Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's homage to Star Trail

Andhaira

Arcane
I was posting in the star trail thread when I recalled something; what do people think about biowares homage to Star Trail in Bladurs Gate? You know, Star Trail had a certain sexy female npc trapped in ice you could only rescue and add to your party if you had a certain spell from the transmutation college; Bg1 had a female npc warpriest (helena) who was also frozen and looked VERY similar to the one in Star Trail portrait wise. She also appeared in the bg2 tutorial.)

Pretty cool eh? (pun intended) Shame Bioware never thought to make combat as it was in roa though.

Raapys

Arcane
Bah, combat in BG2 > combat in RoA( at least Blade, not sure if it gets any different ). Not being able to cast spells or fire bows except if you're on the same grid-line as the target is inexcusable.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's fixed in RoA 2 and turns the decent combat system into a great one.

Binary

Liturgist
Andhaira said:
Bg1 had a female npc warpriest (helena) who was also frozen and looked VERY similar to the one in Star Trail portrait wise.

Helena? Don't you mean Branwen, the petrified npc priest?

sheek

Arbiter
Andhaira said:
I was posting in the star trail thread when I recalled something; what do people think about biowares homage to Star Trail in Bladurs Gate? You know, Star Trail had a certain sexy female npc trapped in ice you could only rescue and add to your party if you had a certain spell from the transmutation college; Bg1 had a female npc warpriest (helena) who was also frozen and looked VERY similar to the one in Star Trail portrait wise. She also appeared in the bg2 tutorial.)

Pretty cool eh? (pun intended) Shame Bioware never thought to make combat as it was in roa though.
Why do you think it has to come from RoA2?

I remember a D&D pen and paper module that had that same scenario, a scantily clothed woman trapped in some kind of jelly thing in a dungeon you were exploring, you could free her with a spell and she became a useful NPC who helped the party a lot.

Lumpy

Arcane
Why should anyone give a fuck about Bioware's unlikely homage to Star Trail?

Andhaira said:

Was she the statue in the Basilisks? I don't think I ever used her.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why is this a homage? stuff liek this has been common in D&D campaigns forever. Gah.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Hey guys! I just realized that there are dragons in both BG2 and NWN! I think it might be an homage!

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes she was petrified but thats because dnd does not have a 'freeze into icecube' spell. It si a homage because apart from the situation, both npc's have identical portraits.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Walkin' Dude said:
Stop these annoying BG threads.

BG 1 is the ONLY game I know with extra dialogue when you use the Charm spell on NPCs. The only game where you can go charm NPCs to learn more information. The spider thing in Cloakwood? Charm her and she tells you how she got cursed. Then guard near the Iron Throne HQ? Charm him and he spills the whole plot.

The sad thing is - nobody ever remembers or even NOTICES this awesome feature of BG. I just learned about this as I replay the game. It's incredibly amazing how much "hidden" dialogue there is when you use Charm; I would never have expected this from Bioware and it improves the game tons, in my book; even though most "charm" changes are minor.

Andhaira

Arcane
In RoA you can use a simlar spell to read NPC's minds!!

Yet another HOMAGE!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Stop these annoying BG threads.

BG 1 is the ONLY game I know with extra dialogue when you use the Charm spell on NPCs.

and after this codex bashes BG1. what I like about old good rpgs is that they got so much unknown stuff. like Arcanum that I've recently completed. so many ways to complete quests that are so very well hidden.

btw I remember someone was bashing Bioware games for not letting you influence your companions - just playing an ass-licker. what I like about BG2 & ToB is that you can actually -influence- your companions depending on your dialogue choices. it's not like in recent rpgs. you say shit and it's influence -1. I was really surprised that by going against f.e. Sarevok's and Viconia's thoughts you can change their alignment and views on the world.
Those are too unnoticeable features. which give you different outcomes for them btw

Andhaira

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Andhaira said:
In RoA you can use a simlar spell to read NPC's minds!!

Yet another HOMAGE!

Stop being obviously stupid.

Stop being a dick, and at least add something constructive to the thread.

I don't have RoA or BG1 installed, but someone who has both on their hardrives, can you put up the portraits for both so everyone can see for themselves?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
inwoker said:
something tells me that we have 2nd candidate for double-dumbfuck

Sheesh, Andhaira makes a stupid thread starting with two factual mistakes (Helena? WTF?) - what's so special?

Actually a more descriptive, offensive custom title would be better (though probably that way he/she would gain more respect amongst his/her homies).

Okay, make it double dumbfuck.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He is possessed by a demon. A demon that just loves to play BG. Nothing wrong with that, but the demon gets annoying. We need an exorcist.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
thesheeep said:
He is possessed by a demon. A demon that just loves to play BG. Nothing wrong with that, but the demon gets annoying. We need an exorcist.

Let's rape him with BG's CDs, maybe that works.

sheek

Arbiter
Are you sure he's not a Volourn alt? I'm getting suspicious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom