Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's homage to Star Trail

Jasede said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Stop these annoying BG threads.

BG 1 is the ONLY game I know with extra dialogue when you use the Charm spell on NPCs. The only game where you can go charm NPCs to learn more information. The spider thing in Cloakwood? Charm her and she tells you how she got cursed. Then guard near the Iron Throne HQ? Charm him and he spills the whole plot.
Wizardry 8 (and RoA) had mindread stuff, which is close.

I should go back and charm the Iron Throne guard so I can actually understand the plot of Baldur's Gate.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jasede said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

BG 1 is the ONLY game I know with extra dialogue when you use the Charm spell on NPCs. The only game where you can go charm NPCs to learn more information. The spider thing in Cloakwood? Charm her and she tells you how she got cursed. Then guard near the Iron Throne HQ? Charm him and he spills the whole plot.

The sad thing is - nobody ever remembers or even NOTICES this awesome feature of BG. I just learned about this as I replay the game. It's incredibly amazing how much "hidden" dialogue there is when you use Charm; I would never have expected this from Bioware and it improves the game tons, in my book; even though most "charm" changes are minor.

By the same logic that Fallout's non-combat options are irrelevant because you don't exploit them fully instinctively, this fact is completely useless.

lulz @ turning BG-boyz logic against themselves

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's an explanation:

Fallout's non-violence is well known - BG's charm dialogue is not known by even 5% of the players. The fact isn't useless because it gives a game that's usually just called a terrible dungeon crawler a whole new RP element, not at all comparable to Fallout that is built on those elements. Thirdly, I don't see any BG fanboys.

Andhaira

Arcane
In baldursw gate a DRUID can use charm animal spell to charm a violent rat, and thus get p[ass him non-violently. Can you do that in fallout? Nah, didn't think so. You have no choice but to engage in man-2-rat kombat. Also, when coming across wilderness encounters you can use charm person/monster/animal and get by them non-violently.

In this situation,

BG > Fallout.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, does someone have those two portraits already, orwill I have to get 'em myself to prove my dtractors wrong?

Andhaira

Arcane
No. I'm not blaming anything,just making a comparison. Fallout was futuristic/post apoc; it can't have spellcasting. Stop putting words into my mouth, and I'll stop putting my dick into yours.

Lumpy

Arcane
For fuck's sake...
There is even a perk in Fallout called Animal Empathy which makes animals friendly.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
How could I have forgotten?
ANIMALFR.gif

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Jasede said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

The sad thing is - nobody ever remembers or even NOTICES this awesome feature of BG. I just learned about this as I replay the game. It's incredibly amazing how much "hidden" dialogue there is when you use Charm; I would never have expected this from Bioware and it improves the game tons, in my book; even though most "charm" changes are minor.

whoa. i didn't know this shit either. time for a replay. I think people went past this because the heavy combat going on, people tend to save their charms (I know I did) for purely combat application. It's just a natural way of assumption, spells are for combat, CHA is for talking / turn undead, that's it.

Andhaira

Arcane
Lol, that looks like the energizer bunny whoz on drugs and shit. :D

Andhaira

Arcane
@RK47: Best use though is charming them and then making them fight for you!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Andhaira said:
@RK47: Best use though is charming them and then making them fight for you!

yeah as far as I know THAT is the ONLY application I assume in BG1. I never heard of using Charm to get more information or more dialogue choices.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
sheek said:
Are you sure he's not a Volourn alt? I'm getting suspicious
what's the point if codex was vd and kingcomrade with alts, now vd is gone and...

btw, where is kc? Is that related to kreidebein and that other girl dissapearance?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone clearly missed the days when every second thread was an Oblivion thread.

Man, those were good times.

Eh, actually, BG > Oblivion, so it ain't that bad, no matter how high your standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom