Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bosses and more elite enemies require some more thought tho.

My friend said that game become a lot harder after lvl 20 on very hard difficulty. Especially some Snapmaw groups have Dark Souls like difficulty he says.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My friend said that game become a lot harder after lvl 20 on very hard difficulty. Especially some Snapmaw groups have Dark Souls like difficulty he says.
I think my problem was starting on normal, the game is clearly meant to be played at a higher difficulty.

tripedal

Savant
The Witcher 3 inspiration is huge, and it shows why they hired CD Projekt RED’s Lead Cinematic Artist Pawel Swierczynski, Quest Designer Dennis Zoetebier, and senior Technical Designer Shadi Dadenji.

How's the writing? Did the John Gonzalez hire pay off?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How's the writing? Did the John Gonzalez hire pay off?
The characters and story are well done but there are some issues with awkward pauses between lines and overly dramatic voice acting.

One of the earlier side quests has you searching for a schizophrenic brother of a tribal you meet in the wild, while you talk with her she's all distressed about her brother but she's looking forward and not towards your character, makes for a weird disconnect.

I'm really curious about the story, there are certain matrix undertones going on if I'm not being mislead, about a human vs AI war, but then again I don't think these tribals are entirely human themselves, too much weird stuff going on.

Overall I think it has one of the most interesting stories in a ps4 game I have played so far this generation.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ex CDProjekt staff... eh... Is this game a cutscene fest or there is actually legitimate gameplay in it?

sullynathan

Arcane
Ex CDProjekt staff... eh... Is this game a cutscene fest or there is actually legitimate gameplay in it?
The gameplay looks far better than the Witcher 3's not that it's saying much. There are some really bad cutscenes I saw but I'm guessing they've patched it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
CD projekt red congratulated guerilla for the launch of horizon

4dd483504577199e185d642138f96cef.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
It's the first PS4 game I've played which seemed to have been actually optimised to run well on the system; other games have ridiculous loading times (the culmination of which was Witcher 3 sometimes pausing after line of dialogue while it loaded the next one) and even other exclusives like Bloodborne dropped frames at a rate that must have been caught during QA. This game has a smooth framerate and looks mostly great with acceptable loading times. Characters' faces look a bit plastic and animations are noticeably stiff, but I can forgive that because it just makes me think affectionately of the PS2 era, and it's not like Bioware's laughable animations count against them among The Normies.

All of that does not a great game make of course, and the gameplay wasn't enough to hook me in the few hours I played- and by the way, I was still in the tutorial zone all that time, how long does this damn thing take to get going? The story is possibly interesting but the premise seems generic (post-apocalypse tribal societies) and stupid (herds of robots that graze??) I did catch that the robots used to be placid but started getting more and more hostile coincidentally around the same time the protagonist was born under mysterious circumstances that left her an orphan, and I'll be happy to pick that plot thread up when I buy the game on sale.

Sure been an enjoyable game so far, it's keeping me away from Torment tides of Numenera, as my time during the weekdays is limited. However I still think it was the better choice given the two.

Graphics, animations, cloud system, rain, day and night cycles which are freaken amazing. Beyond the story is interesting, characters, and the world.

can i ask a question, is HZD really so good that it should be recommended? if so should i play it? i don't have PS4 yet but i plan to get one someday. the gameplay and trailers look really incredible. i have little bit of feeling that it could be enjoyable game.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played a fair few hours. 4 or so, I think. Few impressions:

Tutorial was p. long but I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. The bow mechanics are especially satisfying and I'm always a sucker for stealth gameplay, no matter how slight. Creeping through the grass and stabbing a mechanical chocobo in the neck is fun.

The game looks pretty damn good - Witcher 3 levels of flora gorgeousness. Grass sways, the player character's hair actually moves (gasp) and water drips from her face in the rain. Lip syncing is bad, but everything else is a beauty.

You get the opportunity to choose what you say at certain intervals; friendly, confrontational or cunning. I'm not sure how much it shapes things but it's nice to LARP as a bitch occasionally. Main story is shaping up to be interesting and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Also, it may be a small thing but I thought the
gravestone scene after you become the Seeker
was a really nice touch. Really liked that. Thumbs up.

Keppo

Arbiter
So, I picked this up yesterday afternoon and spent the rest of the day playing it, some thoughts:

The engine is a fucking work of amazing engineering. Very smooth, few to no loads, instant saves, extremely fast Ui and responsiveness.

Fuck these animations and traversal are smooth.

The visuals and art direction are great, they go a long way in establishing a believable and Immersive world that pull the player into exploring every nook and cranny.

The rpg systems are somewhat light, 4 or 5 skill lines focusing on combat, stealth, resources. With crafting and gear upgrades tacked on.

Its similar to mass effect in many regards, there is a dialogue wheel, you can talk to npcs about a variety of topics and there are dragon age 2 moments of be a dick, be a smart ass or be a kind hearted soul.

The side quests are well done and not your typical fetch kill quests. The Witcher 3 inspiration is huge, and it shows why they hired CD Projekt RED’s Lead Cinematic Artist Pawel Swierczynski, Quest Designer Dennis Zoetebier, and senior Technical Designer Shadi Dadenji.

The combat is too easy, as the stealth mechanics are overpowered as fuck for random enemies. Bosses and more elite enemies require some more thought tho.

So far I'm enjoying it, and if the game stick to 20-30 hours, I can see myself enjoying the experience.

Paweł Swierczynski is working again in CDPR since nov 2015, so his contribution was not that much, 9 months of work leading cinematics.

I dont have console, but i dont need to tell that they have top notch programmers because game looks great, if feels the same as looks like u said then they really did outstanding job with the code.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
You missed uncharted 4, ratchet and clank and NiOh?
Yep. Thinking of getting Nioh though, and even though I disliked Uncharted 3, 4 has enough positive buzz that god help me I'm considering it

Uncharted 4 is a good movie/game/indiana jones simulator but if you didn't like 3 I can't see you liking it enough to justify spending money on it. 3 was a step back from 2 but it's all the same shit really.

I'm only a few hours in but am enjoying myself in a brainless walking simulator kinda way. If the story is good I will probably look back fondly on the experience, if it turns out to be rubbish I will look back and wonder what the fuck I was doing wtih my life. It sure is pretty and smooth to play though. Fuck me modern open world collectathon fetch quest crafty crafty garbage is some degenerate nonsense and I hope it goes away soon though.

Ent

Savant
One of my coworkers got triggered over how inept the matriarchal tribe was. Gave me a good chuckle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom