Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So, did any of the people who are saying "Of course it wasn't going to sell well, it's Torment/it's the middle of the week/it's in the middle of big releases/blah blah blah" actually make that prediction before the game launched? I mean, we've known all these things for a while, but I don't recall anyone thinking that they'd cause Torment to sell a fraction of what PoE did.
I've been saying this for a while now...

Same here, I was worried about sales for a long time, even before all the development drama started. Quality of the final game aside, T:TON certainly had more ambition than all of the other KS RPGs combined, so I wanted it to do well, if only so other developers get encouraged that experimenting with weird shit can pay off big time. But it looks like it does not, and we're fucking doomed to be repeating tolkienesque fantasy RPGs and starwarsy sci-fi RPGs, forever and ever until the end of tme.

:negative:

Turjan

Arcane
Saying that it's a spiritual successor to cult classic that nobody has played also makes no sense, because a game cannot be a cult classic if noone has played it.
Oh, you of little faith. Why would becoming a cult classic have anything to do with actually playing the game? It's completely sufficient that enough game journos and bloggers repeat the mantra in order to establish that they are sophisticated gamers. Only the one or two people who started the trend should have played the game. However, even that isn't necessary.

I should go and find this book I have that deals with how to talk about famous books you never read to make you look good in conversations.

What is the book titled? It may be a good comedy:)

Pierre Bayard - How to talk about books you haven't read.

Only 200 hundred pages. Pierre certainly knows his audience well:P
Yup. I haven't read it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it nice game for five finger discount?

(Actually I can borrow it from my relative, but that still counts as five finger discount.)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
T:TON certainly had more ambition than all of the other KS RPGs combined

Sure it had. They have the audacity of delaying the game multiple times, cutting content on the sly, making the main character a mulatto androgen, horrible combat system and mediocre NPCs. Settings are just one feature, you know? You need the other stuff to make the game work.

Mortmal

Arcane
Of course it tank, its far from horrible so far , but that will never please a majority of gamers. There's very little momentum or gameplay, its wall of text after wall of text , all of it well written, but not really hooking you either. It start like this you know who you are, you know what kind of ancient evil is hunting you,thats quite different than planescape torment keeping the mystery till the end. My feeling is like ,ok now we are done with your story let me introduce you to my new awesome setting , this is numerama showroom...Lot to read but you dont feel really concerned by it , very few fights and its turn based another unpopular choice. Not only its turn based but so far there's very little strategic options ,once again its turn based that could have been done real time without losing anything.
Nice visuals i like the alien setting , the companions and story, its not all bad but that game might be as niche as stuff like dear easther to be honest.Highly advised to more contemplative gamers.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Note to Codexers:

In other words, we just want your reviews if they are positive. We don't want real feedback because we know best. This comment speaks volumes about him. It explains the mess that is ToN.

TToN is not a mess. It's has a thing that I would call a POE syndrome (complete lack of combat system). Other weaknesses are bearable.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
tormented_numanuma.jpg

This is both sad and funny.

Chamezero

"Absolutely not. Even if we wanted to do that, I don't think we could afford to, anyway."
- inXile's design philosophy

Sprout

Educated
Reminds me of the whole dragonspear fiasco, except not half as bad, heh. (still early days though)

Not only its turn based but so far there's very little strategic options ,once again its turn based that could have been done real time without losing anything.
Seems to me that turnbased much better serves what they actually wanted to do with the combat. Meaning interactions/talking, we all knew from wasteland 2 that the combat wasn't exactly going to cover itself with glory.

They won't be able to make much amends if the game doesn't sell. :M

I don't like the fact that inXile crowdfunded so many games but it does save their asses from a commercial failure. They can just cut their losses and move on to Wasteland 3.

C'mon, for how long can inXile run three fundraisers for one game delivered? Torment was imploding confidence since Kickstarter+1, not even the backers wish to play this now.

Iri

Educated
What is funny is everyone is everyone is crawling over each other to debate and tear this game apart which means:

Future Classic.

This is a great game and everyone talking sh!t is just being dicks. Go back to playing Fallout 4.

If the codex existed in '99 I gaurantee this thread would look identicle: shitty combat, clunky systems, way too much ambition and underwhelming sales figures as proof of it's failure. For sure, as soon as this blows over everyone will go back to trying to figure out how to give VD a VR BJ.

This is a narrative game- people keep bringing up CYOA books as a point of reference because it has more in common with bookstories than computer games. I think that is awesome. The whole point of the game is to get people to use their imaginations while dissecting a heroic narrative arc and inserting a player (reader) into the narrative. Every other RPG I can think of focus on creating gameplay systems and grafting story onto it. This game definitely is a a multiple-path narrative (which is actually insanely hard to make seem fulfilling for every player) with a game grafted to it. I have intentionally gone in blind- avoided reading anything and I don't even know how many companions there are in game- and it is an awe-inspiring piece of collaborative fiction.

PS
This game selling well is also the only one-in-a-million chance in hell for maybe, just maybe, an MCA helmed/guided sequel in the Torment franchise.

TedNugent

Arcane
:bounce: Can't wait for the Codex review. Vault Dweller please. :dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom