Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GiN hands out GotY awards

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon

<a href=http://www.gameindustry.com>Game Industry News</a>' clearly retarded readers have finally voted for the bestest and the awesomest games of 200<b>4</b>, and it <a href=http://www.gameindustry.com/awards/04winners.asp>looks like</a> <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/games/games_bloodmoon.html>Bloodmoon</a> is the <b>Best Game of the Year</b> and <b>Best RPG</b>, while <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic>KotOR</a> was recognized as <b>The Best Bioware Star Wars Single Player RPG for XBOX</b> or something like that.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Bloodmoon</b>: The thousands of players who voted for Bloodmoon expressed both joy and sorrow in regards to this add-on adventure for the popular Morrowind RPG. Both PC and Xbox players had a fantastic time adventuring within the realms of Morrowind, but were sad that the series is probably over. Bloodmoon adds both vast outdoor landscapes as well as dark dungeons that can be explored in first person. Non-player character intelligence is some of the best in the world. They will recognize your character, sing songs in your honor and direct you on fantastic quests that end in a climatic conclusion that many say is better than even the original game. Bloodmoon is a perfect finale to a series that sets a high bar for role-playing games, one that everyone else is still trying to reach.
<br>
<br>
<b>KotOR</b>: This is without a doubt the best single player Star Wars game ever created. The game looks so good and plays so well, that its mere existence prompted many people go out and purchase an Xbox. When a game is driving console sales, you know it's a good title. Knights features nonlinear gameplay, interesting non-player characters, a good role-playing interface and both beautiful graphics and incredible sound. Anyone who likes either role-playing or Star Wars simply must get this title for their Xbox. </blockquote>Role-playing interface, huh? Cool
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Nightjed

Liturgist
The Best Bioware Star Wars Single Player RPG ? how many games did fit in that category ?, it must have been a really hard to chose just one! :shock:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Far from the best?! They sing you songs and direct you on quests! What more can you ask from a good NPC?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
Far from the best?! They sing you songs and direct you on quests! What more can you ask from a good NPC?

Throw in jiggly boobies and you got a trifecta :P

Ortchel

Liturgist
Hey now, hey now.

I'm here to defend Bloodmoon if anybodys got fightin wurds.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
[quote="Spazmo"

Morrowind--and, by extension, all its expansions--is shit.[/quote]

A typical case of style of substance.[/list][/code]

And I can't figure out how to use this thing...DAMN IT!!!

Jarinor

Liturgist
Bloodmoon is a perfect finale to a series that sets a high bar for role-playing games, one that everyone else is still trying to reach.

No, I'm quite sure I reached that bar when I climbed that fucking mountain in MW and defeated the bad guy, what's his face, that an entire regiment of elite soldiers couldn't get to, but a single hero could. Despite the fact that I WAS most definitely mortal, the other 'immortal' gods couldn't do shit about it.

geminito

Liturgist
Jarinor said:
No, I'm quite sure I reached that bar when I climbed that fucking mountain in MW and defeated the bad guy, what's his face, that an entire regiment of elite soldiers couldn't get to, but a single hero could. Despite the fact that I WAS most definitely mortal, the other 'immortal' gods couldn't do shit about it.

Isn't that how every RPG works??
Thanks, try again.

Stark

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Far from the best?! They sing you songs and direct you on quests!

seriously? i mean, they really sing songs ala America idol style when i'm in the vicinity???

never bought bloodmoon but if NPC start singing songs and swaying their hips when i'm near... that's pretty refreshing for a rpg.

What more can you ask from a good NPC?

how about in addition to song singing they start doing some chicken dance? that'll be cool.

Anonymous

The only NPC I know of that 'sings' is that candy guy who rhymes when he talks, and he stands in one place all day.

Apparently these people are amazed by NPCs that play a random voice clip whenever you walk near them.

The dont join you, it says they 'direct' you.. I guess someone really loves the Walking Dictionary style..

Isn't that how every RPG works??
Thanks, try again.

I think you mean every bad RPG.

The Jedi Knight/Outcast games are a ton better than KOTOR.

Fireblade

Erudite
Jung said:
MW series over? WOOHOO! I didn't play Bloodmoon, but if the NPC's are even twice as smart as MW's, then they certainly are far from the best.

What? It seemed to me like every NPC in Morrowind was a real brainiac, a walking encyclopedia. Or, at the very least, they all owned copies of the same encyclopedia, and had studied them pretty well, because they'd all give the exact same answers to hundreds of keywords/questions.

You guys are full of shit. If morrowind had been in isometric, had better dialogue and a more coherent story, better quests and didn't take hours to get from place to place you know you would have loved it. :x

Anonymous

Yeah, if Morrowind wasnt Morrowind, IT WOULD OF RULED. Except if it was NWN. Or Baldur's Gate, Or...etc..

Stark

Liturgist
If morrowind had been in isometric, had better dialogue and a more coherent story, better quests and didn't take hours to get from place to place you know you would have loved it

actually, i just need morrowind to have better dialog and better combat. really hate talking to walking search engines. i take that back. they don't even walk alot.

Jarinor

Liturgist
Actually, I could (just) put up with the combat engine. The mobile search engines I could handle. The story was something that I didn't really pay much attention to. I quite liked the exploration, and the amount of things to see and do.

What killed the game for me was how little impact you could have on the game world - they had this huge, nicely populated island, and they didn't implement anything that could have made it interesting. There was no physics engine - I can die from falling from a great height, but I can't crush anyone by falling on them? I was prepared to live with that...but when I can be the head of the Mages Guild, leader of the Telvanni, Prelate (or whatever it is) of the Temple and possibly lead the Warriors Guild as well (can't quite remember if I got that done) and STILL have guards who I am apparently the boss of tell me "Watch your step" and have all the respect and political power accorded to a sewer rat, that pisses me off and stops me playing.

Stark

Liturgist
following recommendation from some forumer i installed a mod (sorry forgot the name) that provides better dialog options for some of the NPC in the first village (the very first little village). chatting with the NPCs about their life, etc. not much impact on the story but it made me realize how much better the game would be if only the rest of the NPC in the game have all these little dialogs that make it so much more.... lively. it was at that instant that i decided to uninstall the game. have not looked back at it since.

Fireblade

Erudite
Jarinor said:
What killed the game for me was how little impact you could have on the game world - they had this huge, nicely populated island, and they didn't implement anything that could have made it interesting. There was no physics engine - I can die from falling from a great height, but I can't crush anyone by falling on them? I was prepared to live with that...but when I can be the head of the Mages Guild, leader of the Telvanni, Prelate (or whatever it is) of the Temple and possibly lead the Warriors Guild as well (can't quite remember if I got that done) and STILL have guards who I am apparently the boss of tell me "Watch your step" and have all the respect and political power accorded to a sewer rat, that pisses me off and stops me playing.

Yep, there were so many quests you can do, and all of them totally pointless. No one seemed to care who you were or what you'd done really. Not only that, but there was no real worthwhile reward for doing any of them, especially in light of how easy combat was. Everything just seemed pointless.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Elvander said:
You guys are full of shit. If morrowind had been in isometric, had better dialogue and a more coherent story, better quests and didn't take hours to get from place to place you know you would have loved it. :x

Hah, well, I got the sarcasm. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom