Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Redshirt #42

Augur
Whoa nelly, you can actually die in the game before you even get to the actual character creation if you choose to go full retard and dive faster. I thought this game was supposed to be console-friendly!?

Sentinel

Arcane
Just tried it out with controllers.

I know you all said the UI was consolized, but its an exceptionally clunky UI so.

Which controller? I really want to crank up the text to presbyopia large and play on the couch because I would prefer not to spend that time on the PC desk.
game has config for ps4, xbone and steam controller.

1z3yseu.png

Hellion

Arcane
About the game, am I missing a "rest" button somewhere, or do I have to go back to the "inn" in the city (meaning multiple map transitions) everytime I want to rest?

In Sagus Cliffs you can only rest at that woman you mentioned next to the airship port, or at the Cult of the Changing God camp (you might have to finish their clock quest first). No rest or "set camp" buttons or anything like that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, that's true. Two other things that kinda bother me so far are the low social dialogue xp, like Lacrymas says, and not being able to follow up on what you learn from scan thoughts quite often.

Not only that, but many dialogues are left hanging, like they will lead up to something if you talk to another character but they never do. Like the unhappy cannibal lady. You can't even mention her to the cannibal leader at all.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Okay, some first impressions.

The world and the lore are fantastic, I have not seen an RPG this fresh and original since...well, since PS:T.

UI and HUD could have been better, they have this very consolish popups explaining the mechanics, but I still messed up my first combat round , the controls are just weird.

Graphics are uneven - the locations seem amazing at first and then a shit texture is poking you in the eye. Really they should have gone for smaller game but keep consistent quality, art should have been critical for a game like this.

Music is brilliant, Mark Morgan outdid himself this time. After WL2 I was worried the guy has lost his touch, but this is great.

Combat mechanics are...curious, I have to see more of it.

Skill checks are crap, anyone with half a brain will recognize them instantly as abusable. I milked first two companions for points then ditched them.

Tides are superficial nonsense.

Overall it looks very good, but that's about it. If it didn't have to measure up to PS:T the reception would have been better, but it does. Hopefully it improves once the plot picks up.

One thing I gotta say though, it's the first big KS RPG that actually feels like made with oldschool sensibilities. It's a bizzare feeling to be in 2017 and play a game so heavy on text, so light on action and with decent production values. You can almost play it like a point&click adventure. A game like this shouldn't even exist in this day and age, but it does, and that's encouraging even with all the shortcomings.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, that's true. Two other things that kinda bother me so far are the low social dialogue xp, like Lacrymas says, and not being able to follow up on what you learn from scan thoughts quite often.

Not only that, but many dialogues are left hanging, like they will lead up to something if you talk to another character but they never do. Like the unhappy cannibal lady. You can't even mention her to the cannibal leader at all.
Actually I think there is a sidequest with that character, if I remember correctly from the beta, so that might provide some follow up. Haven't done it in this playthrough yet though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Don't know which one is the Numenera thread were we can purely discuss the gameplay, so I'll post it here:

I have the Scan Thoughts ability, or whatever it is called. It's a nice ability... except during my first proper conversation in the game (with the two companions), it unlocks no new dialogue options. It's pretty stupid, and if the game keeps on like this in regarding to the ability, it will have been a completely wasted opportunity. Imagine the possibilities of revealing that you can read other people's thoughts and how they would react to that.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
hwhat are you two raging about it's just a squid in a jar
I wanna fuck the squid though so its gender is important to determine my sexuality.
From later in the game:
"A debauchee, his other diversions exhausted, sought the clammy embrace of the nychthemeron. The romance ended tastefully, as did the libertine."

Sòren

Arcane
are weapons and armor even important in this game? considering the very scarce amount of combat, i don't even know why anyone would want to play a glaive.

it would probably have been smarter if they made classes that actually made a difference in non-combat situations. like in Bloodlines. but there isn't even any stealth in this game :?

Ivan

Arcane
reloaded to see what would happen if I claimed to be Changing God. Evidently just claiming something equals convincing in this game.

SAD

Moth

Learned
If TTON ever manages to get a sequel/tie-in/follow up/successor, it should be a Shadowrun style game about the main cast of the Third Eye.

That is all.

Oh, and the credit roll should have a certain BOC song playing in it.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Claimed to whom? There are a lot of people who won't believe you when you say that.
I was referring to a cheevo whereby
if you claim to be the C.G. to the cult, they readily believe you
They don't believe you completely though, when you go through all of that guy's dialogue he says three things that are bullshit to see if you spot it in order to test you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
- The gameplay revolves around going from point A to point B and beating skill checks – unless if you are crazy enough to get into fights. But since the skill checks are a joke, the gameplay is a joke. Some people complained about the harsh skill checks in AoD. ToN is what AoD would look like if it had worse combat, worse itemization, worse writing, no risk of failure and better graphics.
Could have been worse. Gameplay could have revolved around teleporting from place to place and beating skill checks :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The characters move as a unit out of combat so there's no positioning involved. Obvious console decline.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just logged in to let you fine gents know that I never played Planescape, was lukewarm on Wasteland 2, purchased a review copy of Tides on ebay and it's for the PS4.

Carry on.
Why would anyone purchase a shady copy of the game instead of pirating? If you don't want to support the dev, just go to the pirate bay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom