Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It was fun when I played it a few months ago but I'm waiting for it to leave EA.

Freddie

Savant
Finished Saints Row IV.

My earlier impression that Saints Row: The Third was a better game hasn't changed. SR: IV is still a good game, but balancing campaign play and other challenges in game doesn't really work. City take over missions are tied to quests, which is okay, but main quest content missions are few. There are new types of side activities, some pretty cool ideas and it's obvious that Volition was experimenting with a lot of stuff.

But it's a good game that doesn't even try take itself seriously and there are many references to many things, with quite good character commentary regarding various phenomens in game too many to count, but Mass Effect sure get's more than a few 'honourable mentions'. Better yet, some battle sequences work better than anything in ME series. Surely not intentional. Ha!

Since this is very often discounted in bundles or in Steam sale I recommend this. For few Euros worth this is a good even if actual campaign is quite short.

Now playing: Saint Row: Gat out of Hell

This is a 'stand alone expansion' that doesn't require SR: IV.

SR: GooH is even more of the same style of game than SR: IV. Campaign is very short. I haven't played the final mission yet, but it's like 4 to 6 hours to finish this unless player wants to do all the city take over missions and challenges. Lot of features are stripped and main SR cast is just two characters.

If there is anything worth in this, it's for people interested recycling assets and trying to create something new from them, which this games does very well. I paid 4 Euros for this during Steam Christmas sale, but unless you are interested about assets and economy in creating something like this, I can't recommend this for even that price.

Overall this was a good series, but I can understand why Volition has left SR and is developing a new brand. There's just nowhere to go any more with SR series.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Restarted my Inquisitor playthrough as a Priest. If I got the knowledge and put more though in the character investment at the first time...
Also tried other classess - Paladin and Thief.
Melee in that game sux massive balls, only strength of Paladin is Repair skill, extremely helpful in deep dungeons, where even 3 tabs for weapons are not enough...
Thief have easy time, since he does not rely on melee. He's p.nice spellcaster thanks to his background (exiled noble, can read books), while paladin is just meatshield peasant rebeliant.

I know the spell effects are the same as the other (I dare to say Arcanum spells are better than these) but the names alone make the deal. There is some pleasure in treating your enemies (heretics! xenos! demons!) with Crucifixion, Stoning, turning them into Pillar of Salt, then spice show up with Dance of the Dead and Locust Swarm. Locust Swarms are the best damage per mana spent deal.
Even though you level up rather quickly (but not as fast as Arcanum characters) - your first offensive spell come at level 15. It's good idea to get bows and items that add +20 and more to ChanceToHit.

pippin

The atrocious pathfinding, clicking armies around and watch them reshuffle for the umpteenth time killing any momentum

I don't know if you played AOE1, but in comparison 2 feels like a dream at least in those aspects

sullynathan

Arcane
A man needs games to play. I completed Portable 3rd and now I'm stuck with that feeling after beating a game, which game should I continue?

COD 1
Devil May Cry 2
GTA Lost and damned
Onimusha 3
Prey
Prince of Persia classic
Saints Row 2
Fallout
Severance Blade of Darkness
Ocarina of Time
Thief Gold
Tomb Raider Anniversary

jaelkeiset

Educated
I waste my time in ArmA. Mostly in the editor, coding things, tinkering... It has a mighty, but finicky script language.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A man needs games to play. I completed Portable 3rd and now I'm stuck with that feeling after beating a game, which game should I continue?

COD 1
Very good WW2 linear shooter, if you are into that.
Devil May Cry 2
Don't touch that if you know what is good for you.
GTA Lost and damned
I've heared it's pretty good if you are into GTAs.
Onimusha 3
I dunno what is this.
Good for what it is, decent shooter with some good gameplay mechanics.
Prince of Persia classic
Which version is that?
Saints Row 2
Good GTA clone if you into these.
Overrated.
:M
It's awesome of course, but the combat is meh.
Severance Blade of Darkness
People say it is good.
Ocarina of Time
It's Zelda, i don't know what to make of it, never was a huge fan of the series.
Thief Gold
One of the best games of all time, I don't know why haven't you played it yet.
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Play it, it's also pretty good.

So overall, you should play Thief and Fallout. Then COD1, then Tomb Raider. Then play Pillars of Eternity.

pippin

Fallout is actually p. short. I'd say it can take you like 10 or 15 hours if you look around a bit, but you can always go straight to the last location and finish the game early obviously.
The bad thing about replaying it is that I always go towards Shady Sands. I saw an idiot playing it on youtube and he went straight to Necropolis. I felt a little envious, I must admit... that "where the fuck do I go now" feeling cannot be reproduced.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Here are the games I bought in 2016 and whether they were good or not: (this is just from my Steam purchases list, I forget what I bought elsewhere)

The King: Factorio.
Still in early access, but it's crack cocaine. They have stated it will never go on sale.
Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvXv1Z6EY8

Brigador- Good. Isometric arcadey mech game
God Eater 2 Rage Burst- Refunded
Event[0]- Neat. Indie FPS exploration game where you talk to an AI through a console in freeform text.
Duskers- Kind of neat, I'm not into roguelikes but I'd bet other people would really get into this. You send drones into derelict ships to collect resources using a command line interface.
Hyper Light Drifter- Good. Zelda Souls.
Dark Souls 3- Good, weak for a Souls game but that's better than most
Homeworld Deserts of Kharak- Excellent, a bit short and w/ some tech issues but I think it's as good as the original HW. Really recommend if you like Homeworld.
Firewatch- My GOTY, not everyone will like it, it's a american wilderness novel in FPS exploration/dialogue game form
Sunless Sea- The concept is good, the gameplay is unbearably boring. bad music
Warshift- Refunded
Abzu- Good music (same guy who did Journey soundtrack). Journey sequel that's not quite as good
Doom- Very Good
Kentucky Route Zero- Good (early access, 1 chapter out of 5 still left I think). I don't know how to describe it. It's an indie game about spooky weirdness in Kentucky.
Inside- Exceptionally fantastic visuals, okay gameplay. Limbo sequel.
Ashes of the Singularity- Refunded
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition- Great. Metroidvania and the best looking video game ever made.
Stardew Valley- Refunded
The Flame in the Flood- Regret not refunding
Steam Controller- absolute worthless garbage
The Witness- It's ok
Invisible Inc + Contingency Plan DLC- Fantastic. Turn based stealth tactical roguelike with 80s spy vibe (or 70s? 60s?)
Sattelite Reign- Refunded
Broforce- Refunded
XCom 2- Regret not refunding

edit- somehow I forgot:
Anno 2205- Utter and complete garbage. 2 steps forward, 10 steps back. Fuck them

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cayne.

Man, sometimes I'm so shit at adventure games. I stuck two times at the beginning.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deus EX: Human Revolution Director's Cut.
Terrorised the police station by thowing frag mines into the main office from the second floor.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Vorark

Erudite
Witcher 3. Decided to give it a shot after all the praise. Not enjoying it much, I think these cinematic games aren't for me anymore and the combat sure isn't helping. I'm still in the first area so maybe it's a case of "it gets better later?"™

Deleted member 7219

Witcher 3. Decided to give it a shot after all the praise. Not enjoying it much, I think these cinematic games aren't for me anymore and the combat sure isn't helping. I'm still in the first area so maybe it's a case of "it gets better later?"™

I don't think you'll enjoy The Witcher 3, although the "boss fights" you'll get as part of the main quests can get quite varied and challenging, the focus of the game is very much on story, reactivity, conversations etc.

If you prefer a game with good systems, The Witcher 3 isn't it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Doom
59E1C7A7CD583EAC24A62268E4221F5542EC4C53

9688EF9984FB82E8F2B7B31337CBF473A52CAC1B

164B8101F0228D30C2F71920D06BE719293B6E2D

E6C91927CAC70CA8A87F38F9712A54FDBB83804E

1A7AE00287314569B01857C0F5C6A35CD133CA2A

The wad is called Moonblood and it's pretty sweet so far. Difficulty is comparable to vanilla Doom 2

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
Icewind Dale: having a blast, I forgot so much of it after all those years that it's almost like playing a new game.
Quake Live: aka getting raped by slavs simulator, I suck so much at this, the skill ceiling is insane on a lot of servers after 15 years.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've just finished Furi, minus the final boss because fuck it.

Awesome boss-centric game with the best soundtrack I've listened to in years. I'm biased because I love the genre already, buta anyway here it is.

https://furi.bandcamp.com/

Kahr

Playing Isles of Terra at the moment. Great game, offers me everything i want.
Often i get my ass kicked, because i don't know which areas are for my level, but of course it has the classic satisfaction of returning.
I also like the clues distributed in the whole world so that after exploring a bit everything makes sense.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Holy shit men I've just had an epiphany.

Alpha Protocol starts the same way as PST.

You wake up on a slab with no memory and the first person to speak with you is a talking head.

!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom