Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I think Ryder is better looking than any of the Kardashians.

Both Andromeda Ryder and San Andreas Ryder.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
BioWare has terrible voice direction...

The Voice Acting for Female Shep in ME2 was excellent. In fact it is better than the Male one.
I'm not talking about the voice acting, although it's interesting with Mass Effect how Mark Meer gradually become better. He's actually a good voice actor but they pretty much neutered him in ME1 and ME2.

Squadmates
-Peebee: Asari squadmate shown in previous footage. Went off on her own after arriving on the Nexus and described as having a "bubbly personality". She's smart and not concerned with social norms and "niceties".
Fuck this.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fuck it.
You truly are a spectacle! :hahyou:

Biggest disappointment so far is how unspectacularly idiotic Andromeda is shaping up. Granted, ME3 and DA:I are hard to beat, but it's like BW isn't even trying anymore. Is Peebee the worst they can do nowadays? Come on. Daddy needs his Schadenfreude here.

Prime Junta

Okay show of hands, who thought there wouldn't be a manic pixie dream space girl in it?

pippin

Is Peebee the worst they can do nowadays?

Peebee is what they have been doing since Imoen and Aerie et al.

I don't think any BG girl, including Imoen, is that obnoxious. But that may be for lack of content in BG, and not for lack of Bioware's will of the characters being that way.

Imoen is the template for the bioware pixie girl. Friendly reminder that the only different trend that Bioware has tried recently is open world, the rest is just typical Bio.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Imoen could have been much, much worse if she had actual dialogue beyond a few lines. Aerie is far worse, with the romance, banters and whatnot.

I already know of people who can't stand Imoen as is, and kill her outright.

It occurred to me as I was writing this, but maybe Aerie's background was a metaphor for rape victims. It takes some trauma to be that weak and cattle-willed. And yet she didn't feel an ounce of angst -she does display angst, but to the MC, not to the right people, or to the world. She has been treated like shit for most of her life, and she still remains a naive gal with good intentions. Must be an elf thing, because sure as fuck we humans aren't like that.

I think that Bioware is doing now what they couldn't do with Baldur's Gate, due to time, money and tech constraints. Namely: they're revamping their old whiney, quirky characters and expanding upon them. The task of revamping BG itself fell to a menial company like Beamdog.

pippin

That's not what I meant. Imoen triggered the first instances of BSN faggotry. The most popular mods at the time involved her being romanceable.

Also, fuck your rape analogy. Don't disrespect rape victims like that. She was mistreated but never even implied that she was raped. Consider this: if Aerie was a man, would you say she was raped? Are you a cishet pig?

Theldaran

Liturgist
No, I meant her background was a writer's (crappy) way of portraying a victim of abuse (which IRL would probably be rape or domestic violence), but putting it into a fantasy world.

That's also consistent with your allegation that Bioware has been the same Bioware all along, social justice, drama and repeated schemes over and over.

And yes, I'm aware that you're being sarcastic.

Freddie

Savant
-Playing MP will have advantages for the single player
Missed that one...

I took a look to different editions. So there's standard edition going for $ 60, Deluxe edition going for $ 70 and Super Deluxe edition for $ 100. Super Deluxe has only multiplayer bonus content over deluxe edtion, 20 MP starter packs and experience boosters.

I had hopes MP might be good in sense that there might still be players when this hits the bargain bin, but that value MP content bonuses worth $ 30 doesn't look promising for MP.

Freddie

Savant
Who the fuck even plays ME multiplayer?
It was surprisingly good. Actually it was only good aspect of ME3.

IIRC the ME3 multiplayer was pretty populated, at least until a few months ago.
Doesn't surprise me, it was very popular approx 18 months or so ago when I gave it a go last time.

I had hopes for MP aspect because team making ME4 is AFAIK much the same as ME3 MP team, but now I don't know. I'm sure as hell wont be paying what BW is asking on release but if they overestimate value of Mass Effect brand and make MP too grindy / expensive there might not be enough player base remaining a year or so.

Ebonsword

Arcane
From the new Gameinformer issue:

Combat
-Global cooldowns are now replaced by individual timers
-Powers are instead hotkeyed for quick use, no longer pausing to bring up a wheel and aim
-Dynamic cover system (ala TLOU)
-Still a cover based shooter with a goal to get the player moving around the battlefield more
-Jetpack allows for more movement variety; you can quick dash instead of rolling
-Jetpack has a hover function that allows you to hit enemies seeking cover or survey your surroundings
-Less emphasis on linear, clearly telegraphed environments that tell you a combat encounter is coming (though linear areas are still in the game)
-Game Informer's hands on was positive, feel the game has a clearer identity in combat than previous games
-You still queue up attacks, combos, order your squad, etc
-All key elements are still intact but the studio wanted to encourage more experimentation and wider variety of abilities

Apparently Bioware doesn't realize that the best way to get players to move around the battelfield more is to *not* make a cover-based shooter.

sullynathan

Arcane
Apparently Bioware doesn't realize that the best way to get players to move around the battelfield more is to *not* make a cover-based shooter.
This is false, you can make a cover third person shooter with good traversal of the environment. Lets not act like Max Payne 3 and Vanquish never came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom