Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest disappointments in your personal gaming history

1) Fallout 3--

2) Pillars of Eternity: I followed along the making of the game and should have known since I hated every design choice, but still I thought it would be at least as a poor version of a Infinity Engine game. But it was so much worse than I could have imagined. Combat is awful and the spells and itemization have strangely specific types of effects that are convoluted, way overthought, over designed and frankly just bizarre all designed by some sperg showing off to a few isolated weirdos on some forgotten internet message board made up of people who think a lot of their intellect and love to suck the life and fun out of anything and everything they touch.

Spells that give a +4.88% bonus to hit and damage (+1.19% per level of caster up to a maximum of 11th level, 13th for godlike characters) on every third attack (every 2nd against creatures that hatch or are otherwise birthed from eggs or wombs where gestation occurs outside a mother/host's body). The spell lasts for 27 seconds and affects any ally engaged with a monster when the spell is cast and who happens to be in a cone that has a 57 degree arc at its zenith (zenith=31 feet+1.2 feet per level of the caster) and which radiates out at a 45 degree angle from the casters sword arm (or would be sword arm),

Overly designed shit that destroyed any sense of wonder and mystery. It almost felt like Josh was trying to piss off a certain segment of gamer (grognards) while his sycophants cheered and hummed warm musicale notes against his nut sack.

3) All Obsidian games ever. Has this company ever made a decent game? Why do we keep on thinking they will? Troika games was so superior its not even funny. Man I wish Troika had survived.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Thanks for reminding me about Risen 2 you fuckers :negative:

So is it worth playing at all, even slightly? Any resemblance to Risen 1, which was quite good? I just found it in my steam library. I've no recollection of buying it so I suspect somebody is trying to sabotage my prestigious reputation. But since it's there...

I spent many years going back in time to play older games, don't pay too much attention to pre-release material, and have some amount of 'enjoy it for what it is' gene required of every Obsidian game purchaser, so not a lot. I also immediately uninstall a lot of games that I realise is going to be shit.

Can't be disappointed by Fallout 3 if you never hoped, and can't be disappointed by Fallout 4 if you never even think about playing it. (Why would you even?) Never really had high hopes for Mass Effects, DA2/3, Bioshock, etc, etc., never mind *heh* Sword Coast Legends.

I included Fallout 3, but really what I meant was more the cancellation of Van Buren then later the announcement of Fallout 3 with the realization of what it meant. I have never actually played fallout 3 and never will. Same goes for Mass Effect, Skyrim, Witcher, Bioshock or any other type of 3D action game where you see a sword in one hand and a stupid fucking glowing fist of fireball shooting in the other. I can't believe people play these types of games for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I don't even egage them because I know I will hate them. I think I played Oblivion or Skyrim for like 5 minutes once and then stopped, it was god awful.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

So is it worth playing at all, even slightly? Any resemblance to Risen 1, which was quite good? I just found it in my steam library. I've no recollection of buying it so I suspect somebody is trying to sabotage my prestigious reputation. But since it's there...

Interestingly, Risen 2 can be found in a large number of 'Best ever' lists. Not RPG best ever lists... But Aaargh Pirates best ever lists. So if your yearning for yo-ho-ho'ing is greater than your yearning for RPGing then the Pirate section of any gaming database will always have, ironically, a much smaller pool of games to choose from. Disclaimer: I've never played Risen 2, I was just researching Pirate games the other day.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Look, at least no one reminded you about Arcania: Gothi-
oops.

You gotta have hopes to be disappointed by something.

So is it worth playing at all, even slightly? Any resemblance to Risen 1, which was quite good?

Tldr: Nope and nope.

Longer read: nope.

Invisible War is mentioned pretty often in this thread. I agree, I wish it would have remained so invisible that I'd have never gotten to know about its existence in the first place.
I think it's also a pretty strong contender for the award: The largest jump in quality between titles in a series. Well, obviously FO3 might take the cake, but at least IW has a podium finish secured.
and i still remember marco auletta, at the time one of the most renown and respected italian gaming journos, saying that people bashing it were doing so because they played the pirated version, while the boxed was a flawless game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Personally for me Fallout and Fallout 2 but that's my fault for expecting too much. I didn't play them until way after they'd come out, and I'd already been spoiled by Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate 2 and even Arcanum.

I'd say Stellaris too, except I wasn't expecting Stellaris to be good in the first place. Especially since it was what only 1 year in development?

I was a little disappointed with Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch. Wasn't expecting such a short RPG. It felt more like an engine demo, which it kind of was. Again, it's my fault for expecting too much.

I guess Baldur's Gate 1, but that's only because I played it after Baldur's Gate 2 and my first time I didn't even get out of Candlekeep.

I'm trying to remember my old NES and Genesis cartridges, except I played the shit out of most of those. Faxanadu perhaps? But I still played the shit out of that one. Maybe Castlevania 2 (ironically the most "rpg" of the NES Castlevanias) except I didn't buy that one. I'm sure there's some games I had that I didn't play much but it's hard remembering those.

I was kind of disappointed with both Populous and SimCity when I finally got around to playing them. After about an hour, I thought well, this isn't that fun at all.

Hm, some other games. King's Quest V. I remember it being so gorgeous when I was like 9 years old. VGA, omg! I didn't find Myst much fun.

Oh. Maniac Mansion 2. Just not my cup of tea. The tv show was disappointing too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No, not really. The game is functional, but they broke everything that worked from the first game. Combat is shit now, instead of one big interesting island there is several small ones with no real connection. Story not very interesting, just another chosen one story. Setting is too different from the first game as well. Biggest offender is probably how they consolized it - from a 100% PC-focused game with great inventory system to a clunky controller focused inventory.

Severian Silk

Here are some console disappointments:

Al Unser Jr's Turbo Racing (NES) - I thought this would be fun like Out Run, but it isn't.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - Nice graphics, but brutally hard gameplay.
Wipeout XL (PS1) - The tracks in this sequel feel gimmicky sometimes, and the soundtrack is worse than the original.
Need for Speed 2 (PS1) - Also has very gimmicky tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get how the fuck can people be disappointed of Fallout 3 after Oblivion... Wasn't it p. obvious that it was going to be super-shit?

Morkar Left

Oblivion - levelscaling, stupid dialog, retarded ai, shortened lore, riding without combat, stupid mini games etc. pp.

NWN1 - the main campaign. Editor, addons and being designed for mp anyway rescued the title. Still, the main campaign after BGT was terribad.

NWN2 - I thought Obsidian could deliver something. Instead they had an unfinished world/level design, terrible combat (with no dying/insta-resurrection!) coupled with terrible uninspired encounters and a boring story (with a story on railroad who even attempts to mock you by pretending you have some choices).

Kotor2 - Didn't play Kotor 1. Didn't like the combat but it was ok for a Star Wars game. But the story and the game broke completely apart the further you went. Left me with a sour taste.

Megatraveller - cool char system and interesting setting but the game itself was pure tedium and even with horrible real time combat.

Age of Decadence - just kidding

Axe Father

Savant
Dark Souls 2 was terrible, cheap fan fiction (and Scholar of the First Sin did nothing to change that).

Until Dark Souls 2 lured me into being excited for a game and having hope again... Fool me twice, shame on me.

Dark Souls 2. What a pile of shit.

Damn, I've heard things over the years about people not liking Dark Souls 2 but those are harsh words. I started with Demon's Souls back in '09 and I thought it was alright, you guys got me feeling like Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap:

pippin

I've been defending IW in other threads and I'll stand by my decision. It's not bad. It's also more of a DX game than HR.But if you disagree, it's ok.

I've been always disappointed by Doom 2, since it lost most of the magic the first one had. The second one just feels like a collection of fanmade levels, and not just the masterpiece of level design that Doom 1 was. I still can play it but I will never truly love it, no mater what you say. Quake 2 also fits here, but I played it and loved it a lot, and I gotta say Q3 is even more of a letdown than 2 if that's possible. However, you could argue the Quake franchise is responsible for many aspects of decline, though...

Santander02

Arcane
Oblivion is the only game that has made me feel actual hatred for a gamedev, after suffering trough that one I discovered the Codex and and I can just gauge the reactions in this forum and asses wether a game is worth getting or not, so I haven't had any disappointments since. Even when I set my mind on trying a game the hivemind says it's shit it turns out to not be as bad as everyone said it was, so the whole "everything is shit" attitude that governs this place has actually made me more positive about vidya, funny dat.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
MGS4 - Kojima's writing has always been pretty bad, but this' the point where all the shitty plot twists and retcons came to a head and resulted in a plodding mess of a story, with even more nonsensical twists stacked on top (i.e. the comic relief supporting cast from MGS3 being revealed as the overarching villains of the series). Gameplay's decent enough, for what little there is of it.

Dark Souls 3 - Soulsborne: The Greatest Hits. Game completely lacks its own identity, preferring just to lift elements from the other, far superior games in the series, combined with combat that is far to hectic, haphazard, and just feels amateur compared to its predecessors.

MGSV - Video game blue balls. Story and pacing is an absolute disastrous mess even by the standards of the series, and it's clear from the get-go that the game is still pretty unfinished.

The three versions of Fates are all pretty well differentiated from each other. Conquest is tactically on the same level as Fire Emblem 5/7, but the overall story is worse than FE8 (which was the worst told story of the GBA era).
Yeah, I'm playing Birthright at the moment, and they just hand you a character less than ten hours in to the game who can easily solo most of the main story mission. The game isn't even pretending it cares about balance.

I'm also told that this is the one that has the best story out of the three fates, which is disconcerting for me. I mean, it's decent, but the fact that it's falling under the really naked veneration of the Japanese that a lot of these games do (the Hoshidans are wise, benevolent, and kind, the Nohrians are basically mordor) makes me feel uncomfortable.

Heechee

Liturgist
This thread truly delivers. The current game industry being what it is, the predictable shittiness of the new games is becoming rather boring. How refreshing to remember all those disappointments of the past. So many amusing bad memories.:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom