Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

nomask7

Arcane
If you don't touch any enemies at all or get caught, you should get No Trace bonus which is so massive that it basically guarantees S rating.

Oh, cool. That will make the game a lot more interesting.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Kazuhira "Blacks in my Lane get hit with my Cane" Miller
Kazuhira "If you fulton a Nig, I`ll throw them in the Brig" Miller
Kazuhira "We're Diamond Dogs, Not Welfare Nig Nogs" Miller
Kazuhira "If they're black, they'll get a smack" Miller
Kazuhira "Don't speak Ebonics or I'll go Demonic" Miller
Kazuhira "If he speaks Kinkongo i'm gonna play him like a bongo" Miller
Kazuhira "A non-White Race Won't set Foot on This Base" Miller
Kazuhira "If it ain't white, it's dying tonight" Miller
Kazuhira "the bigger the nigger the sooner I pull the trigger" Miller
Kazuhira "I'll install Jim Crow, make the blood flow" Miller
Kazuhira "If you fulton a coon, i'll shoot the ballon" Miller
Kazuhira "Killing spree at KFC" Miller.
Kazuhira "Fulton a nigger and my kill count gets bigger" Miller
Kazuhira "Southern Wind Chimes for niggers at anytime" Miller

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Discovered something new today. I was messing around a bit, running up to a jackal and trying to punch it. I missed and got pounced by the thing, so a QTE showed up to throw it off of Snake... except D-Dog, whom I had with me at that point, pulled the jackal off of Snake, grabbed it by the throat while it was on the ground and shook it a bit, which knocked the thing unconscious.

It's the little things like those that Kojima always added to his games.

EDIT: I've figured out that just getting D-Dog close enough to a canine enemy will have him knock them the fuck out without being in much danger himself.

Next test: D-Dog VS a bear.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I've been doing a bit of testing involving those underbarrel grenade launchers. Turns out that the two types do make a difference, albeit a modest one. You see, the Soviet one is a bit shorter and performs a bit worse, but this allows it to be strapped to shorter barrels on your rifles. The large American one can only fit under standard size and LMG/Sniper barrels. The very shortest can only take the accuracy grips.

With the Soviet one you can more easily research sleep grenades. These are pretty much a one-hit knockout on heavy infantry, allowing you to take out clusters of them in one shot. It also reloads pretty quickly, so if you have two groups of heavy infantry you can take them out quickly. However, they do hear and see sleep grenades explode and go into caution mode, but not into high alert. Sleep grenades are also a hard counter to enemies in transport trucks: one well-placed shot and both passengers go down immediately. They do get out first, but I've had that they fell under the truck somehow, which makes it a pain if you want to extract them but want to drive around with the truck as well.

All four types of assault rifle can fit grenade launchers, as well as the AM semi-auto sniper rifle (regular and sleep ammo). This is where I slap on my sleep grenade launcher, but only partially because it's my non-lethal weapon. You see, at higher levels the long-barreled single-shot grenade launcher you can equip as your hip weapon comes with a special 2x/6x scope with range finder. This is a red targeting aid in your scope that tells you roughly where your grenade is going to land. This is incredibly useful when using your grenade launcher for precision strikes against things like radar installations. Do note that this only works in 2x zoom: at 6x the targeting aid drops off of the scope almost immediately if you aim upwards. I prefer to use the destructive grenades at a larger range while using the sleep grenades at short range when it's easier to guess where the shot is going to land. Thing is, while a 6x scope is just fine for an assault rifle when going prone, it just won't cut it for a sniper rifle. So the 6x scope is ideal if you want both the ability to engage enemies at a good distance yet want to use your underbarrel grenade launcher as well.

However, when you use lots of gas-based grenades (smoke and sleep) enemies start wearing gas masks. This is actually quite a useful thing: from what I've seen helmets, gas masks and night vision goggles are all mutually exclusive. Sure, you can't knock them out with sleep gas anymore (100% immune), but they're easy pickings for both you and Quiet but they won't see you walking around as if you're in broad daylight. Additionally, heavy infantry is defenseless against sleep gas and you can easily knock out wandering puppets with two sleep grenades.

Of course, grenade launchers tend to heavily increase the cost of your weapons but you're essentially able to carry another weapon, which is quite useful given the limited equipment system.

Furthermore, I've noticed that underbarrel weapons of all kinds (grenade launchers, shotguns and the pistol(?)) restrict the types of magazines you can put into your guns. The 7.62mm has 75 and 50 round drums while the 5.56mm has a 100 round double drum, but all of those cannot be equipped with an underslung weapon (and unequip these magazines upon equipping them). This limits you to either of three magazine types: the basic dirty ones, the gaudy orange ones and the tiny magazines carrying the larger rounds, limiting you to a total of 60-something shots.

I also noticed that the non-lethal weapons that stun can knock an enemy out with a single headshot, but enemies around them will react as if their comrade was hit by a lethal round, as opposed to the surprise you get with a sleep round.

To the ppl who are toying with mods for TPP.

Some mods (both for PC and consoles) requires editing 00.dat file that should be located under Master/0/00 path. But there are some versions in which such file doesn't exist. Many ppl complain about it but still haven't found solution. Any ides which versions have and which don't and why?

Or simplier, with version without that file, should I just put mod content into missing place or there is a need to create 00.dat somehow? I just need to use 00/Assets/ttp/script/lib/TppStory.lua file.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Chapter 3 confirmed.
C32zvKPUcAAMxEJ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom