Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

True to Civ fashion, the game is still relatively simple compared to some of the 4Xs out therem.

2. AI may be a massive step up but better/=good. Par for the course with Civ unfortunately (and really TBS games in general) but still a bit of a drag.

I guess we're living in different worlds, Civ has always been one of the most complex strategy games out there.

up to civ4.
i'd like to know what all the "disagree" below are about. do you mean that civ5 is the pinnacle of complexity in civ games?

I think the disagrees are because people thought you meant "up to civ4" as saying "Civ 4 is when the series became simple," not "Civ 5 is when the series became simple." Considering Civ 4 is objectively the most complex Civ game, I could see that raising a few eyebrows. Though I did meet a guy once who swore up and down that Civ 3 was more complex than Civ 4 because it had more options for micromanaging the tiles that you work? But it doesn't.

well, "up to civ4" not "until civ4". i thought grammar was on my side :V

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have to say that it is easier than ever. Mostly because unlike CiV you dont have any problems getting up a big early army. Money is no longer a problem and with the right civics you can quickly build one. and when you can beat the AI with a few archers, then you sure can do that with many archers. In my first game I held up the enemy army with one archer while shifting over more to face it. all you really need to do is damage the one closest to you and you might hold them up forever.

I spent 6+ hours playing my 1st game with Romans on 2nd highest difficulty. AI cheats like crazy and was better in culture and tech from turn 1. But for whatever reason keeps spamming lower tech units and I beat them by spamming better tech units and destroying them.

they spam those because the AI dont upgrade units. They get the better ones after you defeated those first.
It is worse than that, Egypt kept making their unique chariot while I had Cannons, Knights and others. And it kept buying and spamming them. And it did get me to back off mostly because I had to transfer my reinforcements over water, and also because he had way more money than a 3 city civ should. And the game said they were ahead in technology and culture than me.
And the worst part, Cleopatra kept telling me how my military is weak and pathetic before and after that war lol (although she gave me very good terms so I stop attacking).
Everything in the game is borked.

Later I was in war with Russia that was 1 and half era of technology and culture ahead of me but it basically made no troops. I rolled it easily with Tanks, Battleships and Artillery. It looked like 1st year WWII and I was the Nazi.. which is fitting since I switched my government to Fascism for that war :D

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't listened to all music pieces carefully, but two themes have whats sounds like samplings of other songs. Egypt have a bit that sound just like "el condor pasa" by simon and garfunkel. Yet it is stranger still with Germany as the intro to their song is an exact copy of a famous older Swedish song called "jag kan ro utan åror" by Ted Gerdestad. I just kept on singing that song when playing Germany. Considering that someone else said the main theme seemed to have parts from other songs, you might wonder.

The music pieces for each Civ are based on real songs from each country. Germany's song that you mention is actually based on a pretty famous folk German song named "Ich hab die nacht geträumet".

Russia's is based on Kalinka(awesomeness) and so on

Vival

Augur
Holy shit the AI is so bad it's downright comical. So i started out as Germany on king difficulty. When my capital was at size 3, i had only a slinger defending it and i got visited by a bunch of barbarians. They parked a horseman and a slinger right next to my city and one more slinger and a warrior were on their way. I thought that was it for sure but nope, they just stood there and took it in the ass from my slinger, didn't pillage, didn't choose a rally point away from the city, nothing.

Then some time later i had three measly defended cities when my neighbors Arabia and Kongo both declared war out of the blue. Not a bad move since i was a juicy target for their much stronger military. So i prepared to get culturally enriched but again nothing happend, they didn't even visit me with a single unit. After some time Saladin wants peace and offers me gold on top. I see he's got a great work in his basement, "the tooth of the prophet" and i demand that as well and he happily hands it over the fucking retard! The Kang of Kongo came right after that with a white peace offer and that concluded the whole damn war where i should have been a massive underdog but instead gained something without a single fight. What the fuck! I think the AI in this might be rivalling that old 4x game Ascendancy with its nonexsistent AI.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Ran into a really annoying bug, my archaeologist just disappears when I excavate something.

This was in preview videos. Theory is archaeologists have limited uses but the UI doesn't tell you that.
I do wish things were better explained in the civilopedia, but here's how archaeologists work:
Building an archaeologist requires an archaeological museum. The archaeologist is tied to this museum and will disappear once that museum is full of artifacts. You can't move an artifact from a museum that isn't full, so you can't just have one guy fill up all of them. I hope this helps.

My question is how does border growth work? Is it still base on culture? Is there any way to see how close you are to popping another tile?

kris

Arcane
Holy shit the AI is so bad it's downright comical. So i started out as Germany on king difficulty. When my capital was at size 3, i had only a slinger defending it and i got visited by a bunch of barbarians. They parked a horseman and a slinger right next to my city and one more slinger and a warrior were on their way. I thought that was it for sure but nope, they just stood there and took it in the ass from my slinger, didn't pillage, didn't choose a rally point away from the city, nothing.

Then some time later i had three measly defended cities when my neighbors Arabia and Kongo both declared war out of the blue. Not a bad move since i was a juicy target for their much stronger military. So i prepared to get culturally enriched but again nothing happend, they didn't even visit me with a single unit. After some time Saladin wants peace and offers me gold on top. I see he's got a great work in his basement, "the tooth of the prophet" and i demand that as well and he happily hands it over the fucking retard! The Kang of Kongo came right after that with a white peace offer and that concluded the whole damn war where i should have been a massive underdog but instead gained something without a single fight. What the fuck! I think the AI in this might be rivalling that old 4x game Ascendancy with its nonexsistent AI.

The AI shouldn't punish the player, it should give you gifts. Civ6 is your safe space.

Vival

Augur

The AI shouldn't punish the player, it should give you gifts. Civ6 is your safe space.

I'm down with what feels like the bubonic plague and played this to dull the suffering. Maybe the game has some sort of retard detection routine running in the background and dicided i've got down's syndrome and adjusted the Ai accordingly. Food for thought!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In other news, I just tried loading a save (tiny map, only played a few turns). That was the longest loading time I've witnessed on any game, any PC, ever. Lol, yeah, fuck this game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Well the truth is probably lying somewhere 2/3 of the distance between here and there.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
well, "up to civ4" not "until civ4". i thought grammar was on my side :V

The grammar's not wrong, just ambiguous. "Up to" can be interpreted either way. But we're talking about a language where a "lawnmower" can be both a machine that cuts grass and the person that uses the machine, so I wouldn't sweat it.

fair enough.

so let me try again: civ1-4 were aiming at complexity. civ5 and 6 are following revolutions instead.

edit: i'm scared o_O i went to pcgamer to have a laugh at all the circlejerking and instead users are bashing the game. of course it got 93% but people are saying it's crap and even explaining why. small signs of incline. small. but incline.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Civ6 is complex enough. But it's not the deep kind of complexity. It's opposite to "easy to learn, hard to master" - you can master the game well before you learn all the messy (edit: and badly documented) rules.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
So let me recap my cursory glances over posts, reviews and screens: noninformative-clusterfuck UI, horrible AI, comic-art design, bad optimization, abstract design choices which make no sense again (civ5) ........... and top it off, fucking 60€. Lol no.

After playing Civ 6 all wekend, I played Civ 4 BTS today at work on a shitty laptop with integrated graphics.

Game loads 5x faster and plays 10x quicker than Civ 6 does on my current-year main rig. Doesn't look bad either. Worker automation! A proper city interface! Moving units WITH THE FUCKING KEYPAD!

I do like the eureka boosts for tech from Civ 6, though. I'll miss that.

rezaf

Cipher
Whoever thought it was such a grand idea to make building districts and wonders so fiddly? I have almost a screenful of wonders I can't build in any city - or I just don't want to, because most are quite lacking.
I can only build this adjacent to a mountain next to a river and an entertainment disctrict which borders a commercial district on a plot that's grassland but used to be a jungle where once a barbarian unit was defeated by a spearman in pale moonlight after a virgin maiden has been sacrificed to the dark gods, all that for +2 great artist points and an extra artifact slot? Lemme ponder on this some more...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom