Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest disappointments in your personal gaming history

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Empire: Total War. Loved the setting, loved the change to ranged-warfare. Game was beyond broken at release and never really improved. A lot like Whisky and BioWare, it destroyed all trust I had in the company and I haven't bought a title of theirs since.

Speaking of myself...

Empire basically wrecked my trust in them too. I was incredibly pumped for Empire, it looked great, the materials sounded great...and then the game came out.

But I was stupid enough to fall for people saying Shogun 2 was a return to form. It wasn't, dammit.

Still, I like the setting and the idea...sometimes I load it up and immediately regret it all over again.

Heechee

Liturgist
1. Battlecruiser 3000AD - Around the time when I was deeply immersed in my first proper RPG, the Daggerfall, enjoying the seemingly endless opportunities of its world, I learned of the Battlecruiser 3000AD, which promised similarly huge sandboxy experience but in spaaaace. I fucking dreamt about the game. Then it came out and crashed every few minutes on my PC. To this day I am not completely certain whether it was my lack of computer skills, or whether it was truly unplayable (the reports suggested it was the latter).

2. Alien versus Predator 2 - The first game was relatively fresh, the three races played very differently and each offered something interesting. The sequel was as generic as it gets. Very similar to the difference between Blood 1 and 2, also a great disappointment.

3. SiN - A generic shitty FPS, which I only remember because of the radical difference between the demo level (pretty good for its time) and the rest of the game (I never trusted demos after that one, so it was at least a learning experience).

4. Star Wars Galaxies - started as a decent MMORPG which reminded me a lot of the original Ultima Online, but was completely dumbed down by some expansion few months after release. It heralded things to come in the MMORPG industry.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pillars of Banality and Boreland 2. Both were boring and disappointing but Wasteland 2 takes the cake. Such a banal shit boring slogfest that the "I fell asleep on the keyboard" joke was dangerously close to being true.

Pillars at least looks nice visually and it will always amuse me in a way since I got it for free by telling a nigger joke on Codex. Suck it down, Cucksidian :dance:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Vanguard, Saga of Heroes.
I was amazed more people couldn't see how good it could be.
Exactly same boat here. I loved that game, but it was a weird love/hate relationship, and my time with the game was as troubled as the game itself. I played the beta and my first impressions were that it was a huge disappointment and that it would be for others too, because so many people had very high expectations, hoping for a modern and bigger budget version of EQ. In reality it was kind of more of the same, but with WoW style quest grinding which rubbed many of us the wrong way. But the classes were outstanding and the graphics were stunning, big world, lots of locations, lots to do. It was disappointing in many ways but I still loved to play it.

I liked the beta and then bought the game and talked my real life friends into getting it. To my surprise, they hated every minute of it. I couldn't believe that they complained about everything, constantly. Just constant whining, and dying, and failing, and more whining. We all played EQ together from release in 1999 and solidly for a good few years, so I thought they would be up for the challenge. But they had gone to WoW sometime around 2003 or whenever it came out, and I kept playing EQ on various early emulator servers. So Vanguard for me was an upgrade in most ways, but for them, it was buggy, gimpy, and they were not used to playing something that wasn't super slick and hand holdy. They couldn't believe a game could have so many bugs and performance problems, and they kept dying constantly by trying to run through the mobs instead of travelling cautiously. All it really took was weaving in and out of them, but my friends would just run straight through them and hope for the best, get beat down and die, and then get all depressed about having to run back to their tombstone and lose all that exp etc.. They both quit by about level 10, hardly seeing anything that the game had to offer. I kept playing by myself, later joined a guild, and was motivated by seeing the mid and higher levels, the flying mounts, the ships, and all the cool stuff I knew the game had and my friends never knew about. I also wanted to try all the cool classes.

But then a month or so later, the initial 150,000 players that tried it for the first month, were mostly gone. I felt like I was playing a ghost town game, and then they did a patch to the game which was terrible, it ruined the UI and some of the graphics, and it nerfed the one thing I liked about my class. I rage quit and didn't go back for years. I felt angry that I was one of the ones to stick with the game through all the other shit, but then they took it too far.

Over those few years while I was away, they tidied the game up a lot, and I kept going back to the game. They would do a free month and I'd play it for the month and then subscribe for another month or so after. But I hated soloing because the solo content was mostly boring as hell. Kill 20 blue monsters, then collect 20 skulls from the green snakes, then kill 40 of those weird lizards, etc. Some areas were terrible like that. I kept quitting but something kept dragging me back, I think it was just that the classes were so good and the combat was satisfying. A year or so later I had the brainwave to go back to the game and start multi boxing. It transformed the game. I played with a bard and shaman, paying for two subscriptions, but having some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. I could do any solo content easily and some group stuff as well. I later switched to a DK and Cleric and then again to DK and Druid, and that combo was so strong I could do most of the group content myself. I did Darguns Tomb questline all by myself with those 2 characters and loved every minute of it. Only the last fight was too hard for me to duo, but the community was awesome and someone came to help me do it. Then when the game went free to play, I started 6 boxing. By the end I had played every class to level 50 and done most of the quests in the game and seen everything up to level 50. I never went from 50+ because it sounded tedious, and for once I played an MMO on my own terms and loved it. I spent a fortune on Station Cash to buy things I wanted and to hopefully help support the game, and then those cunts shut the server down just a month later, taking all my money and gear with it. I would never forget and never forgive them for that, but they are gone now anyway.

p.s. In case you don't already know, the game will be back as an emulator:
http://vgoemulator.net/

But the progress is sloooooooow. I have been following it for a few years already and it is still a long way off. You can explore the world and auto attack stuff, but quests are only about 40% done and combat is about 5% done or something. I think we are looking at 2-3 more years until it is worth playing. But at least it will happen eventually.

Severian Silk

1. Battlecruiser 3000AD - Around the time when I was deeply immersed in my first proper RPG, the Daggerfall, enjoying the seemingly endless opportunities of its world, I learned of the Battlecruiser 3000AD, which promised similarly huge sandboxy experience but in spaaaace. I fucking dreamt about the game. Then it came out and crashed every few minutes on my PC. To this day I am not completely certain whether it was my lack of computer skills, or whether it was truly unplayable (the reports suggested it was the latter).
I couldn't figure out the interface, so barely played it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You guys mentioned a lot of the important recent ones. Dragon Age, PoE, Oblivion, etc. But for me there have been dozens of games I was REALLY excited for that turned out to be a big let down. It only started happening around 2001 or so, gaming for me took a terrible turn. Up to that point I mostly loved everything, but a combination of getting older, and gaming getting worse, meant for some harsh times with gaming. There were some games that were sequels to things I loved that I hoped would be bigger and better, and turned out to actually be worse. And there were some new games that I had high hopes for that turned out to be completely different to what I expected and generally terrible. In order to preserve my mental health, I have forgotten most of these traumatic experiences, but I can still manage to recall some stuff:

Rise of the Robots
Magazines told teenage me that this was going to be the best thing ever, and there were screenshots that blew my mind. Some of the first real graphics, when gaming started stepping out of its usual 2d cartoony look. But they obviously had lots of problems and the finished game was a big let down.

Syndicate 2
The first game is one of my favorite games of all time. I saw a preview Syndicate 2 in a magazine, but it was quite early on. They talked about lots of features the game would have, most of which never made it to the final game. The screenshots in the magazine looked gorgeous, it looked like Syndicate but with better graphics and lighting, and it was going to have more weapons and gadgets etc, and you were going to be able to walk into a building and press a button, and get a first person view of the inside of the building. I was super hyped. The finished game was a total let down. I later found out that some people loved it, but I tried it at a few times and always thought it was a piece of shit. Everything about it seemed wrong. It ran like shit, it looked like shit, and it played like shit.

Black & White
This game just had so much hype. It was a weird time where I had stopped buying gaming magazines (I used to buy at least 1 a month but they had become so expensive, and I also lost interest), and yet I wasn't really looking at reviews on the internet regularly yet. Yet I heard about this game a lot, hyped on various TV gaming and tech shows. They talked about having 'a creature' that the player could train to do things and it would help you and entertain you etc, and there was a whole other interesting game made by industry legend and genius behind Populous and Syndicate (one of my favorite games ever). So I had high hopes and bought it. Game was a piece of shit. It was childish, the creature was gimmicky bullshit that didn't actually do anything or have most of the features they promised. The rest of the game was a simplistic and not very interesting strategy game where I threw fireballs at nearby towns over and over and over again.

Hidden & Dangerous 2
First game was a classic. Second game I hoped for more and better, but it was so buggy and glitchy and gimpy and just not fun or good enough. I later went back several years later and completed it after it had long since been patched, and it was an ok-ish experience. But it wasn't as good as it should have been, and it really depresses me because I am convinced that if key games like that were a bigger success at that key time, the world of gaming wouldn't have turned down the dumb single character action FPS/RPG path that it did.

Alan Wake
Again, I saw articles about this game a good 3 or 4 years before it was done. Everyone was talking about the graphics, it looked like photo realism, for realsies, and there were shots flying over the whole area that showed realistic weather and a day/night cycle and all kinds of stuff. I had no idea what the game actually was at that point, and I am not sure the devs even knew what it was going to be either. It looked like a psychological horror / adventure, and I was expecting some sort of creepy X Files, Gabriel Knight, Steven King type of experience where you drive around solving a mystery and finding clues like a 90s Adventure Game with an inventory and dialogue and clue finding, but mixed with some real shooting and Max Payne type stuff. Several years later and a million development problems and all kinds of stupid bullshit, a dumb fucking kiddie action zombiez horror game came out.

Spore
Not much to say. Hype told me it was going to be amazing, where you create a single celled creature and develop it all the way through evolution. I was sceptical but loved the idea of it. In reality, your single celled gameplay was a glorified Flash game. You swim around eating smaller shit, the only real weapons were either spikes, electric ass, or poison out your ass. Hardly depth. Then you go on to some other half baked stage where you walk your gimpy character around trying to sing songs to other gimpy kids tv creatures or attack them with level 2 MMO combat. Press 1 to leap and hit. Press 2 to do another hit. Repeat. And each stage was equally crap. Spore takes trying to do too much and not delivering on any of it to a whole new level.

Two Worlds 2
Yeah ok, I was one of a tiny group of people who expected anything from this at all... But I actually enjoyed the first game. It had goofy stupid dialogue, but the gameplay was decent and I ended up enjoying it more than any of the Elder Scrolls or Gothic games. It was clearly a bit low budget and gimpy, but I liked it enough and I thought people should support it to give boring half assed Elder Scrolls some competition. But the sequel just didn't pull it off. They just didn't have the budget to do what they wanted to do. Lots of the ideas were not developed enough, and it was really buggy, and it was far too short as well. It is a shame, I always hated the Elder Scrolls games and wishing on their competitors. And this one crashed and burned, and then Gothic did the same with Gothic 3 and then Arcania which was boiled garbage. So now Skyrim is the top dog, and it doesn't deserve to be.

Halflife 2
To be fair, I was bored of FPSs long before this came along. But still, I hoped for more. I liked the first game and the companions that you could give orders too, I wrongly assumed might be a key part of future FPSs and I thought Halflife 2 might show the way. But really it was just more of the same corridor shooting action. It was decent, but it was no way near what I expected. I liked a few of the physics puzzles but they felt gimmicky and a waste of dev time. I loved the gravity gun as an idea but it felt like it made the game too easy, and the rest of the gunplay I found boring. The weapons were unsatisfying, and I have a thing for explosives and grenades in FPSs, but there just weren't enough of them in HL2. I much preferred the expasnions though.

EverQuest 2
The first game was a revolution in gaming. I've typed too much already to go into this now but the sequel just fucked everything up. That game, combined with the fuck up they did with SWG, made me see that SoE was destined to go out of business and they deserved it. I was amazed they survived as long as they did.

Tribes Vengeance
I liked it, I played the demo online a million times. But I never bought it because it just wasn't good enough. The maps weren't big enough and the game just needed more stuff and better stuff.

Unreal Tournament 3
UT2k4 was awesome. The third one was more of the same only uglier and not as fun.

Command and Conquer 3
EA: killer of games, eater of devs, raper of dreams.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_(video_game)

I was very sad about this game. I liked SimCIty at the time and thought this would be even better.

Damn what a bizarre coincidence. I was just thinking about this game the other day, but I couldn't remember what it was. I just knew that it got joke referenced in PC Gamer a lot as a major fuck up on their part.

Well I'll be damned, a couple of times a year I try to remember the name of that 'Sim City in space' game. That's the one.

RapineDel

Augur
Thief 2014, Gothic 3, Wasteland 2, Escape From Monkey Island, Broken Sword 3, King's Quest 8 (might as well throw in the new one too but that wasn't unexpected), any of the modern Leisure Suit Larry games.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Realms of Arkania HD.
At first I thought it'd be entertaining, but then they fixed the bugs.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gothic 3:
My first big dissapointment, probably the biggest because I love Gothic 1-2. I haven't still accepted this one. Unoptimized, bugfest, shitty MMO quests, shitty chest rewards.

Half Life 2:
Loved the first game, hyped for second one. All I had was a glorious tech demo and shitty steam. Also my first online ban after protesting a lot about steam. Good'ol days.

NWN 1-2:
While I got fun playing some of them modules/expansions, OCs are p.dissapointing, shallow and boring.

Doom 3:

Fallout 3:

Oblivion:
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Might&Magic 9:
I expected nothing and I'm still let down.

Diablo 3:
I expected nothing and I'm still let down, part 2. Still, got my moneys worth thanks to auction house. Helped me to fund some kickstarter projects back then...
:negative:

Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2:argh:

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I just thought of another one:

Mount&Blade

It's not a bad game, but when I bought the beta I expected there to be more content and continued development. Instead, they fixed a few things and then released version 1.0 with what I thought were a lot of missing features. The combat was good, but eh strategy side was very very weak.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Invisible War is mentioned pretty often in this thread. I agree, I wish it would have remained so invisible that I'd have never gotten to know about its existence in the first place.
I think it's also a pretty strong contender for the award: The largest jump in quality between titles in a series. Well, obviously FO3 might take the cake, but at least IW has a podium finish secured.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Installed Hellgate London beta. When you pressed "duck", the position changed instantly, like camera teleport. The first NPC was named "Murmur".

Bought Titanfall on launch... the trash mobs idea was horrible, and overall experience was fairly resemblant of what I believe eating shit feels like.

Bought COD: Infinite Warfare on launch, hearing good things about the campaign. They start off by Jon Snow killing you. And then it gets worse.

Bought Diablo 3 with 2 friends because we wanted to recreate our youth, aka when we all bought Diablo2 and it turned out to be magic. My lvl 20 mage has been rotting in Blizzard database for 4 years now. Last time I checked, he still looks like an Asian woman.

Bought Torchlight 2 because on paper it had all the good features from Diablo 2. The whole was catastrophically less than the sum of its parts.

Bought Fallout 3 on launch. The first 2 hours depressed me more than visiting grandpa in assisted living facility.

Bought Mass Effect 3 for my PS3 because I wanted to experience "living room entertainment" all the cool kids talk about. The game ran at 15fps.

Bought Deus Ex: HR. After clunky intro with out-of-sync NPCs, I met my first in-game character, who was a black hobo woman shuffling through garbage. I clicked on her and she lit up with all the infokiosk answers, "tell me about your glorious village" and such, brogrammed in by the usual autistics.

Bought Elite: Dangerous. And a proper joystick. I only have a vague idea of which pile in the room the joystick is buried under.

Well, at least I didn't buy "No Man's Sky". SUCKERS.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Bought Elite: Dangerous. And a proper joystick. I only have a vague idea of which pile in the room the joystick is buried under.

I felt I could only quote one David Braben game or I'd have added this one too, although I did get some fun out of the beta. My fancy joystick is still sitting on my desk as a monument to my folly and a reminder never to give Frontier any money every again.

Sword of the Stars 2 is where I stopped preordering games. I actually think that game may have set the precedent of it being okay and profitable for publishers/developers to run massive preorder incentive scams. The whole fiasco around that game happened before a lot of the big ones that we know of at least as far as I remember.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Gothic 3
I haven't even been dissapointed, simply washed from any emotion. I waited so long for this game and at first it felt good. Strange, but fluent combat, text in the center of the screen... It took some time until I realized I am not enjoying it at all. MMO like quests, just go and kill 5 10 15 monsters, not existence plot, lack of consistence with previous games, broken combat, exploring world was pointless, bad character progression, broken monsters.
I wasn't even mad. Just hollow.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Definite number one:

Heroes of Might and Magic IV - I'm not ashamed to say that HoMM II and III are my most played games ever, I've spent literally thousands of hours on them, mostly hot seat and multi. My total playing time for IV is probably around 30-40h, most of it spent raging.

Some honorable mentions:

Neverwinter Nights - I thought Bioware is on huge incline. Didn't like BG, but found BG2 very good and somehow assumed that NWN is going to make my dick explode. Game was legit, 100% shit, they even though about tiniest of details, like main menu that looked like someone made it in Paint and it took him 10 minutes.

Fallout Tactics - making a proper tactical, squad based game in Fallout universe when it was still a thing - hard to come up with a better idea. Unfortunately the devs of this game missed the memo on how combat was the most criticized part of Fallout games even when they were single character crpgs, So they copied the mechanics almost 1:1 and then prepared a set of missions that hardly ever required an actual tactical approach and going rt all guns blazing was viable way more often than it should be.

Modern console gaming - I used to like consoles in early 90s. Then somewhere in 2008 I wasn't really a gamer, mostly just playing my favorite PC classic from time to time and not really having much idea what was going on in the business, but got my first big, stable job and disposable income, so I bought myself a nice, big tv and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I guess you know how it went. The social games were OK I guess.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors

Neither was an inspired sequel to Wizardry 7. The decline set in to various degrees and would fully manifest in DW Bradley's Dungeon Lords.

All Monkey Island games after Monkey Island 2

Same. The switch to cartoon graphics didn't help either.

Civlization 2

I hated the isometric perspective and only found a good top-down Civ in the strategic view of Civ 5.

Eye of the Beholder 3

Major boring decline.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors

Neither was an inspired sequel to Wizardry 7. The decline set in to various degrees and would fully manifest in DW Bradley's Dungeon Lords.

All Monkey Island games after Monkey Island 2

Same. The switch to cartoon graphics didn't help either.

Civlization 2

I hated the isometric perspective and only found a good top-down Civ in the strategic view of Civ 5.

Eye of the Beholder 3

Major boring decline.
Not on the list: Gothic 1, shitty game like all the other first person shooters.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom