Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah this game being so obscure makes me think it never got a full release.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Played Ancient Aliens with Brutal Doom 20b on coop last night. Even better with Gorilla Glue and the Vision Quest.

baturinsky

Arcane
Inquisitor 3 looks great, but boring fetch quests is not the way I want to play my Doom. Also, I could not find how to heal back 25hp that respawning rats ate.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I just finished Doomed Space Wars by Paul Corfiatis. As usual with Paul, it's another excellent megawad. Huge maps with a star wars theme (basically dark forces), many secrets, big enemy count, but no slaughterfests. Special mention to the nice original soundtrack, which is very star wars-like. I only found one of the 3 secret maps (it was a good map) and about half of the secrets.

Doomed-Space-Wars-04.png

Doomed-Space-Wars-23.png

Doomed-Space-Wars-19.png

Doomed-Space-Wars-26.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The first part (maps 1-12) of Eternal Doom was great, but from there on it was decline, with more variable quality of level design, and increasingly annoying switch hunts.
So I called it a day when I got stuck on map 20.

I don't know what the concensus is amongst the Doom fanatics, but personally I think they should have left the mod complete at map 12. 32 maps is just too much, when most of them are huge maps with too few enemies and too many switches. But there were some great visuals in this MegaWAD. Not the best gameplay, but probably the best looking Doom WADs I've played so far.

Incidentally I though Sverre Kvernmo's maps in Eternal Doom were far superior to his Master Levels maps.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

This year's Cacowards are up:
http://www.doomworld.com/23years/index.php
I'm not at all surprised that Inquisitor 3 wasn't mentioned, given its late release and its huge size and thus the time needed to properly judge it, but I'm disapointed by the complete lack of mentions for Legacy of Heroes.
Anyway, 'twas a fruitful yer for dooming.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I dig out Wrath of Cronus 1.8a and found that it work with Doom. Good thing alternative fire modes are here otherwise dealing with projectile enemies would be nuts.
edit - if you play on Doom with WoCh then one feature will not work. There will be no shops and money drops (with random chance to drop purses (25-50gold) from monsters.

That D444m art triggered me something fierce.
what "art" you're talking about? Shit looks so generic using word "art" have no sense cause it's Generic Incarnation.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
Secret map from inquisitor 3 is legit surprising, it's like a tribute to Operation Rheingold

I'm not sure if he intended it for this or if it was meant for Blade of Agony. It does seem to be consciously imitating visuals of later Rojas TCs with added GZDoom geometry, compared to much more detailed and polished visuals of BoA or rest of Inquisitor 3. P surprising and unexpected in any case, maybe it was meant to be friendly nod towards WolfenDoom given that Inquisitor 3 and BoA E1 were developed at almost same time.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Crispy Doom has been updated to 3.5. There is one major feature, being the support for extended savegames which can now properly save some data that used to be wiped on reload (such as the extra monsters, like those raised by the Arch-Vile) and it also adds a check to see if the savegame you’re attempting to load is really compatible with your current IWAD/PWAD configuration. And there are also some improvements and bugfixes as usual.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
New Chocolate Doom version, now updated to 2.3.0. Quite a few new features, some of them already implemented in Crispy Doom, as well as various bugfixes for all versions of the Doom games (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife).

Riskbreaker

Promising. I am slightly concerned about that open, arena-like feel of the maps in that trailer of his, especially since he complained about his mapping abilities in his zdoom forum thread.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Promising. I am slightly concerned about that open, arena-like feel of the maps in that trailer of his, especially since he complained about his mapping abilities in his zdoom forum thread.
On the other hand, I noticed a larger emphasis on dodging enemy projectiles with some enemies firing more interesting patterns than a simple fireball in your direction, in my experience tight spaces and lotsa bullets to dodge don't mesh well together, but level layout is not something to be disregarded entirely. This direction would place a larger focus on enemy placement/usage/behavior, which I can't really gauge in terms of quality and execution from this trailer alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom