Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Caim

Arcane
Well it's still a studio labelled "BioWare" so they won't be able to pass it off as off-brand so easily.
So wait, it's no longer Bioware Montreal making Mass Effect?

Tytus

Arcane
dda32d74e14540d1991a9e974d4dc027

Bioware is trying to build hype with stock photos. Well, it's Bioware they used a stock photo for Tali's face, so why not.

Freddie

Savant
This is starting to look promising. Delays, stock photos for promotion, at least one character that looks like elder tranny or something. This may turn out to be something very entertaining.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
This is starting to look promising. Delays, stock photos for promotion, at least one character that looks like elder tranny or something. This may turn out to be something very entertaining.
That just sounds like regular BioWare to me.

"Awful and hilarious" - the BioWare slogan

Tytus

Arcane
nm8SYQa.png

Quick guys! Let's all sign up for their shitty newsletter to get an equally shitty reward (or at least have a chance to win it!)

Tytus

Arcane
nkez4vviyqvx.jpg

The Ark thing reminds me of the Outbound Flight extragalactic Ship from Star Wars expanded universe more and more.

outbound-flight-sketch.png

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If the game looks anything like these countdown hype pics... well, it's gonna be great.

Man, I haven't been so hyped for a BioWare game since the first screenshots of Dragon Age 2.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
With the amount of lore Bioware dumped in the previous games, it's odd that this extra galactic ship was never mentioned, especially considering how it dwarfs the biggest ships humanity has ever constructed.

They should have made a better job of fitting the game into the existing universe, but considering how little fucks they give about retconning, I'm not surprised.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Shush you! BioWare are the masters of RPG world-building according to everyone*! How dare you suggest they have no idea what they're doing?

*Except for Chris Avellone. Bethesda is much better in his opinion.

Tytus

Arcane
CwgquB0XgAAkJ8R.jpg:large

With the amount of lore Bioware dumped in the previous games, it's odd that this extra galactic ship was never mentioned, especially considering how it dwarfs the biggest ships humanity has ever constructed.

They should have made a better job of fitting the game into the existing universe, but considering how little fucks they give about retconning, I'm not surprised.

Well they probably built the thing when Shepard was dead for those 2.5 years, and later was in the Terminus Systems. So he just didn't know! And no one told him, because he didn't ask! He isn't interested in non Reaper things anyway.

Modron

Arcane
Well they probably built the thing when Shepard was dead for those 2.5 years, and later was in the Terminus Systems. So he just didn't know! And no one told him, because he didn't ask! He isn't interested in non Reaper things anyway.

But...but nobody on Citadel was bitching about having to finance a giant space arc with their taxes. Joking aside you would think such an endeavor would spend years in the planning stages and a spectre agent would be cursorily aware of such a thing even if not interested in it. But then again we are already spending too mcuh thought on a retcon of a universe that has already been repeatedly retconned.

Freddie

Savant
Nah, it's in line with game lore. It comes from The Illusive Man's ass like all those Cerberus troopers, weapons, space fighters, battleships, land bases and space stations.

Frozen

Arcane
That ship looks so 90s
Like some cheap ad for a vertically scrolling shooter

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I have confidence that BioWare will be able to explain any and all questions that we may have. They have always been the masters of RPG storytelling and shame on you all for doubting them.

Here's my take! *fwoooosh!*

The first three games were actually just military simulations run by a super-advanced super-computer with a power ego trip, installed on board this new supershipcolony or whatever. The power ego trip explains the self-insert mary sue robots (the reapers, the geth, Saren AND Shepard's transformation into cyborgs (since robots are superior to organics) and why everybody ONLY wanted to fuck a computer program with Tricia Helfer's voice once it had a cameltoe installed, or a robot body with a cameltoe to be exact).
The simulation was meant to find out how the universe would fare in a war against a super powerful enemy! Because the super-computer didn't have much military knowledge it drew inspiration from a number of popular video games and science-fiction movies, like Contra, Gears of War, Starship Troopers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Starship Troopers, Star Trek, Starship Troopers, Star Trek, and Lolita.

*cut to a scene with Keith David voicing a black guy who may be kernel or general or something talking to New Shepard*
New Shepard: "Man, that was some freaky military simulation! At least I got laid several times."
Keith David's new black military guy: "New Shepard! We have to talk! The egg-heads over at the super-computer lab is saying the simulation may NOT HAVE BEEN JUST A SIMULATION!"
"I'm getting laid for real?!"
*awkward animation of Keith David smacking New Shepard in the face*
"Dammit, New Shepard! That's not what's important, New Shepard! It turns out it wasn't simulating fantasy warfare! It was showing us a glimpse of THE NEAR FUTURE!!"
"I'M GONNA GET LAID IN THE FUTURE!"
"UNLESS THE EVIL SPACESHIP ROBOTS KILL US ALL FIRST!"
"I DON'T CARE I'M GONNA FUCK A BLUE CHICK, A CANADIAN GUY, A TEST-TUBE WOMAN AND A LADY WHOSE BODY WAS ALL TATTOOS."

*movie trailer guy (not the dead one): "MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA - MASS EFFECT BEGINS. FOR REAL THIS TIME."

There. Plotholes solved, or shall we say UTTERLY DESTROYED AND HUMILIATED!? See how easy that was for me? BioWare will no doubt do MUCH, MUCH better than me.

Have faith, ye of little faith!

Tytus

Arcane
I have confidence that BioWare will be able to explain any and all questions that we may have. They have always been the masters of RPG storytelling and shame on you all for doubting them.

Here's my take! *fwoooosh!*

The first three games were actually just military simulations run by a super-advanced super-computer with a power ego trip, installed on board this new supershipcolony or whatever. The power ego trip explains the self-insert mary sue robots (the reapers, the geth, Saren AND Shepard's transformation into cyborgs (since robots are superior to organics) and why everybody ONLY wanted to fuck a computer program with Tricia Helfer's voice once it had a cameltoe installed, or a robot body with a cameltoe to be exact).
The simulation was meant to find out how the universe would fare in a war against a super powerful enemy! Because the super-computer didn't have much military knowledge it drew inspiration from a number of popular video games and science-fiction movies, like Contra, Gears of War, Starship Troopers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Starship Troopers, Star Trek, Starship Troopers, Star Trek, and Lolita.

*cut to a scene with Keith David voicing a black guy who may be kernel or general or something talking to New Shepard*
New Shepard: "Man, that was some freaky military simulation! At least I got laid several times."
Keith David's new black military guy: "New Shepard! We have to talk! The egg-heads over at the super-computer lab is saying the simulation may NOT HAVE BEEN JUST A SIMULATION!"
"I'm getting laid for real?!"
*awkward animation of Keith David smacking New Shepard in the face*
"Dammit, New Shepard! That's not what's important, New Shepard! It turns out it wasn't simulating fantasy warfare! It was showing us a glimpse of THE NEAR FUTURE!!"
"I'M GONNA GET LAID IN THE FUTURE!"
"UNLESS THE EVIL SPACESHIP ROBOTS KILL US ALL FIRST!"
"I DON'T CARE I'M GONNA FUCK A BLUE CHICK, A CANADIAN GUY, A TEST-TUBE WOMAN AND A LADY WHOSE BODY WAS ALL TATTOOS."

*movie trailer guy (not the dead one): "MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA - MASS EFFECT BEGINS. FOR REAL THIS TIME."

There. Plotholes solved, or shall we say UTTERLY DESTROYED AND HUMILIATED!? See how easy that was for me? BioWare will no doubt do MUCH, MUCH better than me.

Have faith, ye of little faith!

So basically the plot of nu-XCOM2? Not very imaginitive.

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/795400389478805504/photo/1

CwnUcB7WQAE7w-g.jpg

There is suppose to be some Bioware stream tomorrow.

Drax

Arcane
inb4 "Andromeda Initiative" is a major email dump from hillary's sex dungeon. It turns out that, all this time, Bioware was just a front for an underground group of hackers from like the 80s, man, and they went unnoticed by acting like a generic video game company while they infiltrated the illuminati reptiles it's aliens urmom podesta's kitchen.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So basically the plot of nu-XCOM2? Not very imaginitive.
Is that really the plot of XCOM 2? ("New X-COM spells it XCOM, btw.) I haven't played it.
edit: BOY THANKS FOR SPOILERS DICKHEAD!!

Anyway, I told you, man, I fucking told you. This was just my effort. BioWare's writers are on a completely different level. You can be sure they'll do much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom