Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The purple prose is mostly in descriptions and it isn't that bad. He said Dialogues are fine. I'm having fun so far.

Don't tell me there is nothing in the UI that works with the Tides except that little icon in the corner?

Yes, you can only see your dominant tides in that little icon.

But do they have a meaningful impact in the game?

Not that I experienced.

If they have an effect, then that effect isn't signaled, so I might have missed it, but in my experience dispositions in Pillars were much more meaningful, and they were mostly fluff. In Torment they seem to be purely fluff.

Maybe they can change some things in the ending slides, but my ending in particular didn't.

pomenitul

Arbiter
So I guess our logic here is that within all reviews with 8-9-10, we find one obscure greek dude (I've never heard of this site in my life and I'm greek too) that rated with a 6 and we focus on him? Seems logical!
:greatjob:

uZC5fF9.gif

GloomFrost

Arcane
A review on a Greek site ragequit.gr is very negative of the game giving it 60/100. It mentions no meaningful combat, small campaign endings based solely on last minute choices. Guys it doesn't sound good at all...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Endings based on last minute choices??? 4 years you had InXile, 4 God damn years!!!!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So I guess our logic here is that within all reviews with 8-9-10, we find one obscure greek dude (I've never heard of this site in my life and I'm greek too) that rated with a 6 and we focus on him? Seems logical!

It's not the number of reviews that matter, it's the quality of the argumentation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you updated from Early Access to the full release, I'd Verify Integrity before starting the game. You never know what screwed up old files you have in there.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Endings based on last minute choices??? 4 years you had InXile, 4 God damn years!!!!

A team of writers, better technology, more than 10 years of acquired knowledge and the game is much worse in every aspect. Avellone wrote PS:T all by himself in one year, alone. The decline is real.

Tigranes

Arcane

A team of writers, better technology, more than 10 years of acquired knowledge and the game is much worse in every aspect. Avellone wrote PS:T all by himself in one year, alone. The decline is real.

No, no - they wrote with a whole team instead of one guy, they followed up on a classic instead of making an original game, between those handicaps they gave themselves it's good job they made a halfway working game!

Vagiel

Augur
Well I really hope the game is good. Wasteland was OK and the premise is nice so I am all for it but those guys I trust. The had I believe the first review for underail and a very positive one at that.

Please codex prove those poverty stricken Greeks wrong and let me enjoy this game. After a year when it's patched and ready.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A team of writers...

This is a very big problem. Coherency and style can't be sustained with a lot of cooks in any creative endeavor, I once composed a score for a short film with a few other people and it was hell. The final result was utter garbage, unintelligible gibberish and incoherent musical ideas, just plain awful. You probably need an editor + a lead writer who reads everything everyone writes and rewrites the obvious clashes for teams to work well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Game crashed after five minutes. All i wanted to do was play the damn game.
It crashed for me during first tutorial crisis LOL. This does not bode well...
EDIT: and there is no save game until that moment lol

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
A team of writers...

This is a very big problem. Coherency and style can't be sustained with a lot of cooks in any creative endeavor, I once composed a score for a short film with a few other people and it was hell. The final result was utter garbage, unintelligible gibberish and incoherent musical ideas, just plain awful.

Agree 100%. Even if they had relied on just one bad writer, it would still be better than this.

nikolokolus

Arcane
First Impression:
Why in the hell, did they decide to reveal the entire mystery of your existence in the first 30 minutes? What a blown opportunity.
Second Impression:
They should have spent some of that Kickstarter loot on an editor; the writing is beyond purple and full of awkward metaphors. I feel like I'm reading bad fanfic half the time.

Sentinel

Arcane
Playing the game, I like how you can apparently solve situations by talking to people and aren't forced into combat all the time. I also like how you can use environment a lot (for example finding that mace by breaking some shit, or just exploring and interacting with odd things in the world). Combat's not too terrible, to be honest, but the companions are pure shit. Pretty sure I've already guessed the entire story, but we'll see. Might be a 5/10 game with potential for a sequel.

Oh and I really like the soundtrack so far. There are some very good, mellow tracks.

GloomFrost

Arcane
A team of writers...

This is a very big problem. Coherency and style can't be sustained with a lot of cooks in any creative endeavor, I once composed a score for a short film with a few other people and it was hell. The final result was utter garbage, unintelligible gibberish and incoherent musical ideas, just plain awful.

Agree 100%. Even if they had relied on just one bad writer, it would still be better than this.
Yeah but one of the biggest selling points of the kickstarter was the "writing team" Mitozda, Avellone, Zeits,Cook... god knows who else. Looks like it didnt work as planned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Again, there was no huge writing team of a dozen people. This is a misconception that's been around since the Kickstarter. The game was written in practice by basically two people with two or three others helping them. I think PoE may have actually had more people dedicated to writing companions.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Avellone wrote PS:T all by himself in one year, alone.

I guess he also suffers from multiple personality disorder and 7 additional designers in PS:T credits are all his aliases.

Look, I will be the first to criticize the excess of cult personality here. I didn’t say he designed the game by himself. I said that he wrote the game by itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom