Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Pathologic Tabletop Game

Lucky

Arcane
Upcoming tabletop game focused on PvP and based on Pathologic by Ice-Pick Lodge and CapsLock Games. I haven't heard of the latter before, but I'm interested to see they're able to translate the spirit of the game to the board version. To be released somewhere this spring, though you'll probably have to order it if you're interested since it's unlikely to see a wide release.

Cards on the Table

It’s about time we put the cards on the table.

No, we’re not talking about that thing in the dungeon; it’s not supposed to be talked about. We’re merely referring to the Pathologic Tabletop game—or rather The Pathologic Tabletop Game that Gets Released This Spring and is Totally Finding Its Way into the Hands of the Eligible Backers and Everyone Else Who Wants It. (Or TPTGGRTSTFIWHEBEEWWI, as we like to call it.)

Having started as a side project and a mildly original backer reward, Pathologic Tabletop has grown to become its own thing. Ice-Pick Lodge provided general vision, art direction, and texts, but the game itself was developed by CapsLock Games—our partners and friends, who came up with the idea in the first place. We would have never dared invade the dark and twisted world of tabletop games without their boldness; and so it’s about time we told you where it has lead us.

SDPjFdH.jpg

Pathologic Tabletop is loosely based on its videogame namesake; save for the fact that there are fewer Bound (Adherents; Wards; For-Crying-Out-Loud-Can-You-Choose-ONE-Name-For-’Em), it follows the same general idea. Three healers, one Plague—and a town filled with brilliant and desperate people wondering what they have done to deserve this.

The game was designed for 2-4 players. The number of doctors can vary, but one of the players always represents the Sand Plague itself. ”Represents” is a tricky word though; while not necessarily corporeal, the Plague definitely has a strong personality; it’s not really “represented”, but rather proactive. Unlike the videogame, in Pathologic Tabletop it’s you who decides where and how exactly it strikes.

And you will have to think on your feet, since a typical session takes 1-1.5 hours, and any player, be they the Plague or a doctor, will need to do a lot in that timeframe.

Oh yes, by the way; we may have failed to mention that Pathologic Tabletop is mostly a PvP game. Although “PvP” is also a tricky word, so more on that below.

GopOoBF.jpg

Asymmetry
The game is balanced asymmetrically. The Plague’s gameplay is very different from the doctors’, while each of the three also has their own perks and strong suits. Their goals are also different.

Basically, you begin the game with the Town sleepy, but full of healthy people. Each healer has an agenda; their goal is to collect a certain amount of evidence and prove that their way of overcoming the plague is superior to the others’. To do that they need to fulfill missions, seizing the opportunities that the course of life provides—while the sleepiness is dispelled and people around them begin to die. (New missions are unlocked each turn and serve as the PvE part of the game.)

erZBUtz.png

Each healer also has three Wards (i.e. Bound people; i.e. Adherents; i.e. don’t worry, the rest of the names are consistent with the Classic HD translation), who they have to take care of. As with the video game though, these people refuse to sit on their hands, preferring to jump into the action; they can complete missions too—providing you with crucial evidence. The game’s map represents the town, so sometimes it may be handy to send someone else in your stead—perhaps they’re simply closer to the mission location, or perhaps you need that for a subtle strategic gambit (e.g.: feeding an opponent’s Ward to the Plague).

As a doctor, you’ll have to think twice before sacrificing someone else’s Ward to the Plague (even though it establishes your superiority over their obviously deluded methods). First of all, Wards can provide you with resources and free hands (you can use another doctor’s Wards as means to your end, so they are all your allies—after a fashion). But more importantly, any dead Ward can spell another step towards the Plague’s victory.

While the healers are busy with petty squabbling and plotting, each so fond of their ego that they only accept a single kind of victory—that is, the victory achieved in their own way, the Plague’s plan is graceful in its simplicity.

Kill people.

Kill. Them. All.

…Actually, that’s not true. Each healer has three Wards (so there are nine total). The Plague only needs to kill one Ward of each healer, selected randomly at the beginning of the game and known only to the Plague itself. So its goal is more like:

Kill people.

Kill. Three. People.

The Plague can choose its modus operandi as it sees fit though—no one’s stopping it from indulging in a senseless bloody massacre. It’s not like it can’t kill people who are not on its hit list. Just not doctors themselves.

To sum it up, each doctor tries to get enough “mission complete” points and secure their personal victory. The Plague wreaks havoc and brings death.

The people themselves wince, remembering that one night when they decided that staying to live in this town is probably a good idea.

tH97UrL.png

Abilities
The healers’ playstyles are also different, which is represented by them having special decks with cool abilities to throw in the Plague’s face. Or in each other’s faces, which is arguably more fun.

The Bachelor is famous for his administrative prowess… which is to say, he’s good at manipulating people. His abilities mostly influence the Wards and the availability of districts.

The Haruspex is the master of resources—he always sits on a pile of them, ready to complete any resource-heavy mission in the blink of an eye; him knowing shortcuts to move faster serves to aid that even further.

The Changeling can hinder other healers’ progress and manipulate the poisonous traces of the Plague itself.

Finally, the Plague has the coolest perk available in the game: it’s slow, but completely invisible to other players. It doesn’t even have a token to represent it on the board, writing its movements down into a special notebook instead. It can manifest itself at will, but aside from that its communication with the healers mostly boils down to them desperately trying to track the beast—to avoid it or to strike back, whichever is more appropriate.

ubDc5js.png

Atmosphere
Remember how we said that Pathologic Tabletop is a “tricky” PvP? That’s because it is indeed tricky.

The game has but one winner; if you’re a healer, but a different healer succeeds, you’re left with nothing to show. The Plague, however, is so irrevocably lethal that in order to have a shot at the game at all, the rest will have to cooperate. Which leads to a delicate balance with someone backstabbing someone else sooner rather than later—and the rest is roleplaying.

Pathologic Tabletop is a social game. You’ll have to talk, trying to sway other players to your side (at least for one mission! please!), hatch a plot together and cooperate to complete a mission that hurts everyone while active. And if you feel that you’re losing, you’ll also have to decide which you like better: having another doctor grab the victory—or letting the Plague burn it all to ashes. What kind of person are you?

It’s not like you wanted to be invited to play in this company ever again.

…and the Rest
Pathologic Tabletop is mechanically robust. There are a number of the game’s aspects that we have barely touched (the Plague’s strains and Blockade; the healers’ Pacts; the quarantine and the whole resource management angle; etc)—but hopefully you’ve gotten the general gist.

Here’s the same gist without needless verbosity—with bullet points:

• 2-4 players;
  • a session takes 1-1.5 hours;
  • PvP with cooperation elements and social gameplay;
  • asymmetrical: the Plague plays very differently;
  • three doctors with various abilities;
  • the doctors need to complete missions swiftly and smartly;
  • the Plague needs to kill people while keeping its stealth advantage;
  • the town’s map totally resembles its videogame counterpart;
  • there will be shouting.
The game is available for pre-order via the Pathologic Backer Portal. You can throw it on top of your general order—and if the tabletop game is the only thing you’re interested in, simply select any tier; then in “Choose Tier” in the Dashboard select “no reward” and proceed to select the tabletop game as an add-on.

After the release, it will first be delivered to the people who have already pre-ordered it. It will also be available in some shops, although we doubt that we’ll be able to deliver it to many retail vendors outside of Russia—if at all. Actually, if you believe that you can help us out with distributing Pathologic Tabletop in Europe/North America/other regions, please contact tabletop@ice-pick.com!

In any case, buying online will always be available to everyone.

And, unlike before, you’re not buying a cat in the bag now, since the cards are already on the table. See the video below to witness the actual cards.

(The trailer features the beta version of the game and is not completely representative of its final quality. Which is to say, the tokens will have actual faces instead of Tragedians on them—and this is not the only difference. We just can’t help being a bit mysterious to the very end. Thank you for your kind understanding of our unfortunate addiction.)

http://pathologic-game.com/blog/en/cards-on-the-table/

Lucky

Arcane
They made a post about it.

Top of the Chain

And so it is here. Not Pathologic itself, mind you, but the next best thing: its tabletop counterpart. The production is complete; the tabletop game is ready to be shipped.

tabletop-1024x731.jpg

It has an awful lot of small thingies, see? That explains the production time

Actually, if you’re an eligible backer, you must have already received an e-mail informing you of this. If you haven’t, please check if the e-mail specified in your Backer Portal Dashboard is correct; and while you’re at it, do make sure that the address listed there is correct as well, since that is where the tabletop will be delivered to.

Translating something as complex and intricate as Pathologic into a different medium is a challenging task—especially since tabletop games do warrant a certain degree of simplification. One the one hand, we had the creators of the original on the team, making this Pathologic as faithful to the core vision as possible; on the other, the new Pathologic video game has always been top priority for the Ice-Picks, so we had to get creative and find opportune moments to snatch bits and pieces of content from them. This made the development slightly longer than expected, and for that we apologize.

Then again, we are happy to announce that Pathologic Tabletop ended up exactly as we envisioned it—while faithful to the original, it is very much its own thing, accessible to the players who are not acquainted with the video game. For example, you won’t find the portrait art for the character tokens anywhere else; it’s actually concept art produced for the modellers that wouldn’t have seen the light of day under different circumstances.

Pathologic the tabletop game will be available for purchase to non-backers too. Actually, you can get it right now on the Backer Portal; and if you do so before the end of week, you’ll be included in the first shipment wave.

Those who have ordered the tabletop will receive further instructions by e-mail. The game will be shipped by Russian Post with the help of Cardplace, a tabletop game store. Sending off all parcels may take up to a month, not counting delivery time. As soon as the delivery is sent, you’ll receive its tracking number and will get the opportunity to stare longingly at the tabletop making its way in your general direction.

As for the game’s retail availability, please stay tuned.

One thing we can tell you though is that we have a lot of completely packed boxes on our hands here, and will do our very best to make sure each of them finds a pair of loving hands.

Looks good, hope it plays good too.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the scenes from that video has shown a box with "Typrop", does that mean there will be a The Void tabletop too?

Lucky

Arcane
One of the scenes from that video has shown a box with "Typrop", does that mean there will be a The Void tabletop too?

If you pauze at 1:01, you can tell that the bottom box has pictures of the other Ice-Pick Lodge games on its outer sides (Knock-Knock is there too, but not Cargo!), so it's not an existing The Void game.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So, I got a call on Thursday while at work:

Whisky: Hello?

Voice: А ну, чики-брики и в дамки!

Whisky: Uh, what?

Voice: You do not speak Russian?

Whisky: No.

Voice: Oh, this is Canada Post. You've got a package from Russia it looks like.

So, thanks to Friday being a stat holiday, I just picked it up at the post office.

m0X7jhT.jpg

And yeah, it's probably the most CHEEKI BREEKI package I've ever received.

pbgfJk4.jpg

I'm so glad I got this in one piece. I can't wait to try it out.

Just for reference, I never got my Wasteland II rewards. So, a handful of Muscovite indy-devs who outright said, "For non-Russians, we will be shipping by Russian Post...it will hopefully reach you eventually, but it will probably take a very long time," were more successful at delivering physical rewards than Deep Silver.

b908g1a.jpg

Someone already called playing the Sand Plague.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
1oLPwCc.jpg

Played it with the boyfriend this evening. I was worried that it would be just a flash in the pan adaptation of a game I really like, but I think they did a hell of a job on this. We switched turns as the Plague and the Healer (With 1 vs 1 it doesn't matter which Healer) and it was really a lot of fun. He never played Pathologic and seemed to really get into the mood of the game and started asking about the Lore and characters a lot.

The rules for just two players make the game more simple and when it's just one-on-one with the Plague there's less subtlety to the strategies as you must be as aggressive as possible. I'm going to try and get my friends together so we can play with a full crowd; I expect competing with the other healers will make things even better.

Lucky

Arcane
I got my own copy a while back as well. Played it with skeptical friends and found it to be a a surprisingly fun game, that doubles as a decent introduction to the videogame. The competitive elements are a pretty big part of the enjoyment, so you'll definitely want to get together 4 people for maximum backstabbing.

Whisky

The Solution
I got my own copy a while back as well. Played it with skeptical friends and found it to be a a surprisingly fun game, that doubles as a decent introduction to the videogame. The competitive elements are a pretty big part of the enjoyment, so you'll definitely want to get together 4 people for maximum backstabbing.

Finally got a chance to play it with four people. I haven't played a boardgame in a long time that managed to make everyone so paranoid. The players all completely panicked when I knocked off 2/3 of my hit list so fast, right after they dicked around and un-quarantined a bunch of wards just to piss other players off. They worked together for the last turn but were panicking so much they failed to calculate where I was and moved the wrong ward to safety.

For extra fun, load up the Pathologic soundtrack on a playlist. Everytime I play it switches to the plague district music when I kill someone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom