Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a French review that contrasts with the overall very positive reviews.

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-torment-tides-of-numenera-SU3050117574t.html#pc

It's a good / very good website that goes quite in depth in their reviews and treatment of news.

To sum it up:
- Very good writting
One review says that the writing is very good. Some other says it is terrible. This is why nobody should care about reviews, they are just subjective ramblings of people.
By the way, J_C, not to derail this thread, but I think the guy who did the marketing for your game didn't do it properly. No embargo, no review copies for tier-a sites with big knowledge about the subject such as IGN, and so on and so forth. He didn't even have Donald Trump tweet about it. Sad!

I liked your game btw :love:

Ravel myluv

Learned
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a French review that contrasts with the overall very positive reviews.

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-torment-tides-of-numenera-SU3050117574t.html#pc

It's a good / very good website that goes quite in depth in their reviews and treatment of news.

To sum it up:
- Very good writting
One review says that the writing is very good. Some other says it is terrible. This is why nobody should care about reviews, they are just subjective ramblings of people.
Well it depends the level of trust you put in said reviewer, or how you generally relate to his taste in games.

In that case I'm familiar with his work and trust him on his reviews.

Sentinel

Arcane
*Ahem*

2i0qbev.png

Doma

Augur
So far I am having fun with it. Not as hooked as I was right from the start when playing Pillars, but it has a lot of potential.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I pirated the game to see how bad it is:

- The intro is cancer.

- The bizarre world concept made it feel artificial and unimaginative. It feels like a generic concept of futuristic setting. You really don’t give a shit about the game world because nothing seems interesting.

- The combat crisis are bad, because there is no real character building behind it, and the itemization is bare bones.

- The UI is simplistic but does the job, because the game mechanics are also simplistic.

- The skill checks are a joke, because you can burn your stats to pass them. You can also rest in certain places or use consumables to replenish stats, practically guaranteeing that you can abuse the system. In fact, if you manage a critical success, you don't waste any stats.

- The gameplay revolves around going from point A to point B and beating skill checks – unless if you are crazy enough to get into fights. But since the skill checks are a joke, the gameplay is a joke. Some people complained about the harsh skill checks in AoD. ToN is what AoD would look like if it had worse combat, worse itemization, worse writing, no risk of failure and better graphics.

- The only positive thing that I can say about the game is the ability to scan thoughts in dialogues makes things more interesting.

I will try to play a few more minutes to see if there is anything more interesting, but I’m not hopeful.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Only made it about 5 minutes into the game. I found the intro narration (with the fall) terrible, and the first very small area (character creation, I'm guessing?) uninteresting. Will try more later, but I quit when I reached the mirror near the very beginning.

(Note: I backed this and didn't request a refund because I'm lazy)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jesus, you're a fucking dumbshit moron. The point is that maybe it's because one person (Avellone) wrote most of it

"Avellone wrote PS:T all by himself,, alone." =====> "Avellone wrote most of it". It's cute how after I caught Lurker King spewing utter nonsense, you're coming with a helping hand, maybe change his words a little bit so he looks less full of shit. It's always encouraging when people with disabilities try to help each other.

Yeah, I'm sure you feel very clever in how you dodged this.

It's irrelevant, moron. If you actually had ANY clue at all about what you're talking, you'd know he might as well have written it all by himself. Especially considering that the parts that he didn't are the parts that are worse.
Therefore: kill yourself. You are really brain damaged if you can't even grasp simple concepts like these.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's p. dumb that you can use your companion stat pools for personal checks

Yes, was just about to pop in and say that. Many of responses don't make sense after that, because it's clear they are talking to you, as opposed to the companion who passed the check. Should've gone with the NWN2 approach to this. Anyway, released the many-gendered xirmonster, died immediately to it and went to the cannibal church. Some stuff is cool up to now, but I really haven't done anything apart from telling Callistege and Aligern to fuck off, recruiting Tybir (though will probably tell him to fuck off too) and dying to the non-gender-binary tentacle organism. The cannibals are cool. Only 2 social xp for everything up to now seems low.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
*Ahem*
2i0qbev.png

You're looking very hard to find agenda that is not there.. Unless you know the gender of:mhd: and feel offended.
You're right it's all just a big coincidence.
Why does its gender even matter at all? It has 0 relevance in the conversation and quest.

I don't know.. you're not curious about dictopuses? You can ask a lot of loredump questions and this is what bothers you?
You are a living proof that some anti-SJW folks get as easily triggered as libruls. Just mention "gender" in dialogue and it is FULL OF LEFTARD SJW PROPAGANDA TRIGGERED DONALD HELP!

If anything you should applaud this dialogue, as that shitlord assumed gender of the creature just so it is convenient for him. This should trigger SJW like crazy!

saeci

Arcane
Played for a bit and conclusion is that game is mediocre, just like Fargos last venture.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game is so much worse than I thought. I didn't have any hopes for this game and is still worse than I expected. Even W2 and PoE is better than this. InXile dropped the ball badly.

Sentinel

Arcane
*Ahem*
2i0qbev.png

You're looking very hard to find agenda that is not there.. Unless you know the gender of:mhd: and feel offended.
You're right it's all just a big coincidence.
Why does its gender even matter at all? It has 0 relevance in the conversation and quest.

I don't know.. you're not curious about dictopuses? You can ask a lot of loredump questions and this is what bothers you?
You are a living proof that some anti-SJW folks get as easily triggered as libruls. Just mention "gender" in dialogue and it is FULL OF LEFTARD SJW PROPAGANDA TRIGGERED DONALD HELP!

If anything you should applaud this dialogue, as that shitlord assumed gender of the creature just so it is convenient for him. This should trigger SJW like crazy!
You're the one triggered here mate. You're so triggered that you immediately start projecting. I only pointed it out, you saw no outrage from me.
I think it's a meaningless question, it makes no difference whatsoever, has no impact, has no relevance, there's literally 0 point in asking it. It's completely forced. I already knew from the moment I saw the character portraits and researched into the Numenera setting what to expect, so this doesn't exactly surprise me. I didn't give InXile my money so I'm really not that upset.
You're just a fool if you actually think the question is completely innocent.

Sentinel

Arcane
hwhat are you two raging about it's just a squid in a jar
I wanna fuck the squid though so its gender is important to determine my sexuality.

About the game, am I missing a "rest" button somewhere, or do I have to go back to the "inn" in the city (meaning multiple map transitions) everytime I want to rest? I'm a supply hoarder ("just save it until you need it later in the game") so I really fucking hate having to use those skill restoring items. I know there area areas where you can rest but so far I only found that woman with the relaxing perfume.

hpstg

Savant
Just tried it out with controllers.

I know you all said the UI was consolized, but its an exceptionally clunky UI so.

Which controller? I really want to crank up the text to presbyopia large and play on the couch because I would prefer not to spend that time on the PC desk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom