Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Rats Released

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Bought it last night and played through the first two fights with a 8 Charisma bow dude as my main character. No horrible rape, yet, but looks promising. Anything to help the Colon(y) Ship game becoming reality. Good show Vault Dweller! :salute:

DramaticPopcorn

I'm out of the loop: is this cut content from AoD?

P.S.: not baiting, just wondering how they managed to squeeze it out so fast

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Well, they have been working on it for at least a year and it uses AoD's assets, and it's a bit short, so it really isn't a surprise that it's out now. It is some sort of AoD spin-off focused heavily on combat, if you will. I'd say it takes like 10 hours to finish it with a single run, but you will most certainly create a lof of different characters so all in all it might keep you entertained for 20 to 30 hours, maybe ?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'd say it takes like 10 hours to finish it with a single run, but you will most certainly create a lof of different characters so all in all it might keep you entertained for 20 to 30 hours, maybe ?

No, how much it takes varies according to the level of diffcult you choose and how much you are acquainted with the combat system. In fact, even if you are used to the combat system of AoD, you can still restart many times because the resoucers are much more scarce and there are more variety of enemy types. DR is a game on its own and a damn good game at that. Honestly, I didn't expect that.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Bought it last night and played through the first two fights with a 8 Charisma bow dude as my main character. No horrible rape, yet

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

images

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Bought it last night and played through the first two fights with a 8 Charisma bow dude as my main character. No horrible rape, yet

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

images
actually the queen ant was much, much easier than than some other early fights, like Barca or the first elder scorpion.
I'd say it takes like 10 hours to finish it with a single run, but you will most certainly create a lof of different characters so all in all it might keep you entertained for 20 to 30 hours, maybe ?

No, how much it takes varies according to the level of diffcult you choose and how much you are acquainted with the combat system. In fact, even if you are used to the combat system of AoD, you can still restart many times because the resoucers are much more scarce and there are more variety of enemy types. DR is a game on its own and a damn good game at that. Honestly, I didn't expect that.
eh so far I have a completely opposite experience considering resources. I've got a fuckton of ore for crafting, apply poison constantly and have a lot of unused alchemical ingriedents, even including the healing ones.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No. The main feature is party-based combat, whereas AoD is a single-character game.

Producing new content is very easy when you have the engine, all assets and systems, especially when that content is mainly combat. Still, it took us 10 months to put it together.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
actually the queen ant was much, much easier than than some other early fights, like Barca or the first elder scorpion.

I tend to agree. Barca and his team is the hardest fight, specially if you are fighting before venturing the deep caverns. The game is kinda misleading in that aspect since it suggests it would be easier to fight him first. The battle with the queen was easier than a previous one with lots of ants.

eh so far I have a completely opposite experience considering resources. I've got a fuckton of ore for crafting, apply poison constantly and have a lot of unused alchemical ingriedents, even including the healing ones.

Well, but that is the thing. You only have crafted metal weapons on the second level. You can't invest heavily in crafting or alchemy earlier on without getting fucked. You also have more battles and they are more strategic. The sense of progression feels different, hard-earned. When I got to the river fight I thought "You bunch of spoiled weaklings. If we beat Barca's gang using ants parts, we are going to rip you apart!".

Cadmus

Arcane
Barca isnt an avid ethymologist and the queen was a big shitty ant i think hehe
this part was really funny.

Anyway, I actually managed to beat the 2nd fight with the crossbow girl after many many reloads so now I gotta do the next battle without anybody dying because I suspect I will keep getting fucked in the ass even after that.

Vault Dweller is there a way to make my chars face the way I want them to inside the battle? I can only do it in the prep phase.
Also, is there any journal? I can't find anything.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No. The main feature is party-based combat, whereas AoD is a single-character game.

Producing new content is very easy when you have the engine, all assets and systems, especially when that content is mainly combat. Still, it took us 10 months to put it together.

Why so low amount of text in-game?

Most text (Lore) comes from companions whom you can recruit. There is few lore outside of it (enforcer, barka...).

Compare this to AoD amount of texts.

You have good writing, i wanted some good reading...

Also add more stat checks in-game (there is 1 check for Int? 1 for Dex? 1 for Per?)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because Vince was working on the Colony Ship RPG mostly this year, this was a game to keep the programmers/artists busy while preproduction for the main dish is underway.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Plus it's a combat game and we were upfront about it. It's a game for people who liked AoD combat (and there were quite a few people who liked combat and didn't like the rest), not a sequel to AoD. Our version of ToEE, basically. The goal was to do it in 8-10 months and I didn't want to do anything that might push it into the next year and push the CSG back.

Black Angel

Arcane
Is repairing stuff intended to be done by having more than necessary ingredients in your inventory? For example, to repair a Bronze equipment, if it says you need 1.0 lbs of Bronze, repairing can only be done if you have, maybe, at least 1.1 lbs of Bronze. If not, then I just encountered a bug where having only 1.0 lbs of Bronze would resulted in the said equipment staying broken, while all those Bronze just gone.

Also, I haven't actually played AoD, so I wouldn't know if there's similar stuff happened like this.

Lhynn

Arcane
Played 15 minutes, didnt see any tits. Will this improve later down the line?

csarga

Novice
Plus it's a combat game and we were upfront about it. It's a game for people who liked AoD combat (and there were quite a few people who liked combat and didn't like the rest), not a sequel to AoD. Our version of ToEE, basically. The goal was to do it in 8-10 months and I didn't want to do anything that might push it into the next year and push the CSG back.
Will the game recieve content expansions down the line? Not talking DLCs/addons necessarily, like small content spit-n-polish and small additions?

I bought it to help ITS, but I'm finding the game lacking in content even knowing full well that it's combat-centered. I think adding bits of lore, quests or dialogues could go a long way improving the experience.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Will the game recieve content expansions down the line? Not talking DLCs/addons necessarily, like small content spit-n-polish and small additions?

I bought it to help ITS, but I'm finding the game lacking in content even knowing full well that it's combat-centered. I think adding bits of lore, quests or dialogues could go a long way improving the experience.
Content as in more fights, new areas to explore? No. It's a very self-contained "fight your way out" adventure. Once you're out, the game is over.

We'll add some improvements here and there, based on the suggestions we received, but that's about it. Not because we don't want to but because there's no room to insert more content. The only thing we can do is make another game set in the stranger in a strange land ending but even to make a similar game (exactly like DR but set elsewhere) would take 12-14 months and push the CSG to 2021, which isn't something we want to do either, even if DR sells really well.

We appreciate your support (we really do, every 'vote' counts) but if you aren't satisfied with your purchase, which was aimed at a very specific audience, I'd rather you return it for refund than feel that you paid money for something you didn't really enjoy.

Cadmus

Arcane
guys can somebody please fuckin answer me already - is there a way to manually tell my guys where to face in the battle?

Vault Dweller

Developer
In battle? No. In the placement phase? Yes. Hold down your right mouse button.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That was my experience for most of the game then I managed to fuck myself by not really paying attention and running out of healing supplies right before fighting the praetors :negative:. Should have saved in more slots than just using quicksave since I'm not sure how I can win those 2 fights back to back without any healing.

Also Vault Dweller, any sales stats to share with us?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom