Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile reveal Wasteland 3's party system

mondblut

Arcane
Who let the larpers out of the woodwork? Go smell Tali sweat or whatever.

Decline of inxile was seen from mile away, no surprise coming. Make your bets, gentlemen - will character romances make their debut in Waste 4, or as early as Waste 3 day 1 DLC?

ArchAngel

Arcane
But guys, you are missing the most important question. Will this game stink more or less than PoE?

naossano

Cipher
Who let the larpers out of the woodwork? Go smell Tali sweat or whatever.

Decline of inxile was seen from mile away, no surprise coming. Make your bets, gentlemen - will character romances make their debut in Waste 4, or as early as Waste 3 day 1 DLC?

No matter if we think romance are good or bad, do you really think adding them on top of a good game would make that game bad ? would it erase anything else that is in the game ?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
And they were really annoying (not Deionarra, the dating sim material companions).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Doesn't mean romance makes PST a bad game and outweighs everything else, like you claimed.

mondblut

Arcane
No matter if we think romance are good or bad, do you really think adding them on top of a good game would make that game bad ? would it erase anything else that is in the game ?

Romances are not added on top of good games, for good games and romances have different, pretty much mutually opposed, target auditories. Know your customers, marketing 101.

Next you'll start asking why a game like PST or Ultima can't have quality, complex TB combat.

Shilandra

Learned

Romances are not added on top of good games, for good games and romances have different, pretty much mutually opposed, target auditories. Know your customers, marketing 101.

Next you'll start asking why a game like PST or Ultima can't have quality, complex TB combat.

Okay, im going to have to ask now because I am officially confused.

What constitutes a romance in an rpg and why are good games and romances mutually exclusive concepts?
Like, PST had romances but that didn't detract from the quality of the game at all for me. Same with MOTB.

Now, my expereince with rpgs is still pretty limited. Maybe its the nature of those romances that set them apart from other romances that bring down game quality, which segways into my next question.

What makes a companion biowarian?

I havent had the luxury of playing any of biowares games except for the first kotar a few years back and the very intro to BG2 so when people complain about companions being biowarian and how that seems to be a universally bad thing Im drawing a blank trying to visualize what they mean because I have no real frame of reference to draw from. From what I can gather in this thread alone a biowarian companion is an ego stroker with a bad childhood who the PC can have sex with? Thats probably not the complete picture, especially considering how the very concept of non player generated companions is being decried as inherently biowarian. Even with the few rpgs i've played that hasn't been the case, with most of them having predetermined companions and almost none of them fitting that mold.

So paint the picture for me. Why are romances and good games diametrically opposed to each other, and is it ormance in general or romances played out with biowarian companions? And what makes a companion biowarian in the first place?

I'd really appreciate any help clearing up this situation because at this point im just lost.

mondblut

Arcane
What constitutes a romance in an rpg and why are good games and romances mutually exclusive concepts?
Like, PST had romances but that didn't detract from the quality of the game at all for me. Same with MOTB

There was no game in PST, only a visual novel. With shitty combat against shitty encounters stuffed in at random for bloat's sake.

What makes a companion biowarian?

He can't stop babbling and he is not created by you at the start of the game according to your vision of the party.

(ok, "biowarian" implies particularly insufferable kind of "companion". but the very idea of "companion" as opposed to real proper party fucking members is a travesty)

So paint the picture for me. Why are romances and good games diametrically opposed to each other

Because there are games about optimal party building, resource management and defeating tactical challenges, and there are games about clicking on hyperlinks to read more angsty emo bullshit. That they somehow ended up being umbrella-ed under the same genre moniker is a cruel joke of the universe.

Saduj

Arcane
Another thing is that in order to have a meaningful full party creation you have to have top notch combat and character systems along with encounters and hard difficulty. This was not the case in WL2, thus it is meaningless to keep it. Full party creation optimum is only meaningful if the game supports it difficulty and content wise, otherwise its just another gimmick.

I think the original Wasteland did accomplish this. I enjoyed Wasteland 2. But I would consider the fact that the game struggled to make four player created characters uniquely useful to be an area where it failed to live up to the original. IMO, they should be aiming to live up to the original in areas where Wasteland 2 fell short. Accepting areas of underperformance in sequels as the new norm guarantees decline.

That said, while I would prefer to start the game with four player created characters, starting with one PC and adding additional player created characters later is not that big a difference to me. What I'd like to see is the character system improved and expanded with content to support it.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
That said, while I would prefer to start the game with four player created characters, starting with one PC and adding additional player created characters later is not that big a difference to me. What I'd like to see is the character system improved and expanded with content to support it.

That's the discussion worth having, however, retards will focus on the number of cardboard cutouts, despite the system being total shit. PC created party with no support from underlying systems is like having 1000 hp engine in a wagon. Useless.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Like, PST had romances but that didn't detract from the quality of the game at all for me. Same with MOTB

There was no game in PST, only a visual novel. With shitty combat against shitty encounters stuffed in at random for bloat's sake.

Because there are games about optimal party building, resource management and defeating tactical challenges, and there are games about clicking on hyperlinks to read more angsty emo bullshit. That they somehow ended up being umbrella-ed under the same genre moniker is a cruel joke of the universe.

And I would take a new PST or MOTB 1000 times over WL2, POE, FO:BOS and other retarded party creation games and most of the people would agree with me.

Maybe go play strategy games for those needs? I just recently bought Total War warhammer and it fucking plays just like you described. I would also recommend starcraft 2 for your resource management needs.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
most of the people would agree with me.

1. Without doubt. Selective breeding to maximize decline has run rampart in videogames for almost quarter of a century.

Maybe go play strategy games for those needs?

2. So-called "RPGs" are a subgenre of strategy games invented specifically for those needs back in 1974.

1. Would you anitisocial retarded fuck survive selective breeding? Not exactly mister universe are you?
2. Thanks for history leson.

duanth123

Arcane
And I would take a new PST or MOTB 1000 times over WL2, POE, FO:BOS and other retarded party creation games and most of the people would agree with me.

1. Would you anitisocial retarded fuck survive selective breeding? Not exactly mister universe are you?

It seems pretty retarded to believe InXile possesses the ability to create a PST or MOTB, notwithstanding the extremely low probabilities involved should an accomplishment even be hypothetically possible.

Update 1: inXile developer Eric Schwarz has issued a statement on the Wasteland 3 forums:

In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.​
I'm sure they would have said this right away if it were the case, but at least they're planning on adding that option in. I'd prefer making my full party of rangers at the start but this is fine.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
and most of the people would agree with me.

Wow, impressive, but what am I supposed to do with this information?

Listen, why don't you go back to sucking on VD's dick? Or are you still mad with him?

You should write it down on a large chunk of cardboard and then shove it where the sun don't shine. News flash I have a right to suck any dick I want whenever I want, be it VD's or anyone else's. Besides what's up the fascination with dicks rads. Are you feeling repressed?

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

It seems pretty retarded to believe InXile possesses the ability to create a PST or MOTB, notwithstanding the extremely low probabilities involved should an accomplishment even be hypothetically possible.

And what are the odds of Inxile creating a very good tactical game with party creation?

naossano

Cipher
I find both silly to say that either party creation or companion is the way to go and the other is pure garbage. I prefer having some games with companions, some games with party creation and some games that allows both. The way i see it, the current wave of indie games aren't about making the hypothetical best game in the world, but providing choices to players that have different tastes, in the world of AAA which every new AAA game is the clone to the last one. Those game aren't necessary bad, there are just clones, and if you happen to don't like their fornula, indie is the way to go. But not everyone like the same kind of indie. There should be some for each kind of players. So i am more for the WL formula with 4 party members and 3 companions, not because it is the best there is, but because it is different than most other games and provide alternative.

BTW, my favorite follower system was in Jagged Alliance 2. It isn't party creation nor RPG. They could have more depth, you don't chooser their stats, but you have a large choices, each have their quirks and personality, they could turn on you or on each other, you have to pay them or a regular basis or they just leave, and some have a small involvement in quests or encounters. They just don't follow you blindly and stay themselves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom