up quotes from old Sea/BNone reviews where they criticise this type of condescending hand-holding and shove it up their faces.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone should dig up quotes from old Sea/BNone reviews where they criticise this type of condescending hand-holding and shove it up their faces.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...designer-in-a-big-studio-like-bioware.111083/

But sometimes when working on a big team where creative decisions happen above you, you might think a vision “sucks,” he said. All is not lost in this case, and one can still attain a passion for a vision and a project that they don’t initially agree with. But it takes effort:
  • Have empathy for the vision, its champion and the intended audience.
  • Practice active listening (understand where they’re coming from.)
  • Immerse yourself in the experiences most similar to the vision (play all your studio’s games, and play games, read books, and watch movies that align closely to the vision.)
In other words, he said, try to be positive and try to find ways to get yourself to love it.

duanth123

Arcane

http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/104431-deus-ex-human-revolution-review/page-3.html

While Deus Ex was founded on the notions of freeform gameplay, strong character development, and a genuine attempt to create a game out of the best parts of many divergent genres, Human Revolution finds itself in an interesting grey area, not just between the console and PC audiences as Invisible War did, but also between the old and new generation of gaming. Simply put, it's both a nostalgia trip and a product of its time, and, if there is any strong critique against the game, it's going to be leveled from one of those two sides. Where Human Revolution most deviates from the tradition of the series is in a number of additions which have, no doubt, been made as a result not so much of any real gameplay need, but because of the time at which it's been released. These changes are, overall, a mixed bag, and while not inherently bad, definitely warrant some discussion.

The most obvious changes are those that have been made to the combat. In a thoughtful move, Human Revolution has been transformed into a pseudo-tactical shooter, at least as far as gunplay is concerned - and everyone knows that combat was one of the weakest aspects of Deus Ex, so the attempts to overhaul gunplay are welcome. The main way this has been accomplished is in the addition of a cover system /QUOTE]

Thankfully, though, the cover system is never forced on you, and the game can be played as a straightforward first-person experience as well, so if you have a terminal hatred of such mechanics, you can simply ignore the feature and not miss out on anything

On top of the cover system, and what significantly changes combat over the original Deus Ex, is the addition of a regenerating health system. A lot has been made of this, but in practice, I actually didn't find this to be too much of a problem.

While I suspect many fans will lament the loss of medkits and the need to heal individual body parts, nothing about the game's design led me to feel such an old-school option would have significantly improved the game

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, sea was always a dumb popamoler as far as I can tell.

The Oberführer on the other hand pretended to be old-school for a while. Hell, he might still not agree with these things, but can't say it, a deep hatred burning inside of him, waiting to be released.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The TToN alpha isn't really "old-school" anyway, unless the lack of a quest compass and a yet-to-be-determined amount of long term c&c are enough to qualify.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom