Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe your dream RPG by combining the setting of one game with the gameplay of another

himmy

Arcane
I was accidentally watching a video of Far Cry: Primal and realised that I have zero interest in playing it, but I would like to see game with that setting that plays like a Gothic. Can't tell how linear the levels in Primal are just from the videos, but I imagine very. I'm talking an entire Gothic 2 or 3 sized game that takes place in that world in one huge map.

Also, any sort of single player RPG set in The Secret World world (heh) would be great, but give me one that has Divinity: Original Sin's gameplay and I'll marry you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I was accidentally watching a video of Far Cry: Primal and realised that I have zero interest in playing it, but I would like to see game with that setting that plays like a Gothic. Can't tell how linear the levels in Primal are just from the videos, but I imagine very. I'm talking an entire Gothic 2 or 3 sized game that takes place in that world in one huge map.

Also, any sort of single player RPG set in The Secret World world (heh) would be great, but give me one that has Divinity: Original Sin's gameplay and I'll marry you.
The setting of WW1 Cairo, Egypt Egypt and the Levant with the non-combat gameplay of Fallout 1 and combat of Silent Storm.

Done.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I want a real time blobber like Legend of Grimrock, but with a setting like hotline miami. Dusky 80ish Miami skyscrapers as the dungeons and swarms of devious traps and coked out cuban gangsters chasing you down the halls.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
SETTING: Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing This setting is amazing as it fulfils every human being's dream to become a truck that can climb 90° mountains and reverse at 50,000 km/h, as well as ignoring bridges and buildings. You are king of the world. You cannot lose. YOU'RE WINNER!

GAMEPLAY: Dungeons of Death This game upends existing conventions of combat, character progression, exploration, and even movement, the most fundamental part of an RPG, by using an innovative parser-based interface. Combat obscures details, making the game more dramatic, while the character progression system, inspired by PnP, allows unparalleled flexibility and creativity.

SYNOPSIS: Imagine a truck casting Fireball while climbing up steep slopes as you control it via the unique parser-based interface! This exciting vision makes the great RPGs of old feel like ancient relics as the setting and gameplay feel like a match made in heaven!

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
The setting of Too Human - postapocalyptic cyberpunk norse mythology - with the gameplay of literally any game that isn't a giant pile of total shit. The actual story and characters we got in that game are also shit but the idea of that setting is quite cool.

buffalo bill

Arcane
darklands setting with TOEE combat (or any game with even decent combat)

Alt: pillars of eternity with fallout 1/2 death animations, so I can watch the awful backer npcs do the fire dance

octavius

Arcane
Patron
TES games with Dark Messiah physics and combat.
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic with the AI of whichever game has a good AI (HoMM 3 maybe).
Might&Magic 3-5 with the combat system of MM2 (or just about any other TB blobber).

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Torment with an any engine that's not shit.

Troikastein's monster: Arcanum setting with ToEE combat.

Darklands with Battle Brothers combat.

Anything could be improved with the addition of JA2 style combat, up to and including Madden.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Combat of Gothic 3 + Setting of Inquisitor.

:deadtroll:

EDIT: On second thought this would be an improvement to Inquisitor :lol:

Last edited:

Lostpleb

Learned
Fire Emblem gameplay in the setting of Warhammer 40k would be pretty fucking sweet.

Runner up: Jagged Alliance in the world of Deus Ex.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any medvial/dark age setting with Gothic 1-2 gameplay and world building. (Assassins Creed games with Gothic gameplay :O and better story )
Any futuristic/ modern day setting with JA2+Expeditions gameplay and world building. (Shadowrun + JA2 combat :bounce:)

Chateaubryan

Cipher
I'm torn between :

- Morrowind's Setting with the combat of Dragon's Dogma.

- Planescape : Torment's Setting with Virtue's Last Reward's Shift System.

Only a handful of happy few will know what I mean with that last one, though.
For the others : if you're even remotely a storyfag, don't spoil yourselves, don't Google what the Shift system is and get it when it's released in march.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom