Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darklands map

mpsmap.jpg

Pillows of Eternity map

Map.jpg

MAKE MAPS GREAT AGAIN
ItXMdIM.png

I tried at least.

Deleted Member 16721

Seriously though, in light of Eric Fenstermaker's interview, and stuff he said there about fewer but more developed companions, later confirmed by Josh, I think The party size reduction is in part to allow for a smaller number of overall companions than the original PoE's starting 9.

That's pretty much what I said without reading any interviews. That is par for the course with modern RPG development of this style.

How many RPGs have released lately where a dev said: Option #1 - "We're going to cut down a bit on the overall character development for the companions, but in exchange we're going to have a lot more of them! This means that while each character may not have a novel's worth of dialogue, there will be many different ways to build your party that encourages experimentation! There will be different, unique synergies you can create and gameplay implications to consider, as well as more difficult to recruit characters, some hidden characters and even Affinity Combo attacks depending on which charcters you are currently using!"

Or do you usually see: Option #2 - "We are going to have a few companions, but they are going to be *really* fleshed out! They will have tons of dialogue, party banter, involved side quests and romance options! You will grow to love these characters because we've invested so much into them and we let our writers run free with their stories!"

Just an observation. Spoiler - It's usually Option #2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artyoan

Arbiter
I think my issue with the party size is more like this:
1. Tank
2. Healer
3. Damage Dealer
4. Crowd Control
5. Flavor
6. More Flavor

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Again, one of the things that made BG2 so fun were the high-level mage battles that were pretty much absent in POE1.

Don't want to spoil things too much, but if you've got a hankering for those you should really play TWM ;)

Thanks. If that is truly the case, I'm looking forward to POE2. I tried playing POE1 again to get to TWM, but lost interest before getting there.

Prime Junta

Cutting the party down to 5 won't do any harm to the gameplay. My only problem with it is that I'm mildly OCD about completing all companion quests which means more party reshuffling. OTOH there are fewer companions overall so eh I guess.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Frankly managing large parties in the cumbersome RTwP format is a pain. I would even be fine with 4, like in Tyranny.

What would really make me happy, would be going turn-based though. But I don't believe there is a chance for that in this franchise.

Aren't there enough turn-based games already? Since the XCom remake exploded everything now is turn-based. RTwP is rare and there should be a few RPGs at least that use it.

It's also not really a pain to manage in any of the Infinity Engine games. Probably because the only thing you really have to actively manage are who you are attacking + which spell you are using (minus the occasional pauses to regroup, etc.). In PoE even the melee characters have skills that have to be managed, so that aspect can make it more confusing.

Nope. For me the only good, relatively new, turn-based games have been Shadowrun and Might & Magic X. The former was a bit simplistic for my taste, but it just worked nonetheless.

WL 2 was shit.
D:OS was too cartoonish and juvenile for me to enjoy. Also any challenge evaporated real fast.
LoX was bland (I know you disagree)
T:ToN: seems like combat is almost an afterthought here, so I wouldn't mind that being a RTwP, like PS:T was. Don't really care either way.

AoD I haven't played.

I would love to have another turn based game with a robust class, ability and spell systems. PoE would be a good candidate, I think.

Lambach

Arcane
Don't want to spoil things too much, but if you've got a hankering for those you should really play TWM ;)

There was not a single interesting mage fight in TWM. That one fight against a certain Archmage was only interesting because of her reptilian companions, not because of her. And mage fights never stood a chance of being interesting in PoE because most mage spells are impotent garbage.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice what a joke level 7 and 8 Druid and Mage spells were? Did anyone playtest that shit? Llengrath's Dread Haze, for example, is a level 8 Mage spell that leaves enemies Sickened and conceals their health (???) for 20 seconds. Vile Thorns, on the other hand, is a level 1 (one) Druid spell that does some damage and leaves enemies Sickened for 10 seconds.

Josh, or whoever designed the spells, is a legit fucking moron. That's why I have pretty much zero hope PoE 2's combat will rise above the original. There are no indications that anyone in the team can make it happen.

Deleted Member 16721

Nope. For me the only good, relatively new, turn-based games have been Shadowrun and Might & Magic X. The former was a bit simplistic for my taste, but it just worked nonetheless.

WL 2 was shit.
D:OS was too cartoonish and juvenile for me to enjoy. Also any challenge evaporated real fast.
LoX was bland (I know you disagree)
T:ToN: seems like combat is almost an afterthought here, so I wouldn't mind that being a RTwP, like PS:T was. Don't really care either way.

AoD I haven't played.

I would love to have another turn based game with a robust class, ability and spell systems. PoE would be a good candidate, I think.

Even if you count those 2 turn-based games as games you liked, that's still 2 more of that style that have come out compared to RTwP. The rest you didn't like but they still exist. Not many RTWP RPGs exist or are coming out nowadays. Other than Serpents in the Staglands and Pillars of Eternity, which new RPGs are RTwP?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That masquerade thing was rtwp, so was that sword coast thing.

Anyways, this thing will be set on a series of volcanic Islands, full of hostile natives and a secretive hidden God... Obsidian os appropriating my culture!

tormund

Arcane
Josh, or whoever designed the spells, is a legit fucking moron. That's why I have pretty much zero hope PoE 2's combat will rise above the original. There are no indications that anyone in the team can make it happen.
Try to be less obvious with your trolling in the future, my serbian friend... unless you are fishing for a tag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try to be less obvious with your trolling in the future, my serbian friend... unless you are fishing for a tag.

Feel free to prove me wrong, then.

OK, here are some reasons why that could make sense:

1) Druids aren't Wizards. They're meant to have better damage spells at the cost of versatility.
2) Vile Thorns is a short ranged cone AoE - riskier to use than Llengrath's Dread Haze.
3) 20 seconds is more than 10 seconds, and on the high range of durations seen in PoE.
4) Llengrath's Dread Haze is a Will attack. Vile Thorns' Sickening effect is a Fortitude attack, making it less useful for Ogres and other big tough nasties.
5) Perhaps most importantly, Llengrath's Dread Haze probably doesn't do friendly fire.

But the unusual Health and Endurance concealment property of Llengrath's Dread Haze makes me think it's primarily meant to be a spell that's used against you by the AI. Being able to take it for yourself is just an added bonus.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
1) Druids aren't Wizards. They're meant to have better damage spells at the cost of versatility.
2) Vile Thorns is a short ranged cone AoE - riskier to use than Llengrath's Dread Haza.
3) 20 seconds is more than 10 seconds, and on the high range of durations seen in PoE.
4) Llengrath's Dread Haze is a Will attack. Vile Thorns' Sickening effect is a Fortitude attack, making it less useful for Ogres and other big tough nasties.
5) Perhaps most importantly, Llengrath's Dread Haze doesn't do friendly fire ("Foe AoE").

None of that explains why a level 8 spell produces a single debuff that you can literally ignore at such high levels. It's -1 to all Attributes (oh no, I'm going to have 3% less damage and have 1 less Accuracy... at level 15/16!) and -10 Will and Fortitude. It's absurd.

Besides, it's not the only garbage spell. Kalakoth's Freezing Rake does something like ~80-ish (if the enemy doesn't save) damage and Hobbles for 8 seconds. This is at the point in the game where tankier mobs have over 300 Endurance, squishier ones around 200 and fights last for about a minute or so, at least on PotD. Same goes for Wilting Wind, with its "whooping" 60 Raw Damage.

Compare that to Horrid Wilting in BG2, that can instantly take out squishy targets, Spell Triggers, Simulacrums, Symbol of X spells etc. and you see why even bothering to cast Wizard spells in PoE is absurd. You're much better off just buffing a Barbarian with Priest spells and letting him loose.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's true that it's not a very spectacular spell, but on the other hand I'm not sure there actually that many Wizard spells in the game that inflict any status effect on such a large area-of-effect for so long a duration, with no friendly fire. If you really want to Sicken people, well, that's the ultimate Sickening spell.

Lambach

Arcane
It's true that it's not a very spectacular spell, but on the other hand I'm not sure there actually that many Wizard spells in the game that inflict any status effect on such a large area-of-effect for so long a duration, with no friendly fire. If you really want to Sicken people, well, that's the ultimate Sickening spell.

Yeah, but I why would I want to Sicken people at level 15? Is it even possible to notice a difference at such a high level when your enemy does only 97% instead of 100% of its total damage, or has 99 Accuracy instead of 100? You're much better off just flinging another Fireball or something. Also, friendly fire is not a problem with high Int, you can always easily maneuver with the inner and outer circles.

And again, it's not only that one. I can't find a single decent level 7 or 8 Wizard spell. Concelhaut's Crushing Doom is the only one I can think of that comes close. Druids are no better. I haven't cast a level 7 Druid spell once in the 20-25 hours I've had a level 13+ Hiravias in the party. Level 8, only that Tornado thingy was decent.

Parabalus

Arcane
None of that explains why a level 8 spell produces a single debuff that you can literally ignore at such high levels. It's -1 to all Attributes (oh no, I'm going to have 3% less damage and have 1 less Accuracy... at level 15/16!) and -10 Will and Fortitude. It's absurd.

Besides, it's not the only garbage spell. Kalakoth's Freezing Rake does something like ~80-ish (if the enemy doesn't save) damage and Hobbles for 8 seconds. This is at the point in the game where tankier mobs have over 300 Endurance, squishier ones around 200 and fights last for about a minute or so, at least on PotD. Same goes for Wilting Wind, with its "whooping" 60 Raw Damage.

Compare that to Horrid Wilting in BG2, that can instantly take out squishy targets, Spell Triggers, Simulacrums, Symbol of X spells etc. and you see why even bothering to cast Wizard spells in PoE is absurd. You're much better off just buffing a Barbarian with Priest spells and letting him loose.

Mages are completely overpowered in Bg2, to the point that it's easier to solo encounters with a mage than to keep a full party alive - thankfully Sawyer mostly fixed that shit in PoE.

Wizards are still one of the strongest PoE classes, it's telling that your natural comparison is 2 characters vs 1. Wizard spell generally do less damage but have CC, you forgot that Freezing Rake also weakens and has a fast cast time. There are no saves any more, you roll accuracy on them as with attacks, they can't be saved against. You should read descriptions more carefully.

Hyperion

Arcane
Yeah, but I why would I want to Sicken people at level 15? Is it even possible to notice a difference at such a high level when your enemy does only 97% instead of 100% of its total damage, or has 99 Accuracy instead of 100? You're much better off just flinging another Fireball or something. Also, friendly fire is not a problem with high Int, you can always easily maneuver with the inner and outer circles.

And again, it's not only that one. I can't find a single decent level 7 or 8 Wizard spell. Concelhaut's Crushing Doom is the only one I can think of that comes close. Druids are no better. I haven't cast a level 7 Druid spell once in the 20-25 hours I've had a level 13+ Hiravias in the party. Level 8, only that Tornado thingy was decent.

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake can hit twice unless it was nerfed / fixed. With Secrets of Rime and 18 Might it can deal over 250 damage. Substantial Phantom is excellent for extra, simultaneous ranged attacks, debuffs (it can cast Arduous Delay of Motion), and is a meat shield. Tayn's Chaotic Orb can dismantle an enemy party, and Ninagauth's Killing Bolt for those enemies with high DR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom