Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For Sacred, what is your character?

The Pope

Novice
I don't have the game yet, but I think that a ranged Wood Elf on a horse could kick some ass.

Or I could go Dark Elf, I've always loved assassin-like characters.

Seraphim also looks interesting though. :?

Which to pick, which to pick?

Malak

Liturgist
It would be pointless to do ranged gladiator or vampiress, none of their skills help. They'd be incredibly weak.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I'm currently playing a Gladiator, focusing on combat gloves/unarmed and a Wood Elf. I must say that I find the Gladiator more fun, although the Wood Elf's ability to use pretty much all her skills from horseback is pretty attractive. Still, it seems like I hardly use anything but Explosive Arrow, so it gets a bit dull as well.

Malak

Liturgist
Well I finally decided I couldn't stand playing the seraphim anymore. The problem is I don't get trading until lvl 50. So I almost never get new gear for her because the merchants sell shit to me. So I'm going to stick to battle mage and wood elf because they get trading early on. It helps a ton. And this time I'll make the battle mage right.

Malak

Liturgist
According to others, it helps a ton. According to my battlemage with lvl 17 trading, it doesn't do shit. He never saw anything good in the shops, the quality never changed.

My gladiator doesn't have trading and he finds cool shit all the time. Pisses me off.

Peacedog

Novice
With trading of over 10, my battlemage sees lots of multi-socket items. she also sees items with more powerful abilities. EX: str+12 on a belt instead of up to +6 or so. Trade is worth it. I see 2 socket items fairly regularly (criticla for a Battlemage), but my level 32ish gladiator doesn't see then in stores that often.

Sometimes, you need to do some shop scumming (there is a great place to do it in Braverock) - but I don't mind.

Malak

Liturgist
I see +20 to a stat on items with my gladiator, that has nothing to do with trade. The belt I have on my gladiator is better than ANYTHING my BM ever saw. Trade didn't do crap for me but lower prices.

Oh, and my gladiator finds 3 socket items already too, I expect to start seeing 4 sockets in the next 10 lvls. Still 20 lvls from getting the trade skill of course.

Peacedog

Novice
I see +20 to a stat on items with my gladiator, that has nothing to do with trade.

I'll take my chances with what the manual says, and the fact that a Battle mage when in the teens was seeing much better items on a consistent basis than a gladiator in the 30s. Items sold are definately a partial function of character level.

Trade has had a big impact for me. You still need to make an effort to shop for items, but there has been no comparison between what the gladiator has seen and what the battle mage has seen.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Dunno about "sucked" but based on thie comments in this thread, Sacred is clearly a game that puts the " 'role' back in rpg." Comparisons of most effective uber-builds generally speaks well for the depth of story and non-linearity of a game.

Before I wax too cynical, I suppose I should ask if the game actually touts itself as an RPG, or does it purport to be an action game w/ RPG elements a la Diablo 2?

Malak

Liturgist
Peacedog said:
I'll take my chances with what the manual says, and the fact that a Battle mage when in the teens was seeing much better items on a consistent basis than a gladiator in the 30s. Items sold are definately a partial function of character level.

Trade has had a big impact for me. You still need to make an effort to shop for items, but there has been no comparison between what the gladiator has seen and what the battle mage has seen.

Go right ahead. From my experience trade only helped with prices, as my BM didn't see anything better in the shops than my gladiator, and he had 17 trade. It's supposed to improve the quality every level, and you'd think at 17 it'd be noticeably better. Well, it wasn't. I'm upgrading my gladiator's stuff a lot more often than I did my BM's simply because the BM just didn't find anything in the shops. My gladiator still finds something every now and then, though really the best stuff is found in loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom