Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played it yesterday for a couple of hours, and impression so far is overall positive. The intro/tutorial scene with the Spectre got reworked, and flows much better than what I remember from beta. I mean, if we are going to compare it to PST on every level, who's gonna enjoy it? It does a good job on exploring similar themes, and that's all I can ask from a PST spiritual successor but that feeling I got waking up in the Mortuary... and then exploring it. It was genius, and I don't think I'll ever get that with a game ever again.
Right now by biggest disappointment can be summed up like this:

Inxile narrative designer: "Hey player, come here, come here, I have some things to show you. You know, the story of the Changing God? It is an exciting tale of betrayal, mystery and stuff."
Me: Dude, you already spoilered your plot on the trailer, all you had to say, I already know.
Inxile narrative designer: "But, but, I will tell you more of that stuff and how the Changing God is misterious and a cool antagonist."
Me: "Don't care the slightest... Oh... nice, those robots here are cool, can the story be about them?"
Inxile narrative designer: "But don't you want to know your past? It is cool I promise you."
Me: "My character past or the Changing God past? I don't feel responsible for any of that shit so I couldn't care the slightest."
Inxile narrative designer: "But your companions are curious about you past, don't you care about them?"
Me: "Ohh... nice, those psychic guys on that tavern are incredibly cool, can I joy them?"
Inxile narrative designer: "No, they aren't your companions."
Me: DeepOcean look to the stars with a deep sad feeling of unrealized potential "A pity then."
Inxile narrative designer: "Look, Alligern is trying to say something amusing to you."
Me: "DeepOcean all of sudden has a vivid memory manifest of an old floating skull on an ancient Mortuary "Can you... I dunno, add a floating skull that makes silly jokes on your game?"
Inxile narrative designer: "That would be too silly, from where did you get this strange idea?"
Me: "Nah, just thinking on a silly old game."
Inxile narrative designer: "Hey, we have a companion that is a comic relief character too, name is Arritis, he has a majestic hair..."
Me:"Ohh... those insect people that eat electricity are cool, can I recruit one of them?"

DeepOcean

Arcane
So how is the voice acting?

HzphNGr.jpg
Fine, she/him/xir/it just needed to realease her queer self on the voice over. I dunno, at least tranny Aligern would be a funny character.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I like the game thus far, but man the combat stinks. A decent combat system is an achievement, which cannot be unlocked in this day an age...

It takes a really special person to come up with such a monstrosity as numenera combat. It's the first time I am playing a game that: "Wants to be a Dragon!" itself.

Naraya

Arcane
For now I'm having much more fun than with PoE, even though PoE felt more polished in general. I especially like that there are almost no voiceovers which makes actually reading the dialogue that more comfortable, and conversations are pretty interesting without being humongous lore-dumps, like in PoE.

Also, for some reason graphics and colours in ToN look very washed-out to me, so I'm using some filters to make it look better (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it): http://imgur.com/a/9pWuO

edit: I must've been blind or drunk or both. Playing a bit more made me install PoE: The White March for the first time - looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Turok

Erudite
I can't play it right now. I will lost the inmershun if i only play as a casual gamer, this games have to be played until your eyes get all red and you hear the birds and the gallos of the morning.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
For now it is far interesting to read you guys about Numazuma, then try to even pirate it.
And after I read these 7 pages, I hardly can see I'll be interested in it in teh fuchche.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Steamspy only has data until 2/27, so give them a few more days before we declare TToN a failure.

For now I'm having much more fun than with PoE, even though PoE felt more polished in general. I especially like that there are almost no voiceovers which makes actually reading the dialogue that more comfortable, and conversations are pretty interesting without being humongous lore-dumps, like in PoE.

Also, for some reason graphics and colours in ToN look very washed-out to me, so I'm using some filters to make it look better (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it): http://imgur.com/a/9pWuO

Why are you trying to make the game look like Torchlight? LOL

Direwolf

Arcane
He's fucking with you.
Thank god... I completely forgot there are actual people on the Internet who could spoil the whole game or movie like that, although (most of the )people here do seem to have standards.
I'm gonna stop reading endless threads about it and just play it, with WL2 DC being good it gives me a reasonable hope this one will be too. Deep breath... here I go

Only faggots are afraid of spoilers.

Actually really enjoying this so far. It helps that it doesn't feel like PS:T, other than their both being story-fag games, both going for the 'superhero' angle instead of the 'plucky adventurer' angle, and the extent and manner of their C&C.

Combat is much better than in PS:T, though that's an incredibly low bar (perhaps it would be better to say 'combat isn't wholly superfluous trash, unlike PS:T').

I'm generally trying to avoid the temptation to 'quick-save' before each interaction, but I've done it a couple of times to test what happens when you lose a fight, or take the 'not what you'd normally do in a crpg' option (pissing off characters, surrendering to the group that wants to disect you instead of fighting them to avoid kidnap), and so far there actually seems to be more replayability than PS:T, in that there's a lot of stuff you'll only get from losing certain fights or taking what look like sub-optimal choices (i.e. very much a story-fag CYOA game like PS:T, but enjoyable for much the same reasons as PS:T).

Not in a position yet to judge the overall story, or whether it will have the same weight as PS:T, but definitely enjoying the moment-to-moment stuff, bearing in mind that even though PS:T foreshadows almost every major event very early, on a first playthrough it takes quite a long time to shift from 'moment to moment interactions' to realising how those interactions tie into the overall plot.

Murk

Arcane
Backer content, like this game's UI, was a mistake.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Combat is much better than in PS:T, though that's an incredibly low bar (perhaps it would be better to say 'combat isn't wholly superfluous trash, unlike PS:T').

How is that? At least PST had fucking atributes and was based on D&D. Numenera so awkward I can't even describe it.

Backer content, like this game's UI, was a mistake.

A yeah, the UI gate UIghazi. How could I forget. Still nobody said TTON UI is worse than UI of W3, so there may still be hope.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.

7000 people playing on launch date.

"Mostly Positive" Steam user rating.

Clearly a slam-dunk success story!
Are you saying that a text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands? Who would have thought? This number stil puts it into the Top 70 played games on Steam today, which has juggernauts like CSGO DOtA, GTA, Rocket League etc.

Ruzen

Savant
Jebus, soon the "LOL, Torment 2 is a failure because it has only sold 900 thousand" comments will arrive. The Codex is truly tull of idiots.

Are you saying that a text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands? Who would have thought? This number stil puts it into the Top 70 played games on Steam today, which has juggernauts like CSGO DOtA, GTA, Rocket League etc.

Why are you so defensive about this?
We are talking about launch day numbers. A game -which is easily top 10 material pc game- is finally getting a sequel, backed by +75K people, raised more than 4.2M.
Remember these numbers! This looks like a successful campaign.

Now, here are the launch numbers.
Steam:
Highest number of 7.4K people peaked in the launch days. 6K people in last 24 hours which mean It's falling. Received %78 Positive rating by only 318 people who bothered to write a review. Be mind that in last two weeks 7.5K people played Pillars.
GoG: Only 97 people bothered writing a review with 4 stars. If I remember correctly Planescape: Torment is the highest selling game in GoG!

It is clear that something is horribly wrong. I personally blame the combat being not fun. Do you have any real thoughts about this or are you keep going to comment from 2007 and say:" text heavy old-school-ish RPG is not played by tens of thousands " or compare RPG's with e-sports?

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is a game that had 74,405 backers.
Pillars of Eternity had 73,986.
Divinity: Original Sin had 19,541.

Why POE had a 30k peak with comparable numbers?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
This is a game that had 74,405 backers.
Pillars of Eternity had 73,986.
Divinity: Original Sin had 19,541.

Why POE had a 30k peak with comparable numbers?

Oooh a Tasseography practitioner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom