Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Camelot Unchained - Mounting DAoC's corpse or legitimate project?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Camelot Unchained isn't going to have any PVE, so that should give more time and budget towards the PVP.

I went through all the races and classes and I'm surprisingly leaning towards Hibernia (<- joke) this time around. They actually are capturing the creepy Seelie/Unseelie vibe this time around. On the other hand, the Albions seem like a bunch of furries, and the Midgard don't have Germanic elves anymore.

For example, the Black Rider sounds very interesting in theme (Note I actually read the class pages thoroughly so my opinion isn't just superficial):

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/realms/arthurians/black-rider/

Black-Rider_Disembodied-Head.png

Disembodied Head (Primary)

The head of the user separates from their body, and can be used as a projectile and point of origin for ability effects. The head will automatically return to the user if they move to its location on the ground, or if they travel too far from it. If the head is returned by moving too far away, its cooldown time is greatly increased.

Black-Rider_Cadaverous-Consumption.png

Cadaverous Consumption (Secondary)
Projects the user’s head from its current position at a hostile target, gaining power from corpses it passes by. Deals death damage on striking the target and falls to the ground, creating an aura which applies a lingering death debuff that deals death damage over time to nearby enemies. If this attack kills an enemy, it has no cooldown time and requires no activation cost on subsequent activation, within a brief duration.

Black-Rider_Horrendous-Scream.png

Horrendous Scream (Secondary)
The user’s head emits a scream that increases the panic rating of nearby enemies and applies a death debuff to them that greatly reduces their movement speed for a brief duration. If the user’s head was attached to their body, this debuff also increases the amount of damage affected targets take from death attacks for its duration.

---

Edit: That being said, I might also play a Viking Mjolnir so I can rampage around like a Thane.

Edit 2: Just realized that it's almost like the Midgard exchanged races with the Albion. In general, it's kinda weird. I found that in DAoC, Hibernia had the most boring "flavor" whereas Midgard races/classes were more interesting. But this time around, the Tuatha are more interesting. Perhaps it's because they're actually drawing from Celtic mythology (which is rather unsettling) instead of superficially doing it like in DAoC.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I'm just not really interested in the building tbh, I was interested in the pvp combat capabilities
There's a lot of info in the "BSC Design Docs" sub-menu. Well, I didn't read up on the RvR macro-scale stuff, but it seemed to describe all the combat/magic mechanics sufficiently.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Some notes from when I was looking around the other day:

---

"Health" system:
Two days to lose "health"/die:
  • Blood loss. I think this is like HP - lose all your blood, you die.Also I think all magic consumes blood, so casting magic consumes HP.
  • Wounds. There is locational damage, which I think you guys probably know. But you can also die from 5 torso wounds.
I think that's rather neat. We've talked on the Codex about HP and Wound systems as if they were mutually exclusive, but it makes sense that you can have both.

One source is here, I forget where I read about locational damage and magic using blood and stuff: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/evening-update-friday-september-18th-2015/

---

Magic is based on combining "components", those components being "Runes." You can combine them how you want to create a "custom" spell, I think. These can be prepared in spellbooks, but you may also be able to "create" a spell on-the-fly during combat, in the same manner of combining components.

For Physical combat, they decided to do things similarly to the magic system, in that you combine "components" to create a certain type of attack (or defense, even?).

Four basic types of ability components
  • Primary – The thing that the player wants the ability to use, such as a sword
  • Secondary – The way in which a player wants to use the primary component. For example, if the PC was a sword, an SC could be a slash. Sword + Slash = Sword slash attack
  • Modifiers – Optional add-ons, which a player can use to further tweak their abilities to suit a desired playstyle. These are the largest set of components, and cover things such as adding range to an attack, width to an AOE attack, or directing an attack to a specific body area
  • Modal Components – These change the state of the character in some way, such as an offensive or defensive stance

I only described the very basic mechanics here. Source is the main website.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Glad they made it. I hope the game is a success and inspires diversity in the market.... or what would really happen is everyone cloning it.
I know this is an old post, but I think they're planning on making this a niche MMO.

Mark Jacobs said:
I choose to make an RvR-focused game that even if successful has no chance of threatening Dark Age of Camelot’s peak subs (250k), let alone something much larger like EQ1.
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/foun...even-if-fortune-doesnt-always-favor-the-bold/

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Browsing the site just out of personal hype:

Halfway Through August - Newsletter said:
  1. Added a way to set up abilities that fire off “subskills” based on tags. An example of this would be an ability that shoots a fireball with “fire, projectile” tags, and an iceball with “ice, projectile” tags. We can have these do different things, but more importantly, we can really easily make a buff that adds knockback to all of your projectiles, and another one that adds explosions to all of your fire abilities! – So that’s neat!
  1. Abilities can now target body parts using the new ability system. If you’d like to test this out, you can use the Broad Cleave ability (from the Black Knight, although for testing purposes, anyone can use it right now) to take out your opponent’s legs. This is also shown on the updated player health UI.

JamesGoblin

Literate
Camelot Unchained isn't going to have any PVE, so that should give more time and budget towards the PVP.

<snippety snip>
It's not even going to have any quests. UC is making me :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: all over the room. I hope they can deliver.

Speaking of PvE, here's CU Wiki chapter "PvE in Camelot Unchained" - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained Depending on your definitions, you can conclude that it either has loads of PvE, or none.

Edit: I almost forgot! A little comparison between Camelot and Crowfall, with some new(ish) alpha test footage:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

<snippety snip>
It's not even going to have any quests. UC is making me :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: all over the room. I hope they can deliver.

Speaking of PvE, here's CU Wiki chapter "PvE in Camelot Unchained" - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained Depending on your definitions, you can conclude that it either has loads of PvE, or none.
PVP competition over NPC resources is not PVE. Unless you think Darkness Falls is PVE. lol.

JamesGoblin

Literate
Creator of Shadowbane, so Shadowbane successor, huh? Interesting.

I saw a Crowfall intro thread on Quarter To Three named "You’ve got your SWG crafting in my Shadowbane" - namely, Raph Koster is working on crafting and social structures. Besides that, the game has action combat, physics/collision detection (hmm...did Shadowbane have collision?) and couple quite unusual features.

JamesGoblin

Literate
While waiting on beta (early 2017, it seems), here's couple new screenshots:

a63579ab-0c09-463a-aba5-37dd600fa8d6.jpg

6d76b6e3-a35e-4b9b-83ac-80caf8d96409.jpg

96583c89-36e9-43fc-9ef0-1c29c80eec91.jpg

378102cc-d1f6-4dc3-8c26-f7b15f326be1.jpg

...and, for art lovers, an Arthurian sword "Lady of the Lake":

0c0a011b-bfa4-455f-9380-8e9db8a7bd5d.jpg

5ac01eac-183a-4be6-abc6-321bcff35253.jpg

wyork

Novice
Too bad the scenery got the "more color" treatment; i was quite happy with the desaturated / natural vibe from older screenshots.

Hiding inside trees was the best and a top Cleric strat.

Those screenshots remind me of Llyn Barfog. I remember when Mythic spontaneously added a bunch of bosses to that zone, which I don't believe were even put in the patch notes. Some of the top guilds on the server started fighting over those bosses and camping spawn points. Watching other groups wipe to Afanc or Wrath of Mordred and then stealing the final kill shot was good fun.

Still, looks like Albion to me. I wonder if they're developing Albion first again. I remember Mythic stating in some interview that Albion was designed first and considered the 'master realm'. Explained why when too many players where in the Alb frontier at once, the servers would crash completely instead of just a single zone. Lots off butthurt mids and hibs complained about the 'master realm' after that.p

JamesGoblin

Literate
I sincerely hope they don't go overboard with graphical finesse, because that will kill large battles.

Their engine is already able to support four-digit numbers (!) in small area, so they have lots of space for that I guess.

Too bad the scenery got the "more color" treatment; i was quite happy with the desaturated / natural vibe from older screenshots.

If I understood it right - these pics are only showing graphical engineer(s) experimenting with recent graphical update, next step (after they got it where they want) is to give that new tool to artists. For what it's worth, pics are already two months old and the game is still in alpha.

Hiding inside trees was the best and a top Cleric strat.

Those screenshots remind me of Llyn Barfog. I remember when Mythic spontaneously added a bunch of bosses to that zone, which I don't believe were even put in the patch notes. Some of the top guilds on the server started fighting over those bosses and camping spawn points. Watching other groups wipe to Afanc or Wrath of Mordred and then stealing the final kill shot was good fun.

Still, looks like Albion to me. I wonder if they're developing Albion first again. I remember Mythic stating in some interview that Albion was designed first and considered the 'master realm'. Explained why when too many players where in the Alb frontier at once, the servers would crash completely instead of just a single zone. Lots off butthurt mids and hibs complained about the 'master realm' after that.p

Yes, that knight is Arthurian tho rumor is that Mark's favorite are Tuatha Dé Danann (Mark Jacobs, the CEO).

JamesGoblin

Literate
A couple more Alpha pics, starting with Arthurian knight vs Viking warrior (they updated the skies & stars a bit, so this rendezvous is happening at the break of dawn):

click

An ordinary Tuatha de Danann axe:

click

And some player made buildings, brick by brick. Castle:

18b2ab00-05ec-4aac-b701-0026224efce4.jpg

...and a church (far from ideal, but it's slowly improving):

cube_hdr_04_1200.jpg

hivemind

game looks cool but am kinda worried about their ability to keep all the classes balanced tbqh

JamesGoblin

Literate
game looks cool but am kinda worried about their ability to keep all the classes balanced tbqh
No need to be worried, balancing is impossible. They won't even try to balance 33 classes (as hinted - more in the future, likely much more) one on one, or anything resembling that.

What they are trying to do is to balance three Realms (Arthurians, Tuatha de Danann, Vikings) to remain competitive against each other, if possible in rock-paper-scissors manner. And of course, they will fail miserably, and then they'll rebalance, and there will be forum drama and rage quits, and then they'll rebalance again, and then there'll be some more drama, and then they'll keep on doing that forever... as always :)

Didn't know much about either game, but Camelot looks up my alley (mechanics wise), the architecture is atrocious though both in the vid and on them screens. Hope they sort this shit out eventually, I know it's pre-alpha-beta-whatever, but anyway.

JamesGoblin

Literate
Didn't know much about either game, but Camelot looks up my alley (mechanics wise), the architecture is atrocious though both in the vid and on them screens. Hope they sort this shit out eventually, I know it's pre-alpha-beta-whatever, but anyway.

The architecture won't change dramatically - there'll be lots of small improvements, but it will still have that...light Minecraft touch. Point being, what you see here are dynamical 3D objects with physics and mass, buildable by players in 100% free form (i.e. virtually brick by brick, that is voxel by voxel), destructable, upgradeable, customizable... one can (that is, will be able to) even pick them apart and transport elsewhere or use resources to build something else, a bridge, a road - or enemies can do the same if you build in PvP territory.

In comparison, MMO buildings so far are, basically, fancy 3D wallpapers, at best with some limited pre-made customization.

Makes sense, however I hope there will be some sort of pre-existing things (aside from the mega dungeon thingy), cities, villages that sort of nonsense. With buildings made by hand that won't look like they were thrown together in a Blender on a coffee break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom