Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did anyone here play Summoner?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yea there was a sequel which is more well known, but it also sucks. The first game was a party based tactical RPG. But I never see people talk about it. I only played it once and never finished it because I got bored, but I quite liked it up to that point. If I played it back when it was released, I would have finished it for sure and probably loved every minute.

Ash

Arcane
Played it briefly many years ago. It didn't manage to hold me (don't recall why, specifically), but it does have extremely obscure cult status so clearly resonated with some people.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've played it like 15 years ago and I've liked the plot (plot twist), although dialogues were funny, they looked something like this:
1) I know Frodo
2) You know Frodo?
or
1) I have a ring that makes me invisible.
2) Invisible?
etc.
Basically the protagonist would always answer with a question so yeah...

As for the fights, they didn't seem bad to me at the time but it was so long ago that I'm not sure. I remember there were interesting skills though and in general it was worth playing. If you don't want to risk 5$ just download the "demo" and check for yourself, that's always the best idea.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Was going to give this a shot, but apparently the FPS is locked at 30, no fix even with GoG version...

EDIT: PCGamingWiki entry is wrong.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
dialogues were funny, they looked something like this:
1) I know Frodo
2) You know Frodo?
or
2) Invisible?
etc.

Does it have Codec conversations?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Where are the Cheetos?

Played this, didn't get very far because it was my friend's game and he wanted to play it multiplayer. Multiplayer was just the maps with enemies and no quests or anything (really poorly implemented).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I've played through the original game and liked it, but never managed to finish the sequel (didn't have the time). Both games are pretty good, especially if you can look past the (sometimes) clunky combat and stupid AI -- at the very least they offer pretty good quests without any hand-holding.

Was going to give this a shot, but apparently the FPS is locked at 30, no fix even with GoG version...
The game doesn't have an FPS lock.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Tried to play it twice, one time focusing on defensive skills (untouchable) and one time mixed (died quickly).

The game is most notable for its relatively large maps on the PS2.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was a fun game even though it wasn't amazing in any particular area. It's a decent romp if you actually intend to play it. Decent exploration and there are some fun combat encounters.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The game doesn't have an FPS lock.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Summoner - look under Video Settings.

TzKfjpQ.png

pippin

dialogues were funny, they looked something like this:
1) I know Frodo
2) You know Frodo?
or
2) Invisible?
etc.

Does it have Codec conversations?
Conversations?

Metal Gear?

Also, I only have played a few hours of the first game, but it's ok.It seems to be a fan favorite on the interwebs too.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I played it to completion on ps2 around 2001. For the time it was a huge huge game with not too clear sidequests (glass shards anyone?) I actually quite enjoyed roaming in the world map where I wasn't supposed to be with just Joseph and Fleece, some magic scrolls trying to see what I could kill before dying like an ass.
The worldbuilding felt interesting too, especially the fair amount of lore you can get in the Lenele cathedral, somehow I still dig the stained glass artwork as it felt quite genuine (must be my Italian heritage, stained glass is everywhere here).
The story is nothing to write home about the plot twist is very duh but it was somewhat enjoyable, if only for the weird setting.
The combat system can be somewhat broken by abusing Fleece backstab as it will oneshot almost everything and if you go maces with Joseph the combination of the two of them togheter WILL trivialize the fights. There is a metric fuckton of fights and enemies and some pretty long and drawn battles that will tire you, especially near the end of the game, so I can see the point of just going for the op builds.

There is a mod available for the game and I did restart it with it installed for a second playthrough but I had to abandon it for irl general busyness.
All in all is a decent game imo.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I played a good chunk of it back around 2002 I think. I honestly don't remember much about the game, it didn't leave much of an impression.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
https://steamcommunity.com/app/275570/discussions/0/540736145533833802/

These are fixes of the Main Summoner mod.
Fixes:

- Much more interesting and detailed item descriptions (where possible)
- A greater variety of items available for sale in shops, in all the towns and cities of the game. You can now buy
reasonably decent weapons and armour earlier on, and some interesting magic items, providing you've got the money!
- Tweaked item costs, armour protection, weapon damage/speed, damage types, etc, for improved balance.
- Plate armour and Orenian Bougou-Dou armour gives much more protection, to compensate for the fact that you can't wear leg armour with it
(previously, chainmail armour and chainmail leggings together provided more protection than any suit plate armour, despite being much cheaper)
- Longswords and maces are now one-handed and can be used with a shield. All katanas, battleaxes and claymore-type swords are now 2-handed.
- Magic items can only be worn by characters with the skills that they affect. E.g only Flece can wear the Thief's Torque, only Joseph and Rosalind
can wear the Elemental Necklace, and only Joseph can wear rings of summoning.
- New or modified textures for some items, such as spell scrolls and unique weapons (like the Fiery Falchion and Logaros Longsword).
for all unique weapons
- Most enemies have a much larger detection radius (if they can see you).
- Tweaked resistances and weaknesses for some enemies (e.g elemental creatures like Fire Imps are always immune to or healed by their element and vulnerable
to their opposite, and golems and skeletons are vulnerable to blunt weapons and resistant/immune to piercing).
- Enemies now drop "loot" such as weapons slightly more often, and drop a greater variety of items in some cases.
- Enabled a few previously "monster-only" weapons such as the Bone Sword, Kothudin Lance and Bacite Staff. They now have
descriptions, proper costs (i.e not 20gp) and slightly tweaked damage/speed for balancing purposes. They can be bought from
some merchants or picked up from the enemies that carry them (e.g Bone Servants and Bacite Shamans)
- Fixed a few minor typos/bugs with item names in shop

Good Luck!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom