Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade as a sequel is never dead

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Slight OT:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...de-empire-sequel-is-quot-never-dead-quot.aspx

"Jade as a sequel is never dead," said BioWare creative director Mike Laidlaw, who worked as a lead writer on the original.

"There are a lot of people still at the studio who worked on that game and want to get back to it," said BioWare GM Aaryn Flynn. "I think one of the advantages to getting back to it after a long time is not only nostalgia is a very powerful feeling in people, but skipping a generation of hardware is actually really exciting because it feels like it's not an evolution. It's a revolution of what you can do, and I think that's the kind of thing that brings people. What if we were to revolutionize Jade Empire and brought it back in that regard? That's the kind of talk that still happens around the studio."

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Slight OT:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...de-empire-sequel-is-quot-never-dead-quot.aspx

"Jade as a sequel is never dead," said BioWare creative director Mike Laidlaw, who worked as a lead writer on the original.

"There are a lot of people still at the studio who worked on that game and want to get back to it," said BioWare GM Aaryn Flynn. "I think one of the advantages to getting back to it after a long time is not only nostalgia is a very powerful feeling in people, but skipping a generation of hardware is actually really exciting because it feels like it's not an evolution. It's a revolution of what you can do, and I think that's the kind of thing that brings people. What if we were to revolutionize Jade Empire and brought it back in that regard? That's the kind of talk that still happens around the studio."

I know he says "as a sequel," but the rest of that quote feels like he's talking about an HD remaster - a Jade Empire: Revolutionary Special Edition.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's no way post-social justice Bioware is going near the Jade Empire setting again.

pippin

Jade Empire: Revolutionary Special Edition.

image006.jpg

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Eh, looking back Jade Empire was rather bland action-rpg, marking the transition to retard-oriented games like Bethesda Fallouts, ME series or last two TES games and assorted crap. Still I have nice memories of playing in exotic setting, instead of rehashing medieval Europe over and over again. So typical "good for what it was" game.
Fast forward to 2016, Bioware isn't even remotely capable to produce game of similar "quality" as Jade Empire. Not mentioning Asian stereotypes which made me back in the day smirk a bit, now would awake hordes of SJW. So just let it die.

Frozen

Arcane
They won't do it because interns haven't mastered making ugly looing Chinese women faces.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I've played all of Bioware's RPGs except the origin exclusive ones and JE is my least favorite. I liked the unpatched release version of Dragon Age 2 better.

Mozg

Arcane
The Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon fad JE was belatedly built on was p. much a western farewell tour for Hong Kong kung fu cinema; it's completely dead now.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I've played all of Bioware's RPGs except the origin exclusive ones and JE is my least favorite. I liked the unpatched release version of Dragon Age 2 better.

Dragon Age II is by far the worst bioware game and one of the worst games released in the last 10 years. JE, while certainly not great, was significantly better than DA2.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
DA2 would be second worst. Mass Effect 3 still takes the cake, and I'm not even taking into consideration the botched ending here.

As for Jade Empire: I was very hopeful when it was announced, but the Xbox exclusivity, then the continued delays and graphical downgrades soured my appetite. Eventually, when it was released on PC in 2007 I viewed it as a so-so game. Kotor was definitely better.

Lhynn

Arcane
It was a complete atrocity from a setting standpoint anyway.

Rather get something from actually talented devs that understand it and love it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
JE was pretty damn good.

Still, there's one simple reason why it is the only BIo created IP that hasn't got its own sequel let alone an entire trilogy. It is the only BIO game (not counting their early non DnD games or Sonic) that didn't sell over 2mil. From BG to NWN to KOTOR to ME to DA, they all sold upwards of 3mil+ or at least between 2 and 3 mil . JE got to 1.5-2mil. Solid success but not at BIo levels of targetism so in that way it was not 'good' enough monetary wise to waste time from the boss' perspective to make a sequel. Whyh make a JE sequel that will sell 1.5-2mil copies instead of ME or DA that will sell 3mil+?

DOES. NOT. FUKKIN. COMPUTE.

Dedup

Augur
I was pretty disappointed with the simplicity of the combat in Jade Empire. Too bad Microsoft didn't lay down the bucks to outsource the system to someone who knew how to do that stuff properly. It would of been nice if the combat was on par with something like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry with appropriate levels of complexity between the different fighting styles and enemies that were challenging enough to warrant the need for such complexity.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The combat system was not super deep but it was definitely better than the dumbed down DnD in KOTOR. BIO did well with combat mostly in the ME series despite them changing it eveyr fukkin' game. LMAO

Grimlorn

Arcane
Sorry it's a culture, not something the white man can bastardize and pervert to make a quick buck off of. Check your privilege white scum.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would want Bioware makes properly Kindoms of Amalur sequel than Jade. 38 studios is gone so EA has the rights.
I liked combat more than in Dragon Age. Only in lacks difficulty curve as in Dark souls.
Kingdoms of Amalur + Dark souls = :love:

Don't give me WTF moment. You know you want it.

Last edited:

pippin

Amalur is somewhat underrated though, I kinda enjoy it. The thing is Amalur has cute women, Bioware would thoroughly destroy them.

pippin

I am surprised at how it failed so hard. It has the production values and the effort put into it, and it's on the level of mainstream approved stuff like Fable (first one at least) and TES. The baseball guy should've paied the extra bucks for the shilling...

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I am surprised at how it failed so hard. It has the production values and the effort put into it, and it's on the level of mainstream approved stuff like Fable (first one at least) and TES. The baseball guy should've paied the extra bucks for the shilling...
It had formula to fail: turning MP into SP game, bad voiceacting and writing. World building was great. I think that devs wanted to add higher difficulty levels but to late.
Maybe we should continue with KoA in it's own thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It outperformed EA's expectations. :P

It only failed for similar reasons why Interplay went under despite Black Isle remaining a profitable subdivision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom