Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Uthgard 2.0 (Classic DAoC freeshard) - Re-Launching on 2017/01/06

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
In case some folks missed it since it's been quite some time.

Uthgard is coming back with a vengeance this Friday.
Almost 100% classic DAoC freeshard deadset on staying true to patch level 1.65 and basically saying "fuck off" to any quality of life custom changes that are not appropriate for that patch level. In one word: real classic server.

What's different?
They're gone from DAoC portal and are doing their own thing now, with their own branching of the code that's been optimized to handle (properly) a decent population without server lag (1-2k). They got their own launcher, their own anti cheat and will fuck you up without mercy should you try dual logging or running buffbots.
They've been through a long beta period to iron things out and make the server as true to 1.65 patch level as they could. If you can prove something is not as it should be for patch level 1.65 and they can do it, they most likely will. But if you cry like a baby because you can't see group member status on your group panel or don't like single use potions, you can just get the fuck out.

https://uthgard.org/
Find the how to on your own terms and consider it a "retardo test" that you need to pass to play there or something. :)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Alright, I'm game. I've read too much about this game to never actually try it.

What are these options? Any way to see what they mean in pictures?

efaf3ab04c9224845d30fb70ef24f9f3.png

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Not just now since server's down until tomorrow's launch. I just keep "Full Classic" and Borderless Window personally but you can sort that shit out later, no game changer there really.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Looks like the server is down immediately after official launch.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Second attempt to play today.

9cdc12e7c8fa73f41c3ffd283c7bc958.png

Will take 2+ hours to log in.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Yea, 4k concurrent players, that a lot of people on a freeshard like this. Good fun though. Between this and EQ99, I'm pretty much set now :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started this (never played DAoC before) and I'm completely lost, what am I supposed to be doing? I chose Albion and went for the Acolyte. Do I have to mindlessly grind mobs to level up? I found a "quest" to kill some undead pigs on a farm, but he doesn't say where his farm is. Soooo?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I've always been wanting to try this, but never got past the first few hours.

Can OP specify what makes classic so much better than retail, besides being free-to-play? The usual WoWicifation? I heard the current DAoC is still the best RvR option there is.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Can OP specify what makes classic so much better than retail, besides being free-to-play?
It's good and not shit.

DISCLAIMER: This post is a queue post.
drRP93M.png

I just started this (never played DAoC before) and I'm completely lost, what am I supposed to be doing?
Open the LFG tool and look for a group. DAoC cannot be played solo. Ask for help. Socialize. Get on VC.

Do I have to mindlessly grind mobs to level up?
61843712.jpg

You want to hit lvl 20 ASAP and then transition into PvP Zones. Noone plays DAoC for PvE.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I've always been wanting to try this, but never got past the first few hours.
Can OP specify what makes classic so much better than retail, besides being free-to-play? The usual WoWicifation? I heard the current DAoC is still the best RvR option there is.

It's a feel so it's very hard to describe.

Personally, I love it (and EQ1999) because I'm old school MMO, among the few who love real meaning of MMO communities, with heroes and villains, legends and myths. To achieve this greatness, you need the pain of old school shit that push you toward grouping, talking to people, depending on others, etc. I'm not talking grind to grind ala japanese/asian shitfest, I'm just talking group cohesion, class roles, etc.
Live removed all that for ease of use changes, WoWfication as some say. Some people like it, I hate it personally and couldn't even play more than a couple hours on it, for free.

Classic is the best RvR shit anywhere, no doubt. Simple to understand (less crazy shit/abilities/buttons/potions/etc than after some addons) but it can range from insane 400 people zergs to 10 minutes long 8vs8 epic fights. Even stuck in 1.65 as Utghard 2.0 is, it's just so fucking cool: The roam, the group cohesion, the three realms concept. It's still in the early rush but if the population keeps somewhat at this level for some time, the RvR activity is going to be just insane! :)

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
As a note, they did some coding magic recently and have successfully raised the player cap to 4000 which means much smaller queues overall. It's very stable, lag free for now.

SI classes are included, but the SI game world is not yet ready. Devs say they will eventually bring it online but it will likely be a long time.

Realm abilities are standard 1.65. Det only for pure melee classes etc.

Wulfstand

Prophet
How is the project going btw? Is it relatively bug-free?
I'd be willing to at least try it, which class should i play as a nordicman? Was thinking on picking the hunter. Am generally interested in a dps class that's viable, obviously.

I was watching a streamer play it and the impression I got was that there's quite a lot of grinding to be had until you hit level cap, and only then does the wpvp fun begin. Is that true or am I getting the wrong idea?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
How is the project going btw? Is it relatively bug-free?
I'd be willing to at least try it, which class should i play as a nordicman? Was thinking on picking the hunter. Am generally interested in a dps class that's viable, obviously.

I was watching a streamer play it and the impression I got was that there's quite a lot of grinding to be had until you hit level cap, and only then does the wpvp fun begin. Is that true or am I getting the wrong idea?

Bug wise, it's very stable overall and haven't encountered any real bug personally. There's a public issue tracker accessible from the main site if you want to double check (and help report if needed).
This is not considered the "archer patch" but if hunter's are neat I think. Pet for adds (a bane of archers usually), good dps overall even for group play, stealth to some extent. Big downside are arrows as you'll need to be using the best of them as soon as possible, but that's costy and heavy.

Otherwise, it's kind of old school so everything is just grind in a way but that was before it was a grind for grind sake. There are quests with varying rewards and xp but they are a side bonus, not your main thing. As for RvR, high level is indeed where it's at overall though there are some BG skirmishes here and there but nothing "established" yet and usually not first characters (good gear, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom