Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I mean I guess that's the point
Then why are you crying about your incompetence? Dont play Ironman if you dont have enough meta.

Who are you?

11.jpg

Oh, sorry. Wrong game.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Who cares?
YOU whine for a whole paragraph starting with dumb garbage like this "the problem with Ironman in a game like this" - not me.
There is no problem with Ironman ESPECIALLY in a game like this. There is a problem with YOU.
No one plays Stone Soup and cries about jellies or some shit killing them. And yet here we are.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Who cares?
YOU whine for a whole paragraph starting with dumb garbage like this "the problem with Ironman in a game like this" - not me.
There is no problem with Ironman ESPECIALLY in a game like this. There is a problem with YOU.
No one plays Stone Soup and cries about jellies or some shit killing them. And yet here we are.

Cool story.

Drew

Savant
Ironman on a first save is pretty dumb. Going in completely blind and not being allowed to try a bunch of different things vs. the same opponents seems like exactly not what you'd want to do while learning to break a game.

RK47

Patron
He learned to walk when he's just 3 seconds old, Drew. Git gud.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Has anyone started a new campaign since the latest patch?

This is obviously not empirical, but I've started 6 campaigns, and played through the very first tutorial fight (not the final fight with Hoggart) and then looked at the two towns you start with.

The quality of the starting bros in your band are of a lower quality (in previous patches they started with near 60 in melee and good stars).
EDIT: Ok, I think the stars are all the same, im seeing lower numbers because my bros are starting with bad traits, like Fat and Short - which I didn't notice could happen before.

And I have yet to find an early game recruit with a star in melee.

The most recent time I did this, the "large" town you get a quest to go to (recruit 3 men, gear your party) only had 3 recruits, and all 3 of them were >1000g to hire.

Not a big deal, as I frequently travel all over to find my initial batch of bros, but that was an unusual thing to see.

Again, I know this is anecdotal, and the patch notes mentioned some balancing, I was just curious if anyone else saw anything similar.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Has anyone started a new campaign since the latest patch?

This is obviously not empirical, but I've started 6 campaigns, and played through the very first tutorial fight (not the final fight with Hoggart) and then looked at the two towns you start with.

The quality of the starting bros in your band are of a lower quality (in previous patches they started with near 60 in melee and good stars).
EDIT: Ok, I think the stars are all the same, im seeing lower numbers because my bros are starting with bad traits, like Fat and Short - which I didn't notice could happen before.

And I have yet to find an early game recruit with a star in melee.

The most recent time I did this, the "large" town you get a quest to go to (recruit 3 men, gear your party) only had 3 recruits, and all 3 of them were >1000g to hire.

Not a big deal, as I frequently travel all over to find my initial batch of bros, but that was an unusual thing to see.

Again, I know this is anecdotal, and the patch notes mentioned some balancing, I was just curious if anyone else saw anything similar.

Ok, It's just anecdotal bad luck.

On the very next batch, I found 1 melee star and 2 melee star. I still have a short bro and a fat bro for starters though, lol.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
How much trading do you guys do in the game?
I do it for two things:
1) So that I'm earning my keep while hunting for contracts/new hires/equipment during the mid to late game.
2) I'll do it in a highly productive dyad or cluster of cities where I have a short trade route and plenty of contracts to get the best return.

I'm almost always running with some trade goods if I'm moving around.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I do it for two things:
1) So that I'm earning my keep while hunting for contracts/new hires/equipment during the mid to late game.
2) I'll do it in a highly productive dyad or cluster of cities where I have a short trade route and plenty of contracts to get the best return.

Do you ever buy them at above value? I find trade items as loot all the time, but I super rarely ever find them for sale at below value. I think once I found some clay that I bought and sold at a net 50g per brick pile (which was awesome).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
New Event for me! Just found a wandering dog that we took in as the company mascot. They named it Battle Brother even though the company name is "Deus Vult".

Super cool.

RK47

Patron
If you don't do trading, you are turning away free coin.
The higher your relations to a town, the lower their selling price and the higher their buying price.
Mouse-over the small facilities outside to give you a clue of what each town's speciality is:
- Tool Workshop = Cheap repair tools
- Gem mine = Gems. Good for trading
- Dye Camp = Dye. Great returns for trading.
etc

Some are commodities for trading only, while others are food (bread, wine, etc) - these can be bought for cheap if you have good relations and sold at higher price elsewhere. My highest record was Gems I sold for 150g profit per transaction.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I do it for two things:

Do you ever buy them at above value? I find trade items as loot all the time, but I super rarely ever find them for sale at below value. I think once I found some clay that I bought and sold at a net 50g per brick pile (which was awesome).

Buy low, sell high, just like the real-world peat stock market.

You can generally find production spots, buy from there, and sell the goods when you swing into a big city where the rich folk hang out. This was in the wall of tutorial text you skipped over. :lol:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I do it for two things:

Yes, I will, but no more than ~125% of the value generally. Once you've pumped relations with a town to friendly or better (or they have high spirits from a contract turned in), you'll see stuff at below--sometimes way below--the value. You can easily start doubling your profits on trade goods if you're fastidious about where you buy and sell and when. sser and RK47 are giving good advice.

RK47

Patron
I recommend opening a notebook and write what each town has too.
Sometimes when you need a temple, you really can't waste 2-3 days of traveling to the wrong town.
Maybe the game should have an in-game editable journal lah. rapsdjff

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I recommend opening a notebook and write what each town has too.
Sometimes when you need a temple, you really can't waste 2-3 days of traveling to the wrong town.
Maybe the game should have an in-game editable journal lah. rapsdjff
Once you've visited a place, the facilities in a town are visible in the tool tip when you hover over.

Humanophage

Arcane
The interface is overall all right, but would definitely benefit from improvements.

1. Make it easier to switch weapons. Just add an additional action button to switch the weapon - it is quite tedious to open the interface for almost every brother many times in a single fight.
2. A notebook would be very useful, especially for trade and general planning.
3. It would be also be good to be able to make marks on the map, like in Civilization 4, or at least put pins, as in Baldur's Gate.
4. It would be good to have a statistics screen for brothers, including dead ones. A sortable spreadsheet with all of their skills is especially vital. A statistics screen for cities is also welcome. It isn't just useful, it actually adds to immersion because you get a better feel of the map.

1 and 4 are particularly important for people with slow computers, because opening the screen for each brother induces lag.

Drew

Savant
1 and 4 are particularly important for people with slow computers
I've found opening my inventory while in a town market to almost always hang for a second or two, and my computer is definitely nowhere near slow. Aging, for sure, but hard to call it slow when there are still people running core2duos and shit.

Thonius

Arcane
aTtbIqQ.jpg

The only problem with Ironman is that it makes hiring bros really hard. You see a recruit who holds a big knife for example cost ton of money etc. You hire him only to discover that he got 2 stars in ranged defense 2 in resolve 2 in ranged combat. Not very handy to have during undead scourge. Wasted money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom