Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend a 'fun' FPS

A horse of course

Latest iteration of the Wolfenstein is supposed to be good fun wielding double assault rifles, fighting super-soldier nazis and mech-Hitlers.

It is, to an extent. But it also has some lengthy sections of cutscenes or wandering around doing virtually nothing.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Have you played Blood? Unreal? Check out the Deathwish map pack for Blood if you haven't. Gotta play custom maps of old games for more oldschool goodness instead of looking for it in modern FPS.

:Flash:

Arcane
I am not a big FPS fan, the only ones I played from start to finish are NOLF, Outlaws and XIII. If you enjoyed NOLF (and haven't played it yet) I'd recommend XIII, they're somewhat similar. If you enjoyed Dark Forces, Outlaws is the obvious choice (Dark Forces in the Wild West).

Freddie

Savant
I don't see Dark Forces II Jedi Knight mentioned.
You mentioned Supreme Commando, so how about Dark Forces 1 & 2?
Bruh?

And the texture/resolution mods are still out there. They might be ripped from Jedi Outcast but whatever. The force stuff made the game better imo.
Sorry, don't know why I didn't noticed that. Then...
-Dark Forces
FEAR is FUN
I forgot this. It has it moments at least.

Quatlo

Arcane
I have very similair problem right now. And with multiplayer out of the window, it narrows our options even further. There is only so many times you can replay Serious Sam. There is that new Shadow Warrior, but I haven't played it so I cant reccomend it.
Maybe try XIII, it aged pretty well but has these ultra annoying stealth sections. But its one of the best pixel-shade games out there.
Bet on Soldier was pretty cool with you and enemies shredding armour pieces off eachother, a battle of atrition basically. Its also a pretty good game overall.
Red Faction Guerilla is pure destruction michael bay simulator, fun for couple of hours but I can bet you'll grow bored of the formula before you finish it.
Prey starts good and imaginative, but turns into stupid doom 3 clone with boring puzzles.

J1M

Arcane
Lots of good suggestions so far. Sadly I've already played most of them. Too bad there aren't any new ones to consider. Will give Juarez a go.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Since you've played all the classic FPS games I would recommend checking out Doom 64 EX, Powerslave EX, and Turok EX.

Axe Father

Savant
Hey, if you like Monolith games try Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. There's nothing really special about it in terms of FPS design, it's pretty standard stuff, but it has lots of personality like other Monolith shooters at the time. Haven't played it since around '03 or so, but I remember thinking it was pretty entertaining. It isn't amazing by any means, but it's hard to hate because it's clear they had a good time making it. Main character is the good sort of cocky bastard, too. I still say some of his lines, lol.

It's 2.39 USD on GOG right now because of the sale.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
play Marathon
https://alephone.lhowon.org/

Marathon_network_game.gif

marathon_1.jpg

inf06.jpg

03.png

cool guns, cool enemies, cool gameplay, Total Carnage difficulty for the REal Vidmasters
great story for the Storyfriends *(you can skip if you are illaterate)
play marathon original pheonix after the trilogy, it's seriously underrated

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I got serious seasickness from the modern PC port of Marathon. But I really enjoyed the remake that was made using the ultrasmooth Unreal Tournament.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I got serious seasickness from the modern PC port of Marathon. But I really enjoyed the remake that was made using the ultrasmooth Unreal Tournament.
there exists a script which expands the FoV and really helps with motion sickness

Out of modern ones:

Bulletstorm
Necrovision + The Lost Company
FC3: Blood Dragon
Crysis / Warhead (but stop playing immediately after aliens appear)

These were only new fpses that are able to give fun comparble to second rate shooters from '90 .

And best underrated old fps - Last Rites (1997, Ocean Soft.)

pippin

EYE Divine Cybermancy where you have fun trying to figure out what the fuck is going on while being a big, muscular robot guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom