Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Void from Ice-Pick Lodge

Lucky

Arcane
Eh, why didn't you just post it here? It's a pretty old thread and the Russian/Polish titles are less well known, plus it's not an adventure game (more of a survival game). I'll quote it and the necro prior to that because the Tension/Turgor/Void distinction is pretty interesting.

:necro:

Seeing that this thread had mainly been concerned with the original version of Turgor/Tension/The_Void, I gathered it to be a more appropriate place for the information below, than "The Random Adventure Game News Thread" in which that information had originally been posted in. Some of the information repeats a lot of the points already stated in this thread, and some of it is entirely new (in the context of this thread's discussion). I hope that all the new bits will be of at least some use to the visitors of this sub-forum and to the admirers of the Ice-Pick_Lodge's games.

I will start with the general information. Both because it repeats some of the points from this thread's discussion and because it was exactly that way in the original thread, I will use spoiler tags for the whole tl;dr. So, here goes:

Many of you, I gather, are aware of a Russian videogame developing company, named Ice-Pick Lodge. They made Pathologic, The Void, Cargo, Knock-Knock - and are now kickstarting Pathologic remake (which they hope to finish by November 2016). Some of you may also remember that the game called The Void also has a couple of variations to its name. What I mean, is that in different places it gets called Turgor, Tension or, well, The Void.

Now this is where it gets tricky. In fact, there are not three titles, but four (2*2): Тургор (Turgor), Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour), Tension and The Void. There is a reason for that discrepancy in naming. The reason is that:
1) In Russian-speaking countries, the game was called differently than in Western ones.

2) There are two very different versions of the game itself.
Actually, about the titles of the game. Of these four:

1) Тургор (Turgor) and Tension correspond to the initial version of the game. Тургор (Turgor) is the title by which the game was known in Russian-speaking countries - and Tension is the title for the sort of "international release" that game saw (it only was published in Poland by Techland and, if mobygames is to be believed, was also published in Brazil - it was also translated to English in-house, although that translation was never officially released). This initial version was released on April 17, 2008, and was developed using the funding from a Russian publishing/distributing house, called "Noviy Disk" ("New Disc/CD").

2) Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour) and The Void correspond to the heavily reworked/remixed version of the game. Again, Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour) is the name, by which the game was known in Russian-speaking countries - and The Void is the title of the international release (now proper). Actually, the international release was the whole point for this version, as it was developed for Atari and using the funding from Atari, and this version is exactly why the first version of the game, Tension, has never seen its proper worldwide release. This version was released on May 28, 2009 (more than a year after the first version of the game!) in Russian-speaking countries, and in October, 2009 - internationally.
From what I know (I've only played the original version of the game, Tension) - these versions of the game differ heavily. The engine got reworked, the gameplay got heavily reworked, the storyline was completely torn down, and a different, much less ambiguous and much more scripted and directed storyline, was made instead. The differences were apparently so fundamental that:

1) They facilitated the second release of the game in Russia, as a new standalone title only a year after the release of the original one (which in itself created a sort of violent backlash from the audience towards IPL), as it was impossible to make a patch from Tension to The Void, and keep it under 2Gb (compared to the 4Gb data of the games themselves). The saves, naturally, were incompatible as well.

2) Almost nobody in the Russian fan community of the game considers "The Void" a purely incremental or even clearly superior (or inferior at that) version of the game. Overall, it is widely considered, that the original version of the game is more artistic, atmospheric and :obviously:, while The Void constitutes a better game. Moreover, it is still customary for Russian-speaking fans of the game to direct newbs towards playing Tension first, since it is widely considered that IPL games were always kinda of 'eh' gameplay-wise (although not in the "interactive movie" or even "walking simulator" sorts of ways, since for their games interactivity and gameplay mechanics, however shit one might consider them, are absolutely crucial), so if you want to play one, you probably want to do that because of artistry and Teh Experience. Even Nikolay Dybowski (the guy who "invented" and wrote both Tension and The Void) got conflicting statements. As in first claiming that The Void was not expanded, but actually reduced version of the game content/script-wise, and that he wasn't happy with it at all (in contrast to the programming guys from IPL, who almost unanimously considered The Void a "Developer's Cut" version of the game, and were happy with it much more with the original one), and that he only did it because it was necessary for his company. On the other hand, while answering a question recently, as to why The Void has such a different and much more explicit storyline, he told that the themes from the original game continued to develop in his head even after the release of the the original game, and what we see in The Void is the result of that. Of course he also stated, that Turgor (he actually meant both version viewed together) is a bonkers and WTF game, about which nobody in the studio (including him) still fully understands just what exactly the fuck it even is. As well as that he considers both versions his personal creative failure, as the game was supposed to be purely non-verbal (as a gameplay-centered interactive painting) - and that the Sisters shouldn't have been allowed to talk at all - but they just didn't manage to pull it off, at all (and no, he says that Turgor remake - as in Pathologic Remake - is out of the question, since he is sooo done with Turgor, and since two versions of the game are more than enough already).
Anyways, the point is, if you've played The Void only (which you probably did, considering where I'm writing this), you've only played a redacted and gamified version of Turgor (as a concept with two different implementations, that is, Tension and The Void), which has a sizeable controversy concerning it in Russian-speaking countries. The original version, Tension, is very different, and is arguably closer to what Turgor (as, again, a concept) was originally meant to be.
Thus, we get to the main point of this message. Which is that the English subtitle/interface translation patch for the original version of the game, that has already been mentioned in this thread, is freely available for download in THIS THREAD ( DIRECT LINK | MIRROR LINK ) - and yes, naturally, it will allow you to play the original version of the game even if you don't happen to know either Russian or Polish.

Two things should be noted about the whole affair:

Note1: This patch is based upon the in-house translation of the game made by IPL itself, namely, by Alexey Luchin (The LxR). Proof.

Note2: You still need to have the original version of the game in order to patch it and play it. The Void simply won't do. And no, sorry, but (after I was reminded of the rules which you are supposed to stick to onto these forums) it is of no concern of mine just how you would manage to get your hands on the original version of the game. Although any information about the ways using which you could legally acquire the original 2008 version of the game (in any possible form - disc or digital, Russian or Polish) nowadays, would be appreciated (I also want to remind you that discussing or providing the information about the illegal ways of acquiring the game - as I did earlier - is forbidden on these forums altogether. If you happen to know such an information, good for you, but do not post it here).
Now, to the point of what exactly you should do with this information. Here is a sort of mini-guide concerning various patches a fixes to the original version of the game and the order of their application.

1. Install the game. IF you happen to be in the possession of a modern GPU with the in-built PhysX acceleration, and IF the installation lets you skip installing Ageia PhysX drivers, skip it. IF you are, again, in the possession of a modern GPU with the in-built PhysX acceleration, and IF the installer forces you to install Ageia PhysX driver, you will need to uninstall it later manually, and to install PhysX Legacy driver instead.

2. Patch the game. If you are in the possession of the original Russian DVD version of Тургор/Turgor/Tension, use this 1.01 patch from Tension/The_Void homepage. If you are in the possession of the Russian digital download version of Тургор/Turgor/Tension, use this version of 1.01 patch from NoviyDisk's homepage. If you are in the possession of the Polish version of Tension, published by Techland, then there are no patches for it that I'm aware of. The only thing I can say, is that if you are lucky, it is already patched.
After this step, all the following ones can be applied in any order.

3. There is a hotfix, created by one of the developers of the game, Alexey Luchin(The LxR), which needs to be applied to the already patched version of the game, and which irons out a minor but fairly annoying bug in it. Here is the LINK to the original forum thread about it (in Russian), and here is the DIRECT LINK to the hotfix itself. The contents need to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that the file tree_sister.bin would appear in \data\scripts\.

3a. There is also another unofficial mod, created by the same person (Alexey Luchin= The LxR), that serves as a nude patch for the game, eliminating all the "butterflies" around all the strategic parts. It is known to introduce graphical glitches to the game. I list it here for the completeness' sake only. Here is the LINK to the original thread (again, in Russian), and, since the all the direct links in it are down, here is the MIRROR LINK to the fix itself. Again, it needs to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that the file girl.xml would appear in \data\Properties\World\.

4. Apply the English subtitle patch (created, again, by Alexey Luchin = The LxR). Here is, again, the LINK to one of the IPL forum threads about it, and here are the DIRECT LINK and MIRROR LINK to the patch itself. Once again, it needs to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that all the necessary files would appear in \data\Properties\Strings\lang_russian\.
That would be all.

There is however a little something extra I want to share with you. Some editions of Russian DVD versions of both Turgor/Tension and Turgor:The_Voice_of_Colour/The_Void were bundled with the bonus discs containing music, art, interviews, etc. I do not know, whether the contents of Tension and The Void bonus discs happen to differ (other than in terms of music, since The Void bonus disc contains some remastered musical tracks that were made specifically for The Void) - but what I DO know is that IPL were kind enough to just share the contents of The Void bonus disc with Teh Internetz. Here is the LINK to page from the original Tension/The_Void homepage with the announcement (second newspiece from above), and here is the DIRECT LINK to the torrent file, hosted on the said official homepage. Extra bonus - the English subtitles (created by Halfgild Wynac) which you can use with some of the videos from said bonus disc: LINK to the IPL forum thread with the links and discussion concerning said subtitles.

The game has three titles, the name depends where it was released.

WyCufbU.jpg
dBRZTcM.jpg
5oFISZj.jpg

Here's Polish edition:
967B18A460D241E40B4F5BD0A7DC7931EF9E73B9

Bonus DVD official torrent includes artworks, soundtrack, promotional videos etc:
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8918

If the game is too difficult, then here are additional easy modes:
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9270

Turns out they did not. The differences between different language versions are not limited to just the language used. English version seems to have much shorter and "down to the point" dialogues, whereas Polish version is written in a more beautiful language. Here's a screenshot of the same thing in Polish and English version (you don't have to know both languages to notice something glaring):
Tension, the Polish edition:

91E68251054EAE826F042D219173B52648D5A872

The Void, the English edition:

947739C58C5671B09F129EC091368508F61C3BBD

It's not a rare thing. Actually, all "lines" are much shorter in English!

The colors used in some parts of the game are different too. Here's Uta's grotto:
Polish:
2AF3BCCAC48FDEAAAFBBA94F2CF12D153A2A2550

English:

7CD1DB9F0915338568544EBD57A1D9652D0B7866

I just begun playing Polish version today, and I have completed English one two months ago. Therefore I probably haven't seen most of the differences between them, but they are apparent right from the start. It's clear the English version is rather half-arsed quickjob than the Polish one. Perhaps The Void is a reworked game, but it seems to be reworked in a bad way. If anybody has played the game in Russian or German it'd be nice if you left the comment!

The annoying part of the differences between these versions is that you can only get the German/English (The Void) on GoG and Gamergate (English only on Gamergate), so it's a hassle to get the full picture of what Ice-Pick Lodge was trying to do. Myself, I've still yet to get my hands on either the Russian or Polish version, though I'd really like to get a look at either or both.

Lucky

Arcane

Ah, that's a shame - this game all about the atmosphere. If you do play it again, maybe try it with the medium or easy patch I linked to. The tension from survival is a big part of the atmosphere, but that sweet spot where it's tense without taking you out of the game varies per person. It's at least worth it to explore the different chambers and get a look at the boss fights.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Own the Steam version of this, but I am rather tempted to get russian version with the english subtitles+interface. I hear they cut a lot of dialogues for the english version.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Own the Steam version of this, but I am rather tempted to get russian version with the english subtitles+interface. I hear they cut a lot of dialogues for the english version.
They did, I've given an example there

Lucky

Arcane
They did, I've given an example there

It's quoted above dude. :lol: What's your experience with it so far? Would you say that one of them is the superior version, or are they clearly separate games?

Speaking of the script, the tidbit that iqzulk mentions of their original plan for the sisters being that they should have been mute makes me wonder how much of that idea made its way into the versions we have now. The muteness of the player character would have looked completely different in that context and the movements and poses of the sisters would have been the only way of meaningfully communicating with the player, plus the importance given to it in the setting makes more sense if being mute is associated with the sisters. Conveying anything concrete that way might have been too difficult though, although the mental image of what it might have been like is still quite striking. It certainly would have added a lot to brother(hunter)/sister dichotomy.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From wikipedia:
Editions and titles
The game was released in several countries under different titles and with minor and major changes.

• Turgor — the initial Russian release, on April 17, 2008. This edition is available in the form of a two DVD jewel box, a gift edition and a digital download. The bonus disk contains a full soundtrack, all the trailers ever made for the game, Nikolay Dybowskiy's recordings from KRI, a game music video about Pathologic, and artwork from the game. Though this edition was only released in Russian, there is an official subtitle patch available from one of the developers.
  • Tension — the working English title of the game and the official title in Poland. The Polish edition included the game disk, a bonus disk with a part of the soundtrack, a user manual, an official walkthrough and an artbook. This edition doesn't include the bonuses from the Russian version. Includes the first patch.
  • The Void (German edition) — this is the westernized edition of the game released on March 28, 2009, that has major differences from the initial release, such as a completely re-written story. The bonus disk contains a re-mastered soundtrack with new tracks, all trailers except video footage from KRI, Pathologic game music video, and artwork.
  • The Void (English edition) — the same as the German edition with the second patch. This edition was released in October 2009

I blame Germans.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

The Void is back on Steam:

The Void makes a glorious return to Steam. Now with trading cards, badges and stuff, because nothing screams “gamify me” like an artistic game about exploring your soul and creativity.

If you already own The Void on Steam or GOG, the Russian, German, and Polish versions will unlock for you automatically, and your Steam copy will be updated to make the cards and other shiny stuff available.

Please keep in mind that apart from us giving in to the colorful appeal of collectible Steam items, it’s still very much the same game—no fixes, no updates, nothing remastered. It was still released in 2009. The Sisters are still alluring and the Brothers, still grotesque. You know, the usual.

For those of you who might be curious, The Void was taken off Steam due to legal issues, that have now been resolved (which, as a bonus, allowed us to finally include the original Russian texts).

The Color of the Void is once again in your hands and hearts now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Does this mean I can officially play with Russian voiceover and English subtitles ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Konjad

Patron
The Void has been re-released on Steam and now includes all language versions. It's on a -81% sale too!

Lucky

Arcane
Does this mean I can officially play with Russian voiceover and English subtitles ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can, but it's not an in-game option, so you'll have to move around files to get it to work - these instructions should apply here. Keep in mind that the voice acting might not properly sync up with the subtitles if you do this.

Just so you know, this isn't the original Russian The Void from 2008, but the Russian version of the re-release from 2009. You won't see anything new by playing the Russian version.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Even if you play the "not removed from inventory" original russian version with the patch, just buy that one too. It's a damn steal at 1,99 and these guys deserve every penny.

Lucky

Arcane
So I checked, and apparently while the Russian version that got added is the 2009 re-release, the Polish version is actually the original Tension from 2008; GOG now also has a Polish version, so I assume the same applies there. That's a fairly big addition to make without any fanfare and I'm not having any problems getting it to run. I haven't gotten the English patch to work on it yet, though.

Same here. This is probably the one game I tried the hardest to like, it's a game I SHOULD like, but every time I play it I screw up my resources management in a way the only solution would be to restart it all from a much earlier save and apply what I finally understood, but I never have the patience to do so. Then months later I reinstall it but then I already forgot everything and will make the same mistakes again, repeating the cycle.

I'd suggest the same thing as I said above: give it a try with the medium difficulty patch. You'll have more leeway to make mistakes, which might make all the difference. I'm glad that there are no in-game difficulty settings so that you're pushed to play the game as intended, but I don't see a problem with tweaking your playing experience to what suits you best.

Konjad

Patron
The Void/Tension has been rereleased on Steam. It's on a cheap sale now. You can get it and it has 4 language versions: English, German, Polish and Russian. Obviously, English and German are the dumbed down version of the game. What is not obvious is that the Russian version is also the rereleased version of the game with reduced dialogues etc (the same as English and German ones). Therefore, the only original version is the Polish one. If you're a Pole then that's the end of the story, enjoy the game. However, if you don't speak Polish, then there's a work around. Download the game from Steam and set in the steam game options to use Polish version. Then follow this guide to install either Russian (VO and text) or English (just text) and enjoy the original version of the game.

(take note before infinitard removes my post again)

Urbanolo

Augur
The Void/Tension has been rereleased on Steam. It's on a cheap sale now. You can get it and it has 4 language versions: English, German, Polish and Russian. Obviously, English and German are the dumbed down version of the game. What is not obvious is that the Russian version is also the rereleased version of the game with reduced dialogues etc (the same as English and German ones). Therefore, the only original version is the Polish one. If you're a Pole then that's the end of the story, enjoy the game. However, if you don't speak Polish, then there's a work around. Download the game from Steam and set in the steam game options to use Polish version. Then follow this guide to install either Russian (VO and text) or English (just text) and enjoy the original version of the game.

(take note before infinitard removes my post again)

Bought this shit, thanks for the heads up

Arthandas

Liturgist
What about Polish translation of The Void? Is it dumbed down like the English one or is it reused from Tension?

Konjad

Patron
What about Polish translation of The Void? Is it dumbed down like the English one or is it reused from Tension?
If you bothered to read my review you would find your answer in the second paragraph :M Polish version is the original version of the game.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I bothered to read your review and you said nothing about the Polish translation of The Void. Everything you said about Polish version was in the context of Tension (original version) and I'm asking about The Void (remaster) which also has full Polish translation on Steam.

Since The Void has some altered mechanics and story elements, they could either reuse Tension's script and alter it to accommodate the changes or maybe there's a new translation for whatever reason. That's what I'm asking about.

Konjad

Patron
I bothered to read your review and you said nothing about the Polish translation of The Void. Everything you said about Polish version was in the context of Tension (original version) and I'm asking about The Void (remaster) which also has full Polish translation on Steam.

Since The Void has some altered mechanics and story elements, they could either reuse Tension's script and alter it to accommodate the changes or maybe there's a new translation for whatever reason. That's what I'm asking about.
The Steam version had 4 language versions: Russian, Polish, English and German.

Of those there are 'remastered': Russian, English and German (yeah, Russian is remastered).
The Polish version is the only 'original' one.
There are workarounds for Steam to play the original Russian version, which requires downloading the game in Russian, copying language files, removing the game and downloading in in Polish, then applying Russian language files over the Polish version of the game. It might have some issues and it will not work with English and German versions because the text and dialogues were much shortened and large parts were just cut out.

TL;DR:

Steam:
- Remastered: Russian, English, German
- Original: Polish

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ok, thanks. I didn't know whether I should buy Tension (the digital version is drm free btw) or play Void in potato, but since the translation is the same I'll choose Void.

Konjad

Patron
The game is 2€ on Steam due to Halloween Sale, so if you've been waiting to get it cheap now's the chance.

Ok, thanks. I didn't know whether I should buy Tension (the digital version is drm free btw) or play Void in potato, but since the translation is the same I'll choose Void.
so... did you play it?

Arthandas

Liturgist
I did, but I couldn't get into it. It's interesting for sure.
I love Pathologic though :)

v1rus

Arcane

Steam:
- Remastered: Russian, English, German
- Original: Polish

I followed one of the old guides to get subtitles on the original russian version; worked like a charm. Still, the subtitles are terribly out of sync (as they are supposed to be), so, I've been wondering, do you know if some kind of a syncing update happened?

Ivan

Arcane
Just started this and love the tone and atmosphere of the game but the slow walking speed is killing me. Is the whole game like this, or will i be able to traverse the maps easier when i have more hearts/color?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Just started this and love the tone and atmosphere of the game but the slow walking speed is killing me. Is the whole game like this, or will i be able to traverse the maps easier when i have more hearts/color?
Filling yourself with azure increases your speed. Don't remember if the game has a run button to increase even further.

But yeah, there is quite a lot of walking, and some of the maps are pretty big. Try to enjoy the sights.

Darko

Educated
Imagine playing this in virtual reality. Drawing shapes with controllers would also be less awkward than with a mouse.
Perhaps something like vorpX could work, if not now then maybe in the future?

Wrote a tiny guide if any of you were to install it anytime soon:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232923423
Are there any spoilers in this? I've tried playing this game several times without getting far but since this is a story heavy game I don't want to ruin the experience by reading up on everything. I had the same problem with Pathologic, it was impossible to figure out in what order to do things and where to go in some cases.

Konjad

Patron
Wrote a tiny guide if any of you were to install it anytime soon:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232923423
Are there any spoilers in this? I've tried playing this game several times without getting far but since this is a story heavy game I don't want to ruin the experience by reading up on everything. I had the same problem with Pathologic, it was impossible to figure out in what order to do things and where to go in some cases.
it's just technical stuff, nothing about in-game. it's how to change resolution, fov, remaster to original etc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom