Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

laclongquan

Arcane
Baldur's Gate Reloaded is a good fun module for NWN2. You replay Bg1 on NWN2 engine, so you are assured of quality writing, quest, characters... You play on NWN2 engine so combat is pretty different from IE engine: fast, brutal, and lots of explosions~ Same deal with Icewind Dale module for NWN2.

Pool of Radiance Remastered is another quality module for NWN2. It recreate POR on NWN2 so you also get assured quality in writings, quests, music.... Especially music, I put it down as best music in all NWN2 content mods.

purpleblob

Savant
Definitely try The Aielund Saga, I enjoyed it more than any other NWN mods yet. A Dance with Rogues is pretty good too if you enjoy playing thief class and don't mind sexual advances from just about every male in the game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I had played a whole bunch of modules last year but I was too lazy to write up my impressions for all of them. However, somebody mentioned Honor Among Thieves again. I'll make it short.
That module has a prequel, The Cave of Songs, which I found to be way more enjoyable. The story of that one turned out a bit sad but it's a way better module than Honor Among Thieves imo.
I made a rogue/ranger character and reached like lvl 4 or 5 in Cave of Songs, then imported that char into Honor Among Thieves. The story of Honor isn't bad but the module has a number of glaring issues.
1) No matter what thieving quests/questlines you pick up, you only ever get XP for killing stuff, never for any thieving deeds. (mindboggling for a "thieves" module)
2) all combat is ultra-trivial and I'm sure an elf rogue 3/ranger x isn't exactly an overpowered build (dual-wielding at low levels just rocks the house, I know)

Thieving missions are by and large shit. You hardly ever find something interesting loot wise. Once you bought the best armor in the thieves guild that was pretty much it, nothing interesting to be found in the game anymore. (cave of songs had better loot and more interesting items tbh)
The epitome of this was the quest breaking into the thieves guild's vault, which was defended like Fort Knox, levels of guardians, puzzles, traps galore (no XP except for killing, remember). Then finally unlocking the safe you get like 5000 gold and a few low lvl gems. Lul. That was at a time I already had like 300K gold and nothing to spend it on. On the plus side, story wise the game has a whole bunch of different ending scenarios once you find the mc guffin, which is great of course, but you'll only ever learn this from reading the pdf because there's no reason to play this game ever again.

verdict: significant meh out of 5
As a thieving module Honor can't hold a candle to ADwR - not by a long shot. Like, nowhere even close.

Cave of Songs: 4/5 good effort

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want to try the Lankhmar nights module, anyone have any idea how finished it is?

titus

Arcane
Patron
The Maimed God's Saga is also pretty good, with a few unique concepts that I haven't seen anywhere else.

eXalted

Arcane
As a thieving module Honor can't hold a candle to ADwR - not by a long shot. Like, nowhere even close.
And here am I thinking it was only me. Really didn't find Honor Among Thieves as good as everyone says it is. There are some really masterful scripting at work but the whole module feels... flat with really no atmosphere.

I found myself replaying A Dance with Rogues and apart from the intro rape scene I have managed to evade every other sex scene.

Even the one on Lesson 4:
The lesson with Pia. You can both get wasted with wine and you just go to bed and sleep.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Definitely check out Swordflight, one of the best RPGs in 15 years.
Does it get better after that caravan ambush on the desert? There were some really promising interactions on the tavern but then the modder decided it was a good idea to go killing generic mobs on sewers and then generic mobs on the desert. Got really bored by that point. Only one character low level combat on NWN engine is just plain awful.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does it get better after that caravan ambush on the desert? There were some really promising interactions on the tavern but them the modder decided it was a good idea to go killing generic mobs on sewers and then generic mobs on the desert. Got really bored by that point. Only one character low level combat on NWN engine is just plain awful.

It definitely gets better, one of the dungeons in part 1 is very well made and you are almost there. Otherwise, yeah, the other dungeons aren't on par with that one, but they are still fun. Part 2 is overall even better, I do have some pet peeves with it, but it's great.

Jinn

Arcane
Definitely check out Swordflight, one of the best RPGs in 15 years.

Thanks for bringing this mod up! It's really damn good. I started it on a whim 3 hours ago and have just now been able to pull myself away, with those hours being occupied solely with the quests you receive inside the inn. Really quality writing, particularly for a mod, and the Calimport setting is excellent. I would urge even those who didn't particularly care for NWN OC (like myself) to try this out.

eXalted

Arcane
I would urge even those who didn't particularly care for NWN OC (like myself) to try this out.
No one cared about the OC.

My search for storyfag module module with many dialogue choices continues. Smeone with suggestions?

Lacrymas

Arcane
My search for storyfag module module with many dialogue choices continues. Smeone with suggestions?

I don't think there is anything like AoD, or even Fallout, out there in terms of modules. I am thinking of maybe making one some day.

Thanks for bringing this mod up! It's really damn good. I started it on a whim 3 hours ago and have just now been able to pull myself away, with those hours being occupied solely with the quests you receive inside the inn. Really quality writing, particularly for a mod, and the Calimport setting is excellent. I would urge even those who didn't particularly care for NWN OC (like myself) to try this out.

Keep going, it gets even better. Props to the author for making the inn a very strong starting location, with a lot of reactivity and possible quest solutions. There are also chapter 2 and 3 in the vault, with even more chapters currently being made.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Can I map keys to scroll the camera? Lately I am used to using WASD to move the camera left/right/whatever. I could not find scroll commands in options.

Also, is 8 levels monk 9 levels cleric a good starting build in MOTB?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, is 8 levels monk 9 levels cleric a good starting build in MOTB?

On their own, not really, pure monk is generally better if going unarmed dmg, or pure cleric is one of the best classes in general. If going kamas, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure rogue levels in there would be better. I'd go with something like Monk/Rogue/Fighter/Shadowdancer (only 1 lvl). If going Sacred Fist, then maybe, though I'm not sure if Sacred Fist itself is any good. There's also shuriken-focused Stormlord that cleric/monk would be good for. You can finish the game with any class combo though.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
i'm glad people are discovering Cave of Songs again after all this time, but Baldercan's masterpiece (and head and shoulders the best NWN module) is The Prophet. In fact you can import your Cave of Songs character directly into the Prophet prelude (that demon's eye ring is cheesey but oh so wonderful).

Good for any build; I used my standard halfiling rogue/ druid/ CoT. If you are going to take a weapon focus, you might consider clubs.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm playing Dark Energy right now. It's nice. Setting is... bizarre, to say the least, and I'm not yet sure if it's written to be the way it is or it's simply written badly (I hope for the former). Very linear module, which is not my style, and I managed to break it very early on with my exploring (had to restart whole thing, one trigger didn’t fire, I guess because I visited a location before I was supposed to). Module gives some choices but I fear that there are no true consequences, but it's still too soon to tell. The premise is unique and I’m having some fun playing Dark Energy because of that, but I’m feeling that it wasn’t utilized to its full abilities, not nearly, and it’s sad.

Jazz_

Arcane
Am I the only one who found ADWR tedious? Well maybe it gets better as you play, dunno, but I dropped it trying to complete all the various herrands around the city, those chores were boring af.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom